My New Case.....that I made......

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
the plastic tubing in just about every tube case made is extruded. this means it has been made by forcing molten plastic through a steel form and then allowing it to travel through water to cool it.

most of the time anything other than standard round sizes found in the hardware store have have a special mold made for them. you can certainly browse through the websites of plastic extruders to see what types of forms they offer without having to maske a mold. but there is often a minimum order that is more than most hobbyists need.

Kelli Cases had nothing to do with Kelly tubing as far as I know.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't mean Kelli Cases.

Somebody told me once that Kelly tubes were used in some cases years ago....not Kelli Cases. Could be wrong, I don't know. Seems plausible though.

That whole minimum order thing is what I have mentioned before as a bit of a road block for someone like me. Obviously I'm not going to buy a whole bunch of tubing.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Now you know the hardest thing for you to come up with is going to be an apropos "logo" for your new line of cases!!! I think you should have a contest and whoever wins the contest gets to shoot 5 racks with one of your $35 cues you have tucked away! ;););) You could mail out the cue wrapped securely in green Saran wrap and all will be well! :D

Jason

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you know the hardest thing for you to come up with is going to be an apropos "logo" for your new line of cases!!! I think you should have a contest and whoever wins the contest gets to shoot 5 racks with one of your $35 cues you have tucked away! ;););) You could mail out the cue wrapped securely in green Saran wrap and all will be well! :D

Jason

I will entertain any logo submissions.....

But these cheap cue values are skyrocketing....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28080040278...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_500wt_1287

NoI didn't buy it...... :D Not at that price! LOL!

I'm going to have to reconsider the value of my collection now....should I insure it? :confused: :wink:

OK, lets see those logos.

Maybe this could work?
Daffy_Screwball.gif

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you so much. It was a learning experience. I still have a great deal to learn though and have had so much wonderful input and encouragement since I posted this.

I have had pointers and advice from all kinds of people. What really blew my mind were the offers for me to build something custom ordered. I really don't think I am ready for that, but it's a great confidence booster.

Because of something that developed from this thread I believe I have my next project case lined up in my sights.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After deciding to move forward with the next project and playing around with ideas....the wife took the kids with her to go shopping and I was alone with my thoughts. So, I used the time to seek my inspiration.

You wouldn't believe how great my living room smelled! :thumbup:
Three hides:
IMG_0624.JPG

One hide after wiping it down:
IMG_0625.JPG

My Schott Perfecto and his best friend....leathers that are older than some reading this. And yes they have been down, with me in them, and look how beautiful they still look.
IMG_0626.JPG

The Fellini.....pure class.....
IMG_0627.JPG

The Right To Keep And Bear Arms.....
IMG_0628.JPG

And the whole time I was listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrjRKB586s

Now that's INSPIRATION!

.:cool:

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
regarding reforming tubes with heat......that is a tricky proposition and requires that the plastic you are working with is thermoformable. this isn't the sort of thing you can do with a home blow dryer. I have not found a successful way to reshape tubes using heat that is consistent or worthwhile. I am very sure that Fellini was using pre-made tubes.

that said I have had a little success with fiber reinforced plastic sheeting in 1.2mm thickeners. this material is most commonly used in tennis shoes to mold the sides. it can be heated and of formed. a brand name in this material is kydex.

I have not yet tried fiberglass or carbon fiber.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I am looking at PVC. There is a lot of information about moulding it. A couple of people contacted me about it so I looked into it some.

It seems its actually fairly common practice, but in other contexts. It's done with heat guns, ovens, torches, open fires, I've read all sorts of stuff about it. I've read and seen pictures of an amazing array of heat formed PVC items. Some of it was arts/crafts kind of stuff but a lot of it was custom plumbing. One of the people that got in touch with me was a plumber and he seemed to know a lot about it. Of course reading about it and reality are likely two very different matters.

I don't know where I might have heard that Fellini tubes were made in-house by re-forming round tubing. May just be flat out wrong as you say. Sounds like some of what I thought I knew about these matters was a bit screwed up. Don't know where that came from. Obviously you know a lot more about cue case history than me.

I appreciate your insights into the matter of the tubes.

If it turns out that heat forming PVC is real and not too involved, it certainly would be nice since I could make whatever size/shape I need for any given project.

Personally I hate working in fiberglass and I haven't messed with it since my hot-rodding days 25 years ago.

