New J Flowers CF shafts

terpdad

Registered
I see J Flowers is going to be offering 2 new carbon fiber shafts (the Crown & S.M.O.) which they claim are improvements over their standard model. Other than different tips & ring work, their website offers little explanation. Does anyone have any insight or experience w/ these?

Thank you.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see J Flowers is going to be offering 2 new carbon fiber shafts (the Crown & S.M.O.) which they claim are improvements over their standard model. Other than different tips & ring work, their website offers little explanation. Does anyone have any insight or experience w/ these?

Thank you.
afaik they aren't even on the market yet. give them some time. i seriously doubt they will be anything groundbreaking. just another black tube in a sea of black tubes.

terpdad

Registered
I'm inclined to agree but am curious why a value-oriented company would charge the same for one of their shafts as the well-established Cynergy, if the mid-range option (Crown) is comparable to what most companies are charging $400 for etc.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at Rhino. 199.( https://rhino-billiards.com/collections/rhino-carbon-pool-cue-single-shaft). A buddy just got one and loves it. Look, most of these outfits just buy tubes and assemble shafts. Not much difference in any of them. I've test hit quite a few and to me they all play well. There's also a guy in Saigon on FB that sells his for 190 or two for 340. He gets good reviews on his stuff. https://www.facebook.com/AffordableCarbonShaft/
I'm inclined to agree but am curious why a value-oriented company would charge the same for one of their shafts as the well-established Cynergy, if the mid-range option (Crown) is comparable to what most companies are charging $400 for etc.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF is here to stay so everyone better get used to it till the next innovation comes along.

I recently played in a pool league and most of the shafts the league players had were CF. There were players that have zero clue how to play pool and they had CF shafts.

Yes it is ludicrous for those folks to expect to become better just by buying a certain shaft. We all know they would be way better off taking lessons and performing drills but they ran out and bought a CF shaft.

Go figure, this is the generation that expects to get better by buying a new shiny object. Do not blame them though, because they have been wired this way by media and advertising.

Myself I bought into it halfway with my Mezz ex pro shaft. Bear in mind Ihad a solid game from years of lessons and practice which is how and why I was able to beat them in the first place.

It is what it is.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF is here to stay so everyone better get used to it till the next innovation comes along.

I recently played in a pool league and most of the shafts the league players had were CF. There were players that have zero clue how to play pool and they had CF shafts.

Yes it is ludicrous for those folks to expect to become better just by buying a certain shaft. We all know they would be way better off taking lessons and performing drills but they ran out and bought a CF shaft.

Go figure, this is the generation that expects to get better by buying a new shiny object. Do not blame them though, because they have been wired this way by media and advertising.

Myself I bought into it halfway with my Mezz ex pro shaft. Bear in mind Ihad a solid game from years of lessons and practice which is how and why I was able to beat them in the first place.

It is what it is.
Agree 100%. Best thing about cf is the slick finish and the durability. They don't play much different than quality lumber.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there was a thread on their robot testing with the S.M.O. shaft. the test is on youtube. some conclusions were that the testing wasn't impartial and that the cue ball "tee" needed to be attached to the cueing fixture.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is what it is.
When new players ask me what type of cue they should buy I always try and steer them towards a carbon fiber shaft. Not because it will make them a better player, but for things like ease of maintenance, no warping, easy to clean, doesn't dent. I also don't see the point of learning how to shoot with a wood shaft then re learning again if you want to switch to carbon in the future. Yes there is a learning curve when switching from wood to carbon.

As for myself, the carbon shaft made me a better player after I switched. Because of the energy transfer with carbon I am able to shoot softer and still move the cueball around which ends up with me pocketing more balls than if I hit it harder with a wooden shaft. For most people who are not pro players and can put in hours of practice time a week, shooting softer will help you pocket more balls.

Cost was really the only thing that newer players would stuggle with, but with the Jflowers, Konallen cues that really became less of an issue. They might not be the greatest cues in the world, but for a beginner they are perfect. If the beginner doesn't stick with it, a carbon cue almost always has a higher resale value if they want to get rid of it or trade up to a nicer cue.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When new players ask me what type of cue they should buy I always try and steer them towards a carbon fiber shaft. Not because it will make them a better player, but for things like ease of maintenance, no warping, easy to clean, doesn't dent. I also don't see the point of learning how to shoot with a wood shaft then re learning again if you want to switch to carbon in the future. Yes there is a learning curve when switching from wood to carbon.

As for myself, the carbon shaft made me a better player after I switched. Because of the energy transfer with carbon I am able to shoot softer and still move the cueball around which ends up with me pocketing more balls than if I hit it harder with a wooden shaft. For most people who are not pro players and can put in hours of practice time a week, shooting softer will help you pocket more balls.

Cost was really the only thing that newer players would stuggle with, but with the Jflowers, Konallen cues that really became less of an issue. They might not be the greatest cues in the world, but for a beginner they are perfect. If the beginner doesn't stick with it, a carbon cue almost always has a higher resale value if they want to get rid of it or trade up to a nicer cue.
Well said. I agree with a lot of the points you made.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a guess here but the originals may have been flag-wrapped tubes and the newer ones are filament-wound. Here's the vid mentioned above:
Solid maple was almost a full inch more deflection. That's about what i see when i compare my Jensen to a good lo-defl. shaft. that new JF looks pretty impressive.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
because people will buy them at whatever price, and they know it

QShark

I.T. Infrastructure Engineer
Gold Member
Just a guess here but the originals may have been flag-wrapped tubes and the newer ones are filament-wound. Here's the vid mentioned above:
Solid maple was almost a full inch more deflection. That's about what i see when i compare my Jensen to a good lo-defl. shaft. that new JF looks pretty impressive.
"Leaked" yet posted on JF's website. They do have good marketing.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always interesting to me the responses that people make about high vs low pricing. Some say the lower price product is the same as, as good as the higher priced version. And get mad that the manufacturer of the expensive product won't reduce their prices! Lol. As a retired business owner, I would never reduce the price of the product that sold the most, had the highest profit margins, and the highest resale values. If the product is too expensive, not better quality, and has no resale value, the public will simply stop buying it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always interesting to me the responses that people make about high vs low pricing. Some say the lower price product is the same as, as good as the higher priced version. And get mad that the manufacturer of the expensive product won't reduce their prices! Lol. As a retired business owner, I would never reduce the price of the product that sold the most, had the highest profit margins, and the highest resale values. If the product is too expensive, not better quality, and has no resale value, the public will simply stop buying it.
Yep. The world has a seemingly endless supply of suckers. I tried to tell a guy one time that the reason Predator charges so much had a lot(mostly?) to do with their ad campaigns, middlemen upcharges, paying staff players,etc. They take a shaft that should sell for no more than 200bux MAX and jack it to over 400. Golf clubs are the exact same thing, you're paying for all those tv/print/web ads, staff players, middlemen, yada-yada-yada.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know these are all the rage now, but I would take that jensen anyday. That guy makes, one hell of a shaft. Brilliant cuemaker. I know zero deflection, is what everyone wants. But you still have to, know how to, pot the balls.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. The world has a seemingly endless supply of suckers. I tried to tell a guy one time that the reason Predator charges so much had a lot(mostly?) to do with their ad campaigns, middlemen upcharges, paying staff players,etc. They take a shaft that should sell for no more than 200bux MAX and jack it to over 400. Golf clubs are the exact same thing, you're paying for all those tv/print/web ads, staff players, middlemen, yada-yada-yada.
Yeah, it is a tough call.

Personal finances spending vs. support of the sport.

As you've noted: legitimate sports arent really about the prizes the top finishers are provided.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know these are all the rage now, but I would take that jensen anyday. That guy makes, one hell of a shaft. Brilliant cuemaker. I know zero deflection, is what everyone wants. But you still have to, know how to, pot the balls.
No such thing as zero deflect. Physically impossible. I've tested about 8-10 cf shafts and deflect. has ranged from tiny to just barely less than solid maple. The shafts on my Jensen are pretty hi-deflect. Those ivory ferrules add a lot of mass to the tip-end. Great cue but my Mezz plays a lot better, to me anyway. Its got a solid wood shaft(HybridPro-1st. version) with a 20" cf rod in the middle and a front end kinda like a 314 Pred. Best shaft i've ever had to be honest.

Last edited: