My man Steve

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve Leistokow came by my place last night and "tuned" up my Diamond table. He is the go-to man for fixing pool tables in Southern Cal now, with Ernesto mainly doing the big poolroom jobs. Steve does those too but he's willing to come to your home and do a house call. I wish now I had taken some pics of him doing his work. He had machine levels all over my table, with a super precise one for the fine tuning (I had never seen one like it - measures to .1 thousands!).

Steve really knows his stuff, and pointed out to me some of the pros and cons of the hallowed Diamond Pro-Am table. A lot of it had to do with the rails and the way the rubber is attached to them. He has a pretty good idea of why they all bank short. I won't go into that here, just suffice to say that I got a little tutorial along with the rehab.

The Diamond (like most pool tables) is made of wood and wood moves! That's why they will get out of level after a while, no matter what you do or how firm the ground is under them. The rail bolts also loosen over time and need to be re-tightened to keep them springy.

If you live in the SoCal area I can't recommend Steve highly enough. My table is playing great now, dead level everywhere! He worked on it for maybe an hour and half. Would have probably taken less time if I would have left him alone. :)

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve is definitely knowledgeable. Several years ago I listened to him and Kenny Thomason discuss tables at Hardtimes. I was sitting at the table nex to them and learned more about tables in 40 minutes than I had learned in my entire life. Straight up guy.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Steve Leistokow came by my place last night and "tuned" up my Diamond table. He is the go-to man for fixing pool tables in Southern Cal now, with Ernesto mainly doing the big poolroom jobs. Steve does those too but he's willing to come to your home and do a house call. I wish now I had taken some pics of him doing his work. He had machine levels all over my table, with a super precise one for the fine tuning (I had never seen one like it - measures to .1 thousands!).

Steve really knows his stuff, and pointed out to me some of the pros and cons of the hallowed Diamond Pro-Am table. A lot of it had to do with the rails and the way the rubber is attached to them. He has a pretty good idea of why they all bank short. I won't go into that here, just suffice to say that I got a little tutorial along with the rehab.

The Diamond (like most pool tables) is made of wood and wood moves! That's why they will get out of level after a while, no matter what you do or how firm the ground is under them. The rail bolts also loosen over time and need to be re-tightened to keep them springy.

If you live in the SoCal area I can't recommend Steve highly enough. My table is playing great now, dead level everywhere! He worked on it for maybe an hour and half. Would have probably taken less time if I would have left him alone. :)
Uh, oh!
Can't get a hold of him. Way too busy these days.
Lucky you.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Uh, oh!
Can't get a hold of him. Way too busy these days.
Lucky you.

It only took me two months to get him up here. He was busy all the time! Even yesterday, he had to make two stops before he got to my house. Finally called me at 8:30 PM to see if I was still available. Came by at 9 and was done by 10:30. Crawled all around underneath my table, wrenching on things that go bump in the night. I didn't want to look. I never like to see the underside of anything. It's usually ugly and I like the top of my Diamond just fine!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It only took me two months to get him up here. He was busy all the time! Even yesterday, he had to make two stops before he got to my house. Finally called me at 8:30 PM to see if I was still available. Came by at 9 and was done by 10:30. Crawled all around underneath my table, wrenching on things that go bump in the night. I didn't want to look. I never like to see the underside of anything. It's usually ugly and I like the top of my Diamond just fine!

Yup, he's really busy.
Now stuck in a pool hall for a while.

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same here....waited about 2 months for him to set up my Gold Crown. Well worth the wait though....did a fantastic job, and a really great guy. Table plays PERFECT!