New York Larry Gendler Has Passed - RIP

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
NY Larry Gendler was a hero to me. For very good reasons I nominated him to the New England Hall of Fame. He was most deserving of the honor. He helped veterans, seniors and even kids by introducing them to and helping them with pool.

He grew up in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, as a teenager he worked in the neighborhood pool room where the owner would let him play but he couldn't turn on the gas lights over the tables while he learned the game. Larry was a WW2 Navy Vet, a boxer, a pro photographer and a BCA pool instructor.

Larry passed this afternoon, he was 96. His mind was so sharp and so quick witted I have to provide an example. Larry's lovely wife, NY Lila, passed away in 2016 and Larry eventually began a relationship with a nice younger lady, I think mid 80's and I won't give her name for privacy. Larry was still driving then and he took her to a doctor appointment and went in with her. The exam required that she remove her blouse and bra so there she is with her bare boobs out. The doctor assumed that Larry was her husband and asked him a question about how long has he noticed this rash and without missing a beat he responded, I'm not her husband, I'm the taxi driver. He said the look that came over the doctor's face was priceless, kind of a look of horror & possible liability.

Larry was smart, funny, kind, considerate and a mensch of the highest order.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Rest in peace my dear friend.

Here are a couple of news videos of his 2016 NE HOF induction:

1699233220648.png

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They don't make'em like that anymore. My condolences on the loss of your friend.
R.I.P. Sir.
🙏

RogerO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian: I've seen Larry at Shooter's but never got to know him. However, your stories have given me a good picture of a man whose long life was well-lived. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NY Larry Gendler was a hero to me. For very good reasons I nominated him to the New England Hall of Fame. He was most deserving of the honor. He helped veterans, seniors and even kids by introducing them to and helping them with pool.

He grew up in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, as a teenager he worked in the neighborhood pool room where the owner would let him play but he couldn't turn on the gas lights over the tables while he learned the game. Larry was a WW2 Navy Vet, a boxer, a pro photographer and a BCA pool instructor.

Larry passed this afternoon, he was 96. His mind was so sharp and so quick witted I have to provide an example. Larry's lovely wife, NY Lila, passed away in 2016 and Larry eventually began a relationship with a nice younger lady, I think mid 80's and I won't give her name for privacy. Larry was still driving then and he took her to a doctor appointment and went in with her. The exam required that she remove her blouse and bra so there she is with her bare boobs out. The doctor assumed that Larry was her husband and asked him a question about how long has he noticed this rash and without missing a beat he responded, I'm not her husband, I'm the taxi driver. He said the look that came over the doctor's face was priceless, kind of a look of horror & possible liability.

Larry was smart, funny, kind, considerate and a mensch of the highest order.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

Rest in peace my dear friend.

Here are a couple of news videos of his 2016 NE HOF induction:

View attachment 726378
Condolences to you and the family and friends of Mr. Gendler. May he rest in peace.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Condolences to his Family & Friends. I have done a few deals with Larry here on azb.
Straight up great guy Sorry to hear about your friend Brian. RIP Larry
Jeff

ATM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great sorry Brian. He will be missed. Although I haven’t played in awhile I spent a few Sunday afternoons racking for him, lol. RIP Larry