My first 147 while practicing Snooker!(with poolcue)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
But, but, but .... poolplayers aren't supposed to be able to play snooker.

Great job, and it answers fantasy questions. You're a great cueist, and you can play any cue game. Even with a pool cue. I have played about a total of 10 hours on a 6x12 snooker table and have a couple of breaks over 50. A good cueist can adapt to any game, IMO.

I love how you got mad when you got funny shape after the yellow. And even though I knew you were going to have a perfect break, I was still on the edge of my seat at each shot.

Amazing by job!

Freddie <~~~ not getting any centuries any time soon

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dunno. I always felt I could do it.. but 147 is more like a joke to get if you are not a Pro.
We always make a jokes in game if someone gets a chance to even start trying 147. "you get 147 bottle of vodka for bonus if you can make it".. or something similar. Like unicorn of game. I put it really high but my 154 14.1 run on difficult table I think it is more difficult.

There you go dispelling more fantasy myths again. Be careful. The snooker police are watching you.

Freddie <~~~ waiting for someone to comment on size

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Marvelous...this might be one for Guinness records.
...a 147 with a pool cue

Is that an LD shaft?....and what size of tip?
I found that a Predator Z shaft handled spin pretty close to how my snooker cue did.

Thanks All! I am so happy:D

I normally play pool with normal deflection shaft. I did get 11.75mm Z2 shaft just to play Snooker sometimes. It deflects little bit less(on Snooker) than my normal shaft on Pool.

The commission would never approve the chalk on the rail and I believe that is an illegal stance, definitely not the standard snooker academy stance.

Are you using a snooker cue or a regular cue? If it is a regular cue what is the tip diameter?

Ahem.................

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno. I always felt I could do it.. but 147 is more like a joke to get if you are not a Pro.
We always make a jokes in game if someone gets a chance to even start trying 147. "you get 147 bottle of vodka for bonus if you can make it".. or something similar. Like unicorn of game. I put it really high but my 154 14.1 run on difficult table I think it is more difficult.
Best thing is I proved again to myself I still am improving my game even I am already 40.. :)
I should maybe compete more ... but I like just trying to improve without worries about messing my game on season. :p
Just for enjoy. Pool and other cuesports keep my life refreshing.

Is there a video of the 154? I would love to see it. That must have been one tough table for you to say it was more difficult than the 147.
again, thx for the video.
steven

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a video of the 154? I would love to see it. That must have been one tough table for you to say it was more difficult than the 147.
again, thx for the video.
steven

It was a small money game against my friend years ago(maybe ten). No phone or cameras around then..
Keeping focus such a long time is hard for me. That is why I think long 14.1 run is harder.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was awesome! When I saw the title was thinking this would be some joke or BS thread but your run was amazing. Great last red and your bridge (rest) technique is fantastic. Congratulations

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
incredible

might be an argument to be made in favour of using a pool cue, i noticed similarirties between your potting and old footage of steve mizerak playing snooker with his pool cue

specifically fantastic world class potting and just a smidge or two off on position

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
incredible

might be an argument to be made in favour of using a pool cue, i noticed similarirties between your potting and old footage of steve mizerak playing snooker with his pool cue

specifically fantastic world class potting and just a smidge or two off on position

The Miz played with a snooker cue..made by Richard Black, pretty sure.
Jim Rempe's snooker cue was a Meucci.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome job. 147 with a pool cue.. heh, that will make some people do a double take.

On slower snooker tables I do set aside my snooker cue sometimes and go with my pool cue. (No 147 ... yet... hell I'm not sure if I've even made a century with my pool cue) But if the table isn't going to roll forever, a maple shaft is just fun, being able to smack those balls with sidespin and do things you normally won't want to risk with a snooker cue. That looked like a blast.

smashmouth said:
might be an argument to be made in favour of using a pool cue...

Unfortunately the maple shafts on pool cues are a bit too 'squishy' to be full-time snooker cues. Pool players also generally use softer tips than in snooker. Pool cues are great when you want to be able to hit a firm stun or runthrough with and slide into position without with CB rolling out on you... but in snooker your usual methods of getting shape are different, and the shape you want heading into the pocket is different, more often having to play for much straighter shots with less/absent sidespin and slower pocketing speeds. So, you need a stiffer shaft and harder tip to precisely control your and draw/screwback to manouevre around the pack. Also those light balls on napped cloth are highly reactive to even moderate degrees cue elevation and with some of the potting distances that just makes life difficult, so you'll notice snooker cues have thinner joints and butts that let you get more flush to the table than the larger diameter found on pool cues -- unlike pool you almost always have a dire need to cue as level as possible so you need a cue with a tip that can strike the bottom half of a smaller ball while keeping the butt as low as possible.

The qualities of a pool cues give you a lot of options for CB control but when you're hitting those smaller lighter snooker balls and trying to play for a very narrow window in a crowded pack of reds, a crisper hit and small hard tip really helps you dial in the exact amount of front/back spin you want. More importantly snooker cues can also put ridiculous force follow on a ball with excellent control, a huge advantage when you're trying bend your shot to develop (break out) a ball. I love playing snooker with an 11.5 mm LD (pro-taper!) pool shaft, but I know I'd run into problems playing on a tournament-quality table, especially if I had to use a medium or soft tip. Pool cue tips are just a little too large and too soft for working your draw/follow speeds precisely in snooker, you'd be placing a very high demand on yourself especially on some of the ridiculously fast snooker tables out there.

You may notice in that 147 run the few times he flirted with disaster was when a draw didn't go quite right. But on the flip side, he rescued it repeatedly with great stuns and shots played with side that you would usually be a little bit of a tester with a snooker cue.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job! Very impressive.

I think we need a "top amateur" shooter prize on AZ. Maybe PoolManis vs Tin Man? Any other contenders?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our pool tables are bad shape right now. We get new Simonis soon.. I also did watch so much Snooker lately so I was inspired to shoot some Snooker.

So I played some Snooker against new players last evening and made couple 70+ breaks while not really focusing. I then began dogging shots and decided to stay practice Snooker after our poolhall closes.

I did shoot against Ghost on Snooker while trying make 147 after breakshot and ball in hand:wink:... Last time I tried I made 105...
I made my first 147! Not the cleanest run.. but anyways. I made it now on practice. That proved to myself I can do it at game too if i get place to start. :grin-square::grin-square:

Best part is I had just a little bit battery left on my mobile.. So I did take it on video:eek:(should be up on HD soon)

https://youtu.be/rRtIEF_vL0A

I'm a little late to the game here, but I watched this last night and I have to say that this video is extremely inspirational.
The aspect of doing the rarified impossible of a 147 is great unto itself, but when you step back and take it in as a whole - the entire video defines and represents the true dedication of a pool player.

Alone, at a table, in silence, pure focus on every shot...the dialogue expressed by the looks of intensity, relief, let-down, frustration and ultimately triumph are a running commentary all together - a commentary only those who've invested time into this game can really translate and understand.

I've watched you in this and other videos and it reminds me of the work and time that needs to be invested in order to obtain that high level of play.

Your dedication, time, and work invested does not go unnoticed and it inspires me to make sure I keep up my hours or at least understand why I didn't obtain that last run out or position on the next ball - I simply have not done the work.

Watching a pro go 147 in the crucible with cheering fans is of course a sight to behold and now watching an amateur player hit 147 on his own, alone at practice, brings a whole new level of inspiration.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just saw this.

Very impressive.

An inspiration to us all.

Way to go,
Dave

Our pool tables are bad shape right now. We get new Simonis soon.. I also did watch so much Snooker lately so I was inspired to shoot some Snooker.

So I played some Snooker against new players last evening and made couple 70+ breaks while not really focusing. I then began dogging shots and decided to stay practice Snooker after our poolhall closes.

I did shoot against Ghost on Snooker while trying make 147 after breakshot and ball in hand:wink:... Last time I tried I made 105...
I made my first 147! Not the cleanest run.. but anyways. I made it now on practice. That proved to myself I can do it at game too if i get place to start. :grin-square::grin-square:

Best part is I had just a little bit battery left on my mobile.. So I did take it on video:eek:(should be up on HD soon)

https://youtu.be/rRtIEF_vL0A

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess Ronnie heard you were catching up on his record, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQgib177S2w&feature=youtu.be

How cool is Ronnie O...phone rings in the background...announcer cracking some jokes...and Ronnie just continues to shoot the eyes right off them balls.

Wow. The crowd reaction as he gets down to the end is awesome. Now does this count towards Ronnie's already world record total of 147's, or are those only in official competitions?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How cool is Ronnie O...phone rings in the background...announcer cracking some jokes...and Ronnie just continues to shoot the eyes right off them balls.

Wow. The crowd reaction as he gets down to the end is awesome. Now does this count towards Ronnie's already world record total of 147's, or are those only in official competitions?
It doesn't count towards the record. I'd guess he has about 100 in practice and exhibitions.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't count towards the record. I'd guess he has about 100 in practice and exhibitions.

Jimmy White said he had around 200 in practice in his last book (which was written a few years ago now), so I'd guess if you include practice matches and exhibitions Ronnie probably has well over that!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess Ronnie got 1k+ maxinums breaks if we count practice too...
Robin Hull. Finnish pro have made hundreds of 147..
If Ronnie's maximums/century ratio is the same in practice as it is in competition that would mean that he has had about 70,000 centuries in practice. I suppose that's not impossible but it is an average of six centuries per day for the last 30 years.