Need legal advice, any Lawyers here?

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
I have a few questions about preparing a Will, any lawyers here?:)
You don't need a lawyer. Just leave everything to Brady - I will PM you all my other necessary information. :D:D:D:D. I could get my AT-1 back cheap this way :D:D:D:D

BVal

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
Legal matters can vary from state to state..it's best to get references for a good HONEST local lawyer...be careful who you confide in when it comes to estate planning ect.i have known a few that are now disbarred because of stealing from clients...Happy New Year

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
Testacy is an area of law that should not be dabbled in. As noted, you should hire a competent probate attorney in your state. The rules for creating a valid will are (usually) quite rigid and wills have ramifications in many other fields (e.g., family law, tax law, etc.). Also, if you "mess up" creating a will, you should be aware of your state's intestacy provisions. All these things are not to be taken lightly. You really need someone that will recognize any legal landmines that lay folks will not see.

However, if your questions is general in nature, and not related to legal advice (like, should I get one, where do I find one) etc, PM me.

-td

Last edited:

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
td873 said:
Testacy is an area of law that should not be dabbled in. As noted, you should hire a competent probate attorney in your state. The rules for creating a valid will are (usually) quite rigid and wills have ramifications in many other fields (e.g., family law, tax law, etc.). Also, if you "mess up" creating a will, you should be aware of your state's intestacy provisions. All these things are not to be taken lightly. You really need someone that will recognize any legal landmines that lay folks will not see.

However, if your questions is general in nature, and not reltaed to legal advice (like, should I get one, where do I find one) etc, PM me.

-td

Becareful with this guy, where I come from all the above sounds like high falutin laaawwwwyyeerr talk:D :D :D

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:

Laws verie from state to State, contact AARP for information in your, about your local area.
seesaw.gif

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuejoey said:
Legal matters can vary from state to state..it's best to get references for a good HONEST local lawyer...be careful who you confide in when it comes to estate planning ect.i have known a few that are now disbarred because of stealing from clients...Happy New Year
I think what you are advising him to do is what we call a dichtomey!

my advise to you Captain would be go ahead and give the lawyer everything you have of any value and get on back in the poolroom where at least you know everybody in the place is trying to get your money

Good luck either way!

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
td873 said:

However, if your questions is general in nature, and not related to legal advice (like, should I get one, where do I find one) etc, PM me.

-td

Ah yes. Just another useless job for lawyers. Too bad a signature isn't worth what it used to be.

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
td873 said:

-td

heh heh, you said "testacy"

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you are seeking general information, you can usually find a self help department within your county courthouse that will provide you a packet of information to help you along - if your area is more techno inclined, check their website for the same info.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Go for local knowledge...meaning ask locals who they have used. I would suggest contacting an attorney who specializes in contract law. One who never goes to court because he writes wills and contracts in a manner that means there is no need for court.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
You can usually find a standard will, recognized by your State Bar on line, with fairly complete instructions providing your estate and wishes are not too complicated, or in conflict with prevailing laws. It's not too difficult to navigate.

Jim

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
I have (or hope I have) all my affairs already taken care of. all of my property, except my home, is already transferred to my daughter. what she does with it is of no concern to me if and when I'm gone.

in Mississippi and I'm sure other states, a person can give his home to (in my case my daughter) someone before he dies, but retain "a life estate" in the home. essentially you keep the home and can sell it if you want to. but, it is fully transferred to that person upon your death. (and legally belongs to my daughter, not the nursing home if I have to go that route)

this bypasses inheritance/death taxes and you're sure that the house goes to whomever, not the lawyer, not wife #1 or #2, but who you intended it to go to. laws vary state to state, plus they also have to follow Federal tax guidelines.

...just random thoughts.................j

av84fun

Banned
Thecoats said:
Becareful with this guy, where I come from all the above sounds like high falutin laaawwwwyyeerr talk:D :D :D

Not to me. He sounds like someone who knows what he is talking about.

Regards,
Jim

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Egads

You can buy software that will prepare a will for you for $20-30, as long as it is not too involved, just like tax preparation software, and it takes into account state laws for each state.

A simple will, will only cost you only about $100-200 from a reasonable lawyer.

If it is very involved, land, property, investments, then by all means, have a lawyer do it for you.

ericyow

WPA Masse World Champion
Silver Member
You never even asked a question and you got all that?

-yow! Esquire. ;)

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
http://www.legalzoom.com/

This may be worth a look.Legal help,state by state I believe...document oriented site set up and run by lawyers.According to the ads I've heard the pricing is a fraction of actual lawyer fees.

Hope it helps.