I'm continuing to read about PVC. I promise I won't try anything stupid....at least not more than once. :D

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made this as a gift for a friend. Thought I would post some pics. This was done with hand stitching, freehand basically.

I'm getting better......somewhat.

I am also playing around with saddle stitching with hemp cord. Cool stuff, extremely strong. In cord form it is smooth, a lot like linen actually, unlike the twine form which is what most are used to seeing which is rough and fuzzy.

Next weekend I may have another actual cue case done. We'll see how it goes. Somebody is waiting for the next cue case, so I really want to get it done.

Still playing with thermoforming PVC as well.... practicing stitching.....learning about leather......

Thank you all again for your support and comments. :smile:

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
Hooked at 70 yrs. old

After deciding to move forward with the next project and playing around with ideas....the wife took the kids with her to go shopping and I was alone with my thoughts. So, I used the time to seek my inspiration.

You wouldn't believe how great my living room smelled! :thumbup:
Three hides:
IMG_0624.JPG

One hide after wiping it down:
IMG_0625.JPG

My Schott Perfecto and his best friend....leathers that are older than some reading this. And yes they have been down, with me in them, and look how beautiful they still look.
IMG_0626.JPG

The Fellini.....pure class.....
IMG_0627.JPG

The Right To Keep And Bear Arms.....
IMG_0628.JPG

And the whole time I was listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbrjRKB586s

Now that's INSPIRATION!

.:cool:

Iwas already hooked on fellini cases but never paid any attention to Led Zepplin. Boy have i been missing a lot. Thx. Chopdoc. The case you made is cool too.
"country" Bob

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I made this as a gift for a friend. Thought I would post some pics. This was done with hand stitching, freehand basically.

I am also playing around with saddle stitching with hemp cord. Cool stuff, extremely strong. In cord form it is smooth, a lot like linen actually, unlike the twine form which is what most are used to seeing which is rough and fuzzy.

Next weekend I may have another actual cue case done. We'll see how it goes. Somebody is waiting for the next cue case, so I really want to get it done.

Still playing with thermoforming PVC as well.... practicing stitching.....learning about leather......

IMG_0655.JPG

Hey Doc,

I see all those years of academic training is paying off with your endeavors
in something other than helping your fellow man. Got have some fun with that organic chemistry and microbiology knowledge. LOL.

Keep up the great work in developing your case techniques.

Rick

Last edited:

jimmycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New case and Joss jump butt

Awesome job on your cases, they look really nice. Also i have the same Joss jump butt, but mine is red.
Jimmy K

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome job on your cases, they look really nice. Also i have the same Joss jump butt, but mine is red.
Jimmy K

They made them as a standard in red. I think that was in 1992 if I remember correctly. I spoke to Dan Janes on the phone and asked for one without stain. As far as I know, I have the only one made without stain.

It was right after I got that jump butt that I made that box case....mid 1992 I think.

EDIT: If anybody knows of or sees another such butt without stain please let me know. Until and unless I know of another I am under the impression mine is the only one.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my suggestion is to present your work to the folks at www.leatherworker.net . they are the support group that can give you advice on how to improve you skills.

Thanks.

I have read stuff over there extensively, as well as other forums. I have also read all the old Stohlman books. I have a voracious appetite for study and learn at a very high rate. The technical skills are very much supported by my surgical training. Same kind of thing really. I am obsessed with training myself with such skills and have been for years. That is what drew me to surgery....and in part to leather.

Right now I am just a lurker over there. If I have questions I am sure I will create an account and ask. I was a lurker here for years before joining.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMG_0655.JPG

Hey Doc,

I see all those years of academic training is paying off with your endeavors
in something other than helping your fellow man. Got have some fun with that organic chemistry and microbiology knowledge. LOL.

Keep up the great work in developing your case techniques.

Rick

Thanks for the encouragement.

The little envelope case was done with a lockstitch awl. If you check my signature where I have some leatherwork you will see a link to some pics of the Valentine's gift I made my wife. That was done with saddle stitched hemp.

I am building skills.....and playing with materials and techniques. All working toward a cue case. A good case. Not like the first one in this post at all.

I have actually moved away from machine stitching for the moment. Partly because I don't have a heavy machine, but partly because I found I really like the hand stitching. The saddle stitch is flat out superior to the lock stitching you get on a machine or with a lockstitch awl anyway.