Nickel or dime

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
There are a lot of opinions on this, but here's mine...a nickel bevel is the most optimum for the average sized cueball's curvature, to include the big tavern ball. Dime bevel is okay, but really overkill. Some prefer the dime to the nickel because as your nickel bevel flattens out (usually with soft or super soft tips), you quickly see a difference; a dime flattening out won't see a big difference until it REALLY flattens/mushrooms. I've tried both, and I can do a lot more with a nickel than I could with a dime--with more control and fewer miscues (not sure how that works--probably because a dime bevel gets you pushing your english outside what the cue ball's curvature will tolerate?). I also prefer medium to medium-hard tips, so my nickel bevel never really flattens out for me (medium Triangle).

As an aside, most snooker players use a flat tip, with mushroom'd edges for english. They need a flat, precise, predictable, repeatable hit; any english has to be precisely planned and executed, or they miss. A well rounded tip would put spin on the cueball in all cases except a dead center hit (which is almost impossible to do, there's always a micron left/right/up/down when the tip hits the ball).

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Answering these questions properly will be like tip-toeing through a mine field. At night. With clown shoes on. So here goes.

Shaft sizes for poolcues come in many different sizes, cesar. Depending upon individual preference, they generally fall within the range of 13mm to 11.5 mm, although larger and smaller diameters have been observed. Snooker players, for instance, may use a shaft diameter in the 10s, whereas a Billiard player may opt for a shaft nearing 14mm. This is primarily due to ball size.
Tip hardness, like shaft size, is wholly dependent upon the indivdual player's wonts and needs. Soft tips usually provide more cueball spin than do hard ones.
Experimentation is the only real way to find out what best suits your needs.

Whew! That wasn't so bad. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Answering these questions properly will be like tip-toeing through a mine field. At night. With clown shoes on. So here goes.

Shaft sizes for poolcues come in many different sizes, cesar. Depending upon individual preference, they generally fall within the range of 13mm to 11.5 mm, although larger and smaller diameters have been observed. Snooker players, for instance, may use a shaft diameter in the 10s, whereas a Billiard player may opt for a shaft nearing 14mm. This is primarily due to ball size.
Tip hardness, like shaft size, is wholly dependent upon the indivdual player's wonts and needs. Soft tips usually provide more cueball spin than do hard ones.

Oh yeah?:angry:
My carom cue is 11.5 mm...won't find much bigger than 12mm at 3 cushion.

..and I hope all my opponents use flat tips....
..I use 'dime' shape 'cause I like to spin the ball

ric23

no stroke!!!
Silver Member

Damn tramp, another straight answer without your grandpa or sister getting involved! Well said!

I used a nickel before and I did notice they mushroom much quicker than the dime. And they are both tiger everest tips. I tried using a dime on a 12.75 mm tip and didn't like it. But a dime on an 11.75 is fine.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I used a dime shape for years because I thought it mattered...now I do not think it matters for nickle or dime. Johnnyt

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a McDermott I-3 shaft with a 11.75mm tip diameter. So, I prefer a dime shaped tip. On my break cue, with a 13mm tip diameter, i use a nickel shape tip. But as others have stated, shape your tip to your own preference. What's good for the goose may not be suitable for the gander.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
On 13mm, I would use nickel, and 12mm I would use dime. Now I'm not so sure it makes a difference, just as long as you have a curved tip surface, engish will hold.

obr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of opinions on this, but here's mine...a nickel bevel is the most optimum for the average sized cueball's curvature, to include the big tavern ball