New Cue

JPG89

Registered
Need a little guidance from the gurus. This is actually my first post but a lot of the time I do find myself referring to the site for just information in general. I'm relatively new to the game I've been around it for 2 years or so. I can honestly say that I'm hooked. I practice every chance I get. I play in a few different local leagues. I've realized by now that it takes a lot of patience, determination and a lot of racking before you spend time breaking. I'm going to be in the market for a new cue with in the next few weeks. I'm not into really anything flashy or inlays considering that my current cue is a Pred 4k1 which is plain black. I've been checking out the different SP style cues. I guess my question would be am I better off going with a quality production cue IE Schon BW series or looking for a custom cue within that price range. I'm not going to lie I truly do like the Schons, but I would like to go with something that is a Radial or a wood to wood joint. I've looked in Dominiak Cues and read a few reviews and checked up on a few others. I've used the search feature in the forums and did some of reading before posting. I'm just hoping someone can give me some direction here.

Jeff G. Martin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum.

Your question of looking for a production cue or custom cue is completely up to you, of course. If you like Shon's, buy a Schon. I've never hit with one, but most of the posts I've read here are always praising their hit. There are also PLENTY of great deals here on custom cues. It's a buyer's market right now. Post something in the Wanted/FS section and you will have lost of offers! Good luck.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need a little guidance from the gurus. This is actually my first post but a lot of the time I do find myself referring to the site for just information in general. I'm relatively new to the game I've been around it for 2 years or so. I can honestly say that I'm hooked. I practice every chance I get. I play in a few different local leagues. I've realized by now that it takes a lot of patience, determination and a lot of racking before you spend time breaking. I'm going to be in the market for a new cue with in the next few weeks. I'm not into really anything flashy or inlays considering that my current cue is a Pred 4k1 which is plain black. I've been checking out the different SP style cues. I guess my question would be am I better off going with a quality production cue IE Schon BW series or looking for a custom cue within that price range. I'm not going to lie I truly do like the Schons, but I would like to go with something that is a Radial or a wood to wood joint. I've looked in Dominiak Cues and read a few reviews and checked up on a few others. I've used the search feature in the forums and did some of reading before posting. I'm just hoping someone can give me some direction here.

I"m going to give you the best advice anyone can give you. keep the cue you've got and only play with that. you want to buy something new buy a break cue or a case. don't change your playing cue!!!!!!!!!!!!

i honestly believe i'd be a ball better right now if i'd stuck with the same cue i started with

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whats wrong with your current set up? Your Predator 4k1 should get the job done. Seems your hooked on the game. Stay hooked on the game not the tools of the game (cues, custom or production, cases, chalk, gloves, ld shafts)

Practice, practice, practice... take lessons from a legit instructor, gamble cheap sets> Your game will sky rocket.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Well, there are scores of threads on this subject here to research, but we can't resist throwing our opinions at this subject! If you're jones'ing for a SP, I'd recommend a custom; they will put much nicer wood/finish than the average production line cues. Most production companies that put out a SP don't waste their choice materials on SP cues...custom makers put as much attention into their SPs as their higher end cues. You can also choose from a variety of exotic woods that really pop under the table's lighting and won't break your bank. There are tons for sale here all the time, most with little to no wear.

Schon is my absolute favorite production cue, but even their plain janes start out a little pricey. That said, with minimal care they last absolutely forever and their hit is legendary. The standard 5/16 x 14 SS joint is different than your preferred wood-wood flat faced joint with a bigger pin, but you'd be surprised how little, really. We gripe about it all the time, but that's because a few decades of having a preference makes us a little picky and opinionated. I jumped from the McDermott joints to the 5/16 x 14 SS and hardly noticed the difference at the time (since the Josses and Schon I have hit pretty firm, anyway). I can still appreciate a McDermott's hit, too. After 20 years of being so anal about my cues all having the 5/16 x 14 piloted SS joint, I picked up my brother's 20 year old McDermott D6 over Christmas and remembered why I loved them so much at the time. D models come up for sale quite often; as long as it's straight and hasn't been abused, you'll find a real hitter there. New model McDermotts aren't bad, either. If you go production, do yourself a favor and bug someone to try their's out to see what you think...most guys will let you hit a few if you're nice about it. I've never turned anyone down.

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was in your situation 3 years ago (i've been playing for 5) I had a predator SP with a z-2 shaft and I played pretty good with it (had it for 1 year). I noticed however if I didn't keep playing with it everyday that my speed control was way off and I ended up shooting better with a house cue lol.

Since then I must of bought and sold 20+ cues trying to find a cue that fit me. Eventually I did find one but it was complete luck that I found it. I agree with poolplayer2093 that since you already have a decent cue you should just keep playing with it. Fully adapting to one cue is way better than experimenting. If you need a slight change then change your tip lol it's less costly and since tips harden over time maybe that's why you're thinking about a new cue (I assumed you like soft tips since you're currently using a morri slow).

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that if you want a sneaky try a Josie. I have an upscale Bocote with inlays and a Hoppe ring. Plays fantastic. Solid, lower deflection and a plain joy to shoot. Mine has 2 shafts. One standard Josie shaft with an Everest and a Timeless Timber shaft with an Everest also.

Both are fantastic shafts. The Timeless is a little stiff but not bad. Shoves balls around on those crappy Valley's with super slow cloth very well.

If a new sneaky is you're heart's desire then by all means get one. Nothing beats the feel of a brand new cue in you're hands for the first time. I suggest a Josie. A Frey or a Sly would work also. Go for it you won't regret it.

Mark Shuman

alfaya83

Registered
I'd like to try the dominiak.
has not said why you want to change. if the cue nothing happens and it is a matter of feeling, I would not change, replace the tip, I do not like the current moori. with a black kamui would go much better. is my opinion.

cue does not make you better player, the training if

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you've been playing with a predator for a while, you may find it difficult to play with anything else. I've been told this by others who have gone back to playing with standard shafts after playing with ld for some time.

daylate$short

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True!

If you've been playing with a predator for a while, you may find it difficult to play with anything else. I've been told this by others who have gone back to playing with standard shafts after playing with ld for some time.

This is something you have to be concerned with. I don't know if you had a cue before the Predator, but a "standard" shaft from most of the production cue manufacturers will play differently than the low deflection Predator shafts. There are other low deflection shaft manufacturers which you may want to try also. But my experience has shown me that I have to "aim" differently depending on shaft type (less compensation needed when applying english with a LD shaft). That is why it's nice to play a little bit with any cue you may want to purchase. Sometimes you can't do that, but some dealers may let you. Like other replies mention, you might be able to play a little with a friends cue you like.

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum!

Charlie

JPG89

Registered
First off I want to thank everyone for their replies and opinions. In thinking about it and talking it over with a few friends of mine I'm going to just stick with my Predator for now. Cause honestly there is really nothing wrong with it and considering that is truly has helped me to improve my game over the Lucasi that I used to play with. Not saying the cue makes the player but I really have improved in strides since I've started playing with it. As I said I've only been playing for about 2 years and from where I started to where I am now is like night and day. I practice every chance I get and I don't know where my head was at is thinking it's time for a new cue. Again thanks for the input.