My first cue and case

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the picture and can't tell which shop that is. It looks a little like when he was in his brother's shop when he was Florida Cues. But that also looks like the big closet behind him he had full of cues at the Star Cue shop.
I think that is the STAR shop- I would visit with Abe in the early 1990s as I traveled to Miami once a year on business- on that desk to his right he kept his "cue order" book- my SP order is still there somewhere:):) Old Abe seemed kind of out of it by the mid 90s- I returned for my cue and he had no recollection of the order- but I ended up getting one from him and a Kotlin cue case- they made rifle cases and Abe talked up their American made quality- it was a great soft cue case. I enjoyed visiting with him - great memories!

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a Viking, (not including the $10 Kmart cue).
I bought it in 1977 and it was $90. I still have it.
IMG_4667.jpeg
IMG_4668.jpeg

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My first cue was a Viking, (not including the $10 Kmart cue).
I bought it in 1977 and it was $90. I still have it.
View attachment 719404View attachment 719405
That's the same as my first cue but mine doesnt have the inlays, got it in 1981, I think it was $80. Sold it to my best friend in 1986 when I got my McDermott D-11 which I still have. My friend still has my old blue Viking but he wont part with it but I do have the exact same Viking in green.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
lets guess how many people are gonna offer him to buy it for real cheap. im guessinggggggg 8 people.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that is the STAR shop- I would visit with Abe in the early 1990s as I traveled to Miami once a year on business- on that desk to his right he kept his "cue order" book- my SP order is still there somewhere:):) Old Abe seemed kind of out of it by the mid 90s- I returned for my cue and he had no recollection of the order- but I ended up getting one from him and a Kotlin cue case- they made rifle cases and Abe talked up their American made quality- it was a great soft cue case. I enjoyed visiting with him - great memories!
Since I took the picture
It is the Star shop
See post #20

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a Lucasi sneaky pete. It was great, but then I got the cue bug and away I went.

tedinfl

I bought my first cue at the Brunswick Sunnyside bowling alley/pool room in Danvers MA around 1970 and still have it. I hit a few balls with it now and then and it's still straight and solid. Had it rewrapped and tipped by Ted Harris a while ago when he was in Hollywood FL. I have no idea what model it is but I'm pretty sure it's a Brunswick. Paid about 80 for it. Can anyone out there help me out with this? This is also my first post so if I did anything wrong, please forgive me...IMG_20230208_105125697.jpgIMG_20230208_105346199.jpgIMG_20230208_105320436.jpg

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool!

My first cue was a Kmart special. Never had a "real" cue until I bought a Mali in 1984 or so. The box case is still around somewhere too. I still have that one, along with every other cue I've owned since.

Happily, the Kmart cue is long gone.

IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5176.jpeg

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought my first cue at the Brunswick Sunnyside bowling alley/pool room in Danvers MA around 1970 and still have it. I hit a few balls with it now and then and it's still straight and solid. Had it rewrapped and tipped by Ted Harris a while ago when he was in Hollywood FL. I have no idea what model it is but I'm pretty sure it's a Brunswick. Paid about 80 for it. Can anyone out there help me out with this? This is also my first post so if I did anything wrong, please forgive me...View attachment 719479View attachment 719480View attachment 719481
Welcome aboard. Would like to see better pictures but looks like a Rich cue. Someone chime in on that.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My very 1st actual cue was a K-mart Dufferin 2-piece that felt like mush with a brass joint that would not stay together. I think it was a $20 cue from the early 80's. Alas, camera phones did not exist back then, so I did not get photos of it. However, my parents did give me this Meucci Original as a graduation present for my 2nd cue, and given its sentimental value, I was not going to part with it so easily.

Sx0wJ6H.jpg

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Yes but I just started playing for real 5 years ago. Not as cool as yours.
My first is the beauty on the left . A Minnesota Fats Graphite. I just started playing about five years ago. My Dad gave me the cue. Which I use for a year or so before deciding I liked playing enough to get a nicer cue. The case isn’t even worth mentioning.

Technically my first but the Pechauers I got and use as well as my JB case are really what I’ve cut my teeth on.

IMG_6148.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

LarryO

Here are pictures of my first cue and case, and the man who sold them to me! I still have them today!
Willie Hoppe cue $19.95 matching case $10.95
Sequoia Billiards 1963

Anyone still have their first cue?
No pix, but bought my first cue and case from Chet Morrissin the Maryland burbs of DC. That was in 59. The cue was a 26 and to long for the case I watched him turn it on his lathe. Quite an experience. Eventually replaced the shafts with Predaters.

LarryO

L.S. Dennis

No pix, but bought my first cue and case from Chet Morrissin the Maryland burbs of DC. That was in 59. The cue was a 26 and to long for the case I watched him turn it on his lathe. Quite an experience. Eventually replaced the shafts with Predaters.

LarryO
Interesting older than mine! I'm somewhat curious that no one asked who was the man who me mine!

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
My first cue was a green Mizerak Signature cue bought in 1994 at the base "sporting goods" shop on the Yongsan Army base in South Korea. Attached pic is not mine, but it was the same cue.

Second cue was a Meucci "Maximum" with grey forearm and blue wrap that I ordered from the catalog at the rec center on Fort Lewis, WA. Lost that one to a thief who stole it from beside me when I fell asleep in the dayroom in front of an Accu-Stats VHS tape. I really liked that cue.

Aside: That Meucci Maximum, before it was stolen, was confiscated by the MPs when I got arrested for gambling on pool in the base club. Ms. Annie, the front door lady, ratted me out to the MPs, and they sent a pretty blonde investigator in to pretend she had lost her money to another guy, and asked me to play him to try and get it back for her.

I was so dumb and horny, I fell for it. It was entrapment of course so nothing came of it, but they held my cue for something like a month as "evidence". I was a pretty good player by then, and I ended up buying another Steve Mizerak Signature cue to hold me over until I could get my cue back. Other players gave me a lot of grief when they saw me shooting with it..

miz.JPG

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My first cue was a $35 cheapo I bought before heading to college in RI.
Within a month (Oct. 1983), I "traded up" to this JOSS.
This cue/case have been in use for the last 40 years and I couldn't be happier. I love this cue.
joss1.jpg

joss2.JPG

joss3.jpg