Name of This Colorado Custom Cue Maker?

ScotchSpeed

Registered
About 5 years ago I borrowed a stick for 1 shot and shattered it. I hadn't realized it was a sneaky pete. I'm trying to find the cue makers name. At the time I had asked and looked him up so I have a small amount of information about him that I believe to be accurate.

I know he lived in Colorado. At the time he was either retired or possibly even passed away. I believe he lived north of Denver, possibly in Westminster or Longmont. I believe he made a lot of cues and then either he or a family member had health issues and he slowed way down. For how brittle the cue was I would guess he was making most of them in the 70's or 80's. Please let me know any guesses you have and I can look into it.

Thanks!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 5 years ago I borrowed a stick for 1 shot and shattered it. I hadn't realized it was a sneaky pete. I'm trying to find the cue makers name. At the time I had asked and looked him up so I have a small amount of information about him that I believe to be accurate.

I know he lived in Colorado. At the time he was either retired or possibly even passed away. I believe he lived north of Denver, possibly in Westminster or Longmont. I believe he made a lot of cues and then either he or a family member had health issues and he slowed way down. For how brittle the cue was I would guess he was making most of them in the 70's or 80's. Please let me know any guesses you have and I can look into it.

Thanks!
Showcase maybe?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
What shattered? Tip/ferrule, shaft, joint, butt @ A-bolt? Stick shattered is vague. I've hit with many "sticks" over 40 years old & never heard of the "stick" itself being brittle. I have heard of ivory ferrules/joints being brittle though!

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you could post some pics of the cue, it would probably help the azb community in figuring out who the maker may be. I`m sure there are guys on here from Colorado that could possible nail it down to which maker with a few pics. Uncle Ted ''cuesblues'' knows most of them if not all of them out there.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two that immediately pop into my mind are Ernie Martinez (formerly showcase) or Byrne. If I'm not mistaken AE is out there as well, but don't think you would find much sneaky coming from them.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The one cuemaker that I know slowed and stopped due to health reason was Gale Clark.
I believe he lived in one of the suburbs on the North side of town - Arvada, Broomfield, Thornton, Westminster ....
He did make quite a few sneakies. His logo was a single diamond.
The other one I haven't heard anything about in a long time is Roland Becker, he may still be making cues, or not.
I have no idea. I believe his logo was a chess piece with a 'B' inside, or something like that.
Ernie is still making cues and I think Byrne is as well.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Showcase maybe?

This is what came to mind for me. Clay Ethridge owned Showcase Billiards off 120th st in Westminster. He closed up shop several years ago. Ernie Martinez got his start there and is still kicking in N. Denver area, you can look him up. There were others as well, but Ernie became the most famous and best of them all.

Good luck,
Dave

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

David Kikel comes to mind think he's from Colorado Springs or Pueblo also I think Judd
Fuller was from Colorado as well.
Judd was a great cue marker who has left us RIP.
David K. I think is retired.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What shattered? Tip/ferrule, shaft, joint, butt @ A-bolt? Stick shattered is vague. I've hit with many "sticks" over 40 years old & never heard of the "stick" itself being brittle. I have heard of ivory ferrules/joints being brittle though!

I was wondering the same thing.

For how brittle the cue was I would guess he was making most of them in the 70's or 80's.

I have numerous cues a lot older than that and there is nothing brittle about them.

I am very curious about this cue "shattering".

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Randy Ethridge also lives North, Clay Ethridge's brother.
Randy did some work for me this week, taking and old Ernie Martinez/Showcase hustler, adding black collars, black phenolic butt cap, and a Hoppe Ring.
Great cue, looks really cool now.
I call it a Randy Showtinez.

The cuemaker/repair shop in question was probably Showcase.
Depending on the year, there was Clay Etheridge, Randy Etheridge, Ernie Martinez, Gale Clark, Willie Balatucas, Bruce Ryan, Mike (Etheridge?) Kenny Martin, many others

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one cuemaker that I know slowed and stopped due to health reason was Gale Clark.
I believe he lived in one of the suburbs on the North side of town - Arvada, Broomfield, Thornton, Westminster ....
The other one I haven't heard anything about in a long time is Roland Becker, he may still be making cues, or not.
I have no idea. I believe his logo was a chess piece with a 'B' inside, or something like that.

Roland is alive and well and still making cues and pocketing balls. He does all the cue work and table work at the senior center I play at. Real nice guy.

ScotchSpeed

Registered

Gale Clark is what I was looking for, thanks! Sorry about not being able to post pictures guys. It was 5 years ago and not my cue. It was the shaft that broke into about 15 pieces. Thanks again!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Judd Fuller was in Yellowjacket, Colorado. And he only moved back there in the late 90's. He did not make cues there before he moved to California.

RIP Judd.

Inimitable 1

Registered
Gale Clark is what I was looking for, thanks! Sorry about not being able to post pictures guys. It was 5 years ago and not my cue. It was the shaft that broke into about 15 pieces. Thanks again!
I have a cue with diamond logo