My Take on the MN Pool Bootcamp

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to work with Demetrius Jelatis in September of last year. I would have written this sooner, but I am in the middle of some career changes and when I am not working on that, I chase my toddler. The combination of the two, keeps me pretty busy. Also, I wanted to sit with the experience for a while before I wrote something.

I am 43, and I am primarily a one pocket player. I have a relatively advanced skill set. My estimate is that I am around a 650 Fargorate. Even though, I play one pocket primarily, I enjoy Demetrius’ perspective on pool. Additionally, at the higher skill levels, improvement becomes harder to achieve (given my time limitations), and if I could learn even a few things from Demetrius, my game would have to pick up a little bit. I have always admired players that were skilled in multiple disciplines (Efren and Shannon Daulton), and since I have fallen into a one pocket specialization, I thought I should really try and build some new competencies. Things got off to a really good start with my flight.

I had to check a bag, because I was bringing my pool cue. I bought a giant duffle bag that would hold my cue and clothes and started looking for flights. Since I was taking a vacation, I refused to do the Southwest Cattle Call, as their prices were not so far below their competitors that it made sense. However, the other airlines make you pay to check a bag. In general, the tickets for me at that time were $350 - $375 plus $75 to check a bag. On a whim, I thought what if I fly first class? Those seats were $420, plus a free checked bag, and free booze. Sold. Kollegedave flew first class for the first time. It was the only flight I have ever been on, where I would have been o.k. if it took longer. Moral of the story, sometimes it makes sense to fly first class.

The three days with Demetrius were busy and intense. Demetrius loves pool. His passion for the game comes through in his teaching. A note to one pocket players that think Nine-ball is for dummies, because “it tells you what ball to shoot”. Nine-ball does not tell you what cue ball path to take or what angle to play for. Listening to Demetrius talk about how to run a nine-ball rack out from a professional perspective made it clear to me that nine-ball is more cerebral than many believe, at least when played at the professional level.

Demetrius is a smart dude. In my opinion, other pros and advanced players probably use the concepts Demetrius teaches, but it is hard for me to imagine those players expressing their ideas as skillfully as Demetrius. For example, many of you have heard Jeremy Jones say on Accu-Stats, “Here is where you have to trust your talent”, or something to that effect. I believe in those situations, at least many times, Jeremy Jones is talking about something Demetrius teaches. In the end, Demetrius gives you some new and valuable concepts, a list of shots to practice, and an evaluation of what you need to work on. If someone were a young player working to polish their 9-ball game, Demetrius' list of shots is a must have. I learned a few things--some were hard truths, and I count myself as a better player for having attended. Also, I flew home first class, so that was cool.

At the Derby this year, Demetrius sought me out. He asked me for feedback on the camp; he asked about my life, and he shared some of what he aspires to accomplish in the future. We caught up on life and pool.

A few months after the Derby, I was struggling with something in my pre-shot routine. If you know anything about Demetrius, you know that he loathes over analyzing fundamentals. I sent him a text describing my problem and asking a few questions. I also asked if he knew how other pros approached this issue. I sent this text to Demetrius on a Saturday, and I am not sure what I expected in return. A very short time later, Demetrius sent me back a very lengthy and very thoughtful text explaining how he handles this issue and how he believes other players handle the issue. The camp had long been over, and Demetrius is still helping me.

There is a lot to gain from the MN Pool Bootcamp. However, it is hard to put a price on the ability to text a 730 player for advice and receiving a super smart response in less than an hour.

We live in a time where people are sharing their lives in edited bites on Facebook and Instagram and rarely sharing real things about themselves in an actual in-person interactions. Demetrius is an accomplished pool player, and he shares his life, knowledge, sensibility, and home, honestly and not edited. For me, he is a breath of fresh air. If you have been thinking about attending the MN Pool Bootcamp, do it.

kollegedave

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, other pros and advanced players probably use the concepts Demetrius teaches, but it is hard for me to imagine those players expressing their ideas as skillfully as Demetrius. For example, many of you have heard Jeremy Jones say on Accu-Stats, “Here is where you have to trust your talent”, or something to that effect. I believe in those situations, at least many times, Jeremy Jones is talking about something Demetrius teaches.
Anything about "hydraulics"? :oops:

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I can't comment directly on the boot camp. But a while back I pm'ed him with a few questions regarding him opening his private club as I am considering this concept in the future as well and doing research. He responded with an extremely detailed and thoughtful response. I came away very impressed as he went way beyond the simple questions I was asking. He didn't need to - he just did. After his response I really felt I needed to take a hard look at myself to determine whether I have the interpersonal skills and marketing chops to succeed on my own. As an accountant I bring certain things to the table, but honestly after that pm I realize I am lacking those skills currently! And as I still have my day job it would be a while.

He seems like a squared away people person that also has the high end multiple playing and teaching skill sets to attract students as well as members to his club. Not surprised with his relationship with you. i am positive he is and will continue to be very successful and I am sure his boot camp is a premium product.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen first class seats be so close in price to standard ones. I just looked at some flights from S. Carolina, they were around 250-400 with first class being near $1,000, on American.

"he tickets for me at that time were $350 - $375 plus $75 to check a bag. On a whim, I thought what if I fly first class? Those seats were $420, plus a free checked bag, and free booze. Sold."

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen first class seats be so close in price to standard ones. I just looked at some flights from S. Carolina, they were around 250-400 with first class being near $1,000, on American.

"he tickets for me at that time were $350 - $375 plus $75 to check a bag. On a whim, I thought what if I fly first class? Those seats were $420, plus a free checked bag, and free booze. Sold."
I was flying Delta. I am not sure if that matters.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with Demetrius was great as well. One of the things that really impressed me is his passion and commitment, not only to the game itself, but to the success of each of his students. He really has a track record of going above and beyond for the people he trains, and we all appreciate it.

Even before I committed to the bootcamp, Demetrius took the time to chat with me over the phone, via email, and reviewed a match of mine that was streamed to get a better feel for where I was as a player and how he could best help me. How he finds the time, I don’t know. He’s a busy guy.

You can’t go wrong if you decide to head to MN and train with Demetrius. If you’re on the fence, do it. On top of coming out of the bootcamp a better player, Demetrius sets you on a course of continued improvement in the future. Well worth it!

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, pepper, AZers.

Those of you who know me I am rarely at a loss for words. Yet I am having a hard time finding the right way to express my gratitude.

I am beyond lucky to be able to be able to build my livelihood around pool. I'm not a strong enough player to do it through competition, and when I first started training pool I thought it would be a labor of love. My biggest fear was that people would fail to gain anything from our time together or that they'd come away feeling smarter but with no noticeable lift in their performance. In my mind performance was the only thing that mattered and instruction or training that didn't result in a higher Fargo Rate was a total failure. But while I still lean this way, I have come around a little and can appreciate that there is more going on than just pool improvement.

Life is really fast and the time we have to spend is precious. When I look at my pool career the most meaningful times aren't my high water mark tournament finishes or scalps. What stands out to me are those quiet moments that seemed insignificant at the time but in retrospect stand tall. Playing my friend Curtis some $25 races to 3 in one pocket with the jukebox playing Kashmir on a daily special and watching the afternoon melt away. My weekly straight pool game against Pasture Chris when I was a kid. Getting together with my buddy Josh, drilling for a few hours, then playing some scotch doubles 10 ball ghost. To me this is what pool is about, and it's easy to lose track of that when we get so laser focused on our career goals.

Yesterday as I was dropping my last student off at the airport he said something that hit me pretty hard. He told me that these were the best three days of his life.

That sentence echoed through my head all day yesterday. I was blown away. What can you say to something like that? I don't know where to begin.

I guess the only thing I can think to say is that it's mutual. Thanks gang. For everything.

Demetrius

tomatoshooter

He seems like a squared away people person
Arrrrgh! Those people, they always make me look like a douche.

I love Demetrius' podcasts, he always has a different way of looking at things that is helpful. I hope to get my game to the level where I can attend one of his boot camps.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arrrrgh! Those people, they always make me look like a douche.

I love Demetrius' podcasts, he always has a different way of looking at things that is helpful. I hope to get my game to the level where I can attend one of his boot camps.
The sooner you get lessons the sooner you have the tools to improve.

SEB

650 huh? I would love to know what Demi thinks about that. Although, he is too polite to put you on blast.

good write up about the boot camp. Demi seems smart and passionate for the game so it’s nice to hear a third party confirm.

Demi is eccentric without being weird too. Big plus.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
650 huh? I would love to know what Demi thinks about that. Although, he is too polite to put you on blast.

good write up about the boot camp. Demi seems smart and passionate for the game so it’s nice to hear a third party confirm.

Demi is eccentric without being weird too. Big plus.
I don’t know what Demi thinks, but I practice with kollegedave pretty regularly. My FR is in the 650s established and we play real close. Dave just doesn’t play very many rotation tournaments and isn’t established.

Guy Manges

Registered
Dave, pepper, AZers.

Those of you who know me I am rarely at a loss for words. Yet I am having a hard time finding the right way to express my gratitude.

I am beyond lucky to be able to be able to build my livelihood around pool. I'm not a strong enough player to do it through competition, and when I first started training pool I thought it would be a labor of love. My biggest fear was that people would fail to gain anything from our time together or that they'd come away feeling smarter but with no noticeable lift in their performance. In my mind performance was the only thing that mattered and instruction or training that didn't result in a higher Fargo Rate was a total failure. But while I still lean this way, I have come around a little and can appreciate that there is more going on than just pool improvement.

Life is really fast and the time we have to spend is precious. When I look at my pool career the most meaningful times aren't my high water mark tournament finishes or scalps. What stands out to me are those quiet moments that seemed insignificant at the time but in retrospect stand tall. Playing my friend Curtis some $25 races to 3 in one pocket with the jukebox playing Kashmir on a daily special and watching the afternoon melt away. My weekly straight pool game against Pasture Chris when I was a kid. Getting together with my buddy Josh, drilling for a few hours, then playing some scotch doubles 10 ball ghost. To me this is what pool is about, and it's easy to lose track of that when we get so laser focused on our career goals.

Yesterday as I was dropping my last student off at the airport he said something that hit me pretty hard. He told me that these were the best three days of his life.

That sentence echoed through my head all day yesterday. I was blown away. What can you say to something like that? I don't know where to begin.

I guess the only thing I can think to say is that it's mutual. Thanks gang. For everything.

Demetrius
You Mr. Demetrius do what you do... The pool world needs... Guy

BlueRaider

Registered
I got the impression that he was geared towards higher level players, although I'm certain he could help immensely. He's got quite a waiting list, maybe I should sign up.
I was maybe a flat 500 FR when I flew to Minneapolis in July 2020. I think I was a hair under the lower-end of the "ideal" range but I still got a ton out of the boot camp. The biggest takeaway from me (and there were many overall) was simply to take my game more seriously. I wasn't practicing right, focusing on the right things, or approaching the game with the level of study and dedication needed to truly advance. And it's not necessarily a time thing, either. It's a mindset, and it was super eye-opening to not just hear Demi's mindset towards pool, but to see it in action and the results it produced.

And it's funny that he mentioned jamming out to Kashmir while playing his buddy as one of his fondest memories of playing pool. My own fondest memory of the boot camp was towards the end of the last day when we cruised through some racks together playing Scotch doubles against the ghost while jamming out to Zeppelin ourselves. We hit our stride midway through and ran a few (me hitting most shots with careful instruction on speed and spin from Demi, of course), and it was an absolute blast to have someone who was roughly 16x better than me to save us when I botched shape!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
None of this is surprising. Demetrius has the knowledge, the communication skills and the passion that are the key ingredients in being a good teacher. Anyone who wants to reach the next level should consider attending his boot camp.

jstdoit

It's great to hear all of these positive remarks about Demi and the boot camp he runs. I am really looking forward to the time I have scheduled this summer with him. I am hopeful to walk away with a better understanding of the game.