My View of CTE

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I have played many sports and was able to play them pretty well. It always amazed me how many plays I could not remember I made even when somebody showed me a video. In a split second my body would react and the next thing I know the play was over.

I always tried to correlate this to pool, but found it extremely hard because pool is not reactionary like other sports. You never have an opportunity to use those "fast twitch" muscles, unless you decide to smash your cue :).

Anyway about 5 or 6 weeks ago, RandyG showed me CTE. I stated before that I am shooting better but I want it to be more unconscience. My shooting style is pretty fast (if I slow down I start to miss). CTE allows me to glide around the table and in my "unconscience" state, I am swinging my cue directly to my aim point and firing with one prestroke. (Alot like when I used to competition shoot in the military). CTE let's me stay in rhythm and over time my aim will become more refined and more accurrate.

I don't know if the correlation I made above will make sense to you, but this struck me last night and I thought I would share.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Now this just bites, I am finally serious and I hear nothing but *crickets*. I guess this is not a good discussion topic.

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now this just bites, I am finally serious and I hear nothing but *crickets*. I guess this is not a good discussion topic.

Nice to hear you're putting more balls in the hole! I thought RandyG teaches SAM? What is it about CTE that puts you in this "unconciuos" state?

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Nice to hear you're putting more balls in the hole! I thought RandyG teaches SAM? What is it about CTE that puts you in this "unconciuos" state?

CTE doesn't put me in that state, it allows me to get in a rhythm that helps me get there.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

I still teach S.A.M. along with several other aiming systems. When you find one that fits the game becomes fun and exciting.

CTE is a pre-shot routine all by itself.....randyg

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still teach S.A.M. along with several other aiming systems. When you find one that fits the game becomes fun and exciting.

Thanks Randy, I totally agree! I find CTE more than just
a great pre-shot routine! I find it free's up my mind to
concentrate on other aspects of the game, (ie:
spin, speed, position, etc etc)

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
What do you mean Dave?
I started watching the DVD last night for the first time... and I haven't tried anything yet on the table.

I believe that Stan could have done a better job of explaining the system on the DVD by simply adjusting the perspective of the viewer.

For each shot wherein he shows the two lines connecting the CB to the OB, he should be showing those from the perspective of the shooter... instead of in plan view and reversed from what I am suggesting. The perspective of the viewer should be at the elevation of the balls... NOT from a plan (overhead looking down) view.

breakin8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to Hal Houle should be in the Hall of Fame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry just think that. So many of us use Hals system he should get credit. Cte and any other system with pivot is Hals system modified don't forget that.

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started watching the DVD last night for the first time... and I haven't tried anything yet on the table.

I believe that Stan could have done a better job of explaining the system on the DVD by simply adjusting the perspective of the viewer.

For each shot wherein he shows the two lines connecting the CB to the OB, he should be showing those from the perspective of the shooter... instead of in plan view and reversed from what I am suggesting. The perspective of the viewer should be at the elevation of the balls... NOT from a plan (overhead looking down) view.

I think you're right! But I don't see many others that have done that either!! I agree, alot of these videos would be better from the shooters perspective!!

rhyno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best cte post ever.i'm a pretty high speed player but pro one/cte is the only way i can consistantly have a consistant pre shot routine.
when i used to feel aim i used to play faster and faster starting to miss essential thought processes out.
pro one controls my rhythm and psr so i stay focused during matches/practice.its more than just an aiming system:)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Back to Hal Houle should be in the Hall of Fame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry just think that. So many of us use Hals system he should get credit. Cte and any other system with pivot is Hals system modified don't forget that.

YOu are absolutely correct. Hal Houle started CTE and a whole lot of other systems. Hal is an amazing man.

Stan Shuffett refined CTE and it became CTE/Pro One in honor of Hal. CTE as it was taught was missing some components and Stan refined it.

LONG LIVE HAL HOULE! :thumbup:

dudlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played many sports and was able to play them pretty well. It always amazed me how many plays I could not remember I made even when somebody showed me a video. In a split second my body would react and the next thing I know the play was over.

I always tried to correlate this to pool, but found it extremely hard because pool is not reactionary like other sports. You never have an opportunity to use those "fast twitch" muscles, unless you decide to smash your cue :).

Anyway about 5 or 6 weeks ago, RandyG showed me CTE. I stated before that I am shooting better but I want it to be more unconscience. My shooting style is pretty fast (if I slow down I start to miss). CTE allows me to glide around the table and in my "unconscience" state, I am swinging my cue directly to my aim point and firing with one prestroke. (Alot like when I used to competition shoot in the military). CTE let's me stay in rhythm and over time my aim will become more refined and more accurrate.

I don't know if the correlation I made above will make sense to you, but this struck me last night and I thought I would share.

Everybody thinks they have great esoteric info at times about pool, and wonder why they don't get many responses and people saying wow, thats something. Too many posts about bullsh!t short cut systems, why Earl is a this or that. Want to make it to the us open? Practice practice practice. I went through a five year period where I only gambled 2 or 3 times a week and practiced alone only about 12 hrs a week by throwing the balls out and running them off over and over. It was pitiful. Every thing else got weak as could be. Combinations, banks. My break. Safty play was nothing. You will improve at what you relentlessly practice. See you down the road my friend....

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one totally "get" where you are coming from. I excelled at other reactioary sports as well, pool and golf are a little different since you start from a static position, which is both helpful from a mechanical perspective but potentially harmful from a mental perspective.

Started using CTE/Pro One 5 or 6 weeks ago, took a little bit to wade through the info on the DVD and get some questions answered, but once I took to the table I quickly saw the lines and could visualize things and worked on my pivots (both mechanical and Pro One style) and for now at least I can't imagine shooting any other way. Like you it has instilled a confidence into my preshot routine and I just feel so locked in on the shots that I have to go out of my way to miss.

I do agree with the other poster about the presentation of the material on the DVD, like many other pool DVD's filming from the perspective of the shooter would be helpful, as would organizing the material in a slightly different way. However, given that it would never be perfect and please everyone, I think Stan did a nice job with it and took a huge step in publishing what was previously regarded as almost secretive material. And as Stan said, all of the material is there, I just think it requires more study and time at the table than it otherwise could have. Although maybe that was part of his devious plan, since shooting the reference shots and having to figure out when to switch aim points and pivots is what really forced me to "get it"... :)

Scott

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you. Not everyone is willing to give it an honest effort before they throw in the towel. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best,
Mike

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one totally "get" where you are coming from. I excelled at other reactioary sports as well, pool and golf are a little different since you start from a static position, which is both helpful from a mechanical perspective but potentially harmful from a mental perspective.

Started using CTE/Pro One 5 or 6 weeks ago, took a little bit to wade through the info on the DVD and get some questions answered, but once I took to the table I quickly saw the lines and could visualize things and worked on my pivots (both mechanical and Pro One style) and for now at least I can't imagine shooting any other way. Like you it has instilled a confidence into my preshot routine and I just feel so locked in on the shots that I have to go out of my way to miss.

I do agree with the other poster about the presentation of the material on the DVD, like many other pool DVD's filming from the perspective of the shooter would be helpful, as would organizing the material in a slightly different way. However, given that it would never be perfect and please everyone, I think Stan did a nice job with it and took a huge step in publishing what was previously regarded as almost secretive material. And as Stan said, all of the material is there, I just think it requires more study and time at the table than it otherwise could have. Although maybe that was part of his devious plan, since shooting the reference shots and having to figure out when to switch aim points and pivots is what really forced me to "get it"... :)

Scott

If you embrace CTE, then you must have problems with aiming at the ghost ball (GB) method of aiming or double distance aiming that is very accurate when the cue ball (CB) and object ball (OB) are more that 2 feet apart?