Nick Ricciotti Gone

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were a road player and you passed through Dover, NJ back in the 60's, you inevitably got matched up against my Uncle Nicky, the undisputed best in town. He continued to play in area pool rooms throughout the years. In fact, when I traveled north for the 4th of July, I caught him in Rockaway Billiards. He passed away earlier this week.

I wrote a little about him on my blog: http://aceswebworld.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-was-great-seeing-you-uncle-nicky.html

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
acedotcom said:
If you were a road player and you passed through Dover, NJ back in the 60's, you inevitably got matched up against my Uncle Nicky, the undisputed best in town. He continued to play in area pool rooms throughout the years. In fact, when I traveled north for the 4th of July, I caught him in Rockaway Billiards. He passed away earlier this week.

I wrote a little about him on my blog: http://aceswebworld.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-was-great-seeing-you-uncle-nicky.html

Sorry for your loss.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
acedotcom said:

I think I played Nick during my one trip to Hi-Cue, some 40 years ago. I played him in a weekly tourney held on a Sunday I believe. Many good players were there, including Miz, a teenage Hopkins and Margo. He won and I told him I wanted a rematch after the tournament. Unfortunately that day never came.

BOB_S

Sorry for your loss. I first met your uncle about 3 years ago when I started re-visiting local pool halls in the Dover area, where I live. I saw him many, many times in local halls such as Cue Time in Succasunna (until it closed), Rockaway Billiards and just a month or so ago at a new place in Randolph called 'Rack and Roll'.

Nick was as you described in your blog. Whenever I saw him, he seemed to be playing one of the top players in the area, including guys with names like Spoon, Twiz, Cheese, Benny and many others. Most of the time he seemed to be winning. I played him some 9-ball early on (just for table time) when I first met him, but stopped after I realized I was only contributing to his table time payments, never the other way around (i.e. I NEVER won a race to anything against him).

When he wasn't beating up on the younger guys, he would go through his trick shot routine, and could make some very difficult masse shots.

In addition to being a very strong player (and remember, I only saw him in his 80's), he was a showman and an ardent Yankee fan.

Again, sorry for your loss. I suspect there will be quite a few players in the area who will miss Nick as well.