negotiability of table prices

Fliedout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local (DC area) dealer is quoting me $5600 for an 8 ft Olhausen Champion Pro, which seems high to me. Never having bought a table (the one I have is a junker I got using American Express points), I don't have a sense for how negotiable table prices are. Any guidance would be appreciated.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Fliedout said:
A local (DC area) dealer is quoting me $5600 for an 8 ft Olhausen Champion Pro, which seems high to me. Never having bought a table (the one I have is a junker I got using American Express points), I don't have a sense for how negotiable table prices are. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Buying a new pool table is not like buying a new car. There are no manufacture discounts, no trade-ins, no buyer incentive rewards. In the billiards industry, you pretty much get what you pay for, you want better, you pay more, that's it. But, like the car industry, the market is full of used tables, which have already been depreciated, so if you want to save some money, start looking there.

Glen

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you are in a large metro area, there is going to be more than one Olhausen dealer near you.

Call one in Frederick and Baltimore and see if they can give you a better price.

scruffy1

Silver Member
The dealer you got a quote from wasnt champion billiards was it?
Certain dealers in the area have a huge markup. being a ex olhausen dealer that price is definetly high!

Fliedout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scruffy1 said:
The dealer you got a quote from wasnt champion billiards was it?
Certain dealers in the area have a huge markup. being a ex olhausen dealer that price is definetly high!

It sure was. Thanks.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I did a quick google search and came up w/several Olhausen Champion Pro links. Ebay has several Olhausen's. Maybe one in your area? Search around. Your best bet by far is a nice used table and you'll find one if you can wait a little while for it to come to you.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
i would choose for a used table too.
the prices drop alot. You could save up to 50% for a 1y old table.
Just need to have some patience.

for example: i bought a used diamond pro for 1600? (with all the acceseries), restained it, refinished it, put on new simonis and cussions, got it all installed by a pro. in total i have for the extra's and installation for about 500? in it.

so brand new looking table perfectly installed for 2.1k ?. New price would be around 6k+ (with the special stain etc, easily 8K+) = total saving of 6k.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Fliedout said:

I notice a few Olhausen's on DC's craigslist.com. Check it out to see if any are still available:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=pool table

Robin

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Fliedout said:
Thanks. Any idea what I should expect to pay to have a mechanic disassemble, move and reassemble a table?

No idea in your market there. However, there are a couple of companies in the same listings that are offering their services so, you may check into one of them for rates. It will still be considerably lower than a new table right?!?!?!

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
something in between 350$ and 500$ i'd say.

i payed 60$ for a truck i rented and 5$ in beers for a friend who helped moving it. :p and then 150$ to the pro to level the table and install the new cloth. saved me another 250$.

(ps i never saw a dismanteled table before, but with some logic it really is a piece of a cake.) let the pro do the leveling and clothing, and do all the rest yourself. you'll enjoy working on the table, learn new things, you'll get a special relationship if you did all the work yourself, AND it saves u 250$. :D

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Kind of what I said in the first place, a new table of quality, has the same quality of a used table, except at about half of the price of a new table. In most cases, none of the quality tables have ever been beat on, in fact most look just as new as they did when they were first installed. It's just that sometimes people, after they bought that new table, find out that there's other things they want that area for, instead of a pool table, so...they sell it. They look at it in the way that if they get half of what they paid for it, they're comming out ahead, because they also got to enjoy it while they had it, so it's worth it to them to sell it. Babies sometimes make nice new pool tables dissapear!!!!...LOL

Glen

PS. So do wives sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Kind of what I said in the first place, a new table of quality, has the same quality of a used table, except at about half of the price of a new table. In most cases, none of the quality tables have ever been beat on, in fact most look just as new as they did when they were first installed. It's just that sometimes people, after they bought that new table, find out that there's other things they want that area for, instead of a pool table, so...they sell it. They look at it in the way that if they get half of what they paid for it, they're comming out ahead, because they also got to enjoy it while they had it, so it's worth it to them to sell it. Babies sometimes make nice new pool tables dissapear!!!!...LOLGlen

Have you been peeking at my other posts....? lol

How's the trip?

Shane

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I am not mistaking you can get a Diamond Pro 9ft table for about 5K. I have had the chance to play on both and the Diamond in my opinion is by far the better table. Just to let you know I am not a table dealer for Diamond. I am a table mechanic tho. My main job is building custom cues.
http://www.patrickcustomcues.com

Fliedout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
patrickcues said:
If I am not mistaking you can get a Diamond Pro 9ft table for about 5K. I have had the chance to play on both and the Diamond in my opinion is by far the better table. Just to let you know I am not a table dealer for Diamond. I am a table mechanic tho. My main job is building custom cues.
http://www.patrickcustomcues.com

Thanks. Diamond doesn't appear to have dealers, so I assume they would ship it to me and I would have to hire a mechanic to set it up, right? Not enough room for a 9-footer, BTW (unfortunately).

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Kind of what I said in the first place, a new table of quality, has the same quality of a used table, except at about half of the price of a new table. In most cases, none of the quality tables have ever been beat on, in fact most look just as new as they did when they were first installed. It's just that sometimes people, after they bought that new table, find out that there's other things they want that area for, instead of a pool table, so...they sell it. They look at it in the way that if they get half of what they paid for it, they're comming out ahead, because they also got to enjoy it while they had it, so it's worth it to them to sell it. Babies sometimes make nice new pool tables dissapear!!!!...LOL

Glen

I asked my girlfriend if I should get a second pool table in the living room, and she thought it was a great idea.

jacklenenberg

Registered
Fliedout said:

It's very negotiable with Olhausen dealers. I was shopping for a table in Atlanta. Asked for a quote from the dealer here (Games & Things) They quoted me $6400 for a Waterfall and $4900 for a Sahara (at their "super sale" no less!. When I was in Pittsburgh visiting family, the dealer there(West Penn) offered the same package on the Waterfall for $4900, and offered the Sahara for $3800. The Atlanta dealer told me an upgrade to cherry was $1000. the pittsburgh dealer told me $400. It was night and day. all i can say is thank god I am from Pittsburgh. West Penn was terrific. Games & Things in Atlanta was worse than buying a car. Much worse. And the whole time Games & Things acted like they were doing me a righteous deal when they were playing t-ball with my head.

I will also tell you this, I have heard that the Washington DC Olhausen dealer has a reputation for trying to make high gross profit on its deals. Supposedly, the DC dealer is proud of this fact. This is hearsay, of course, but it was something I have heard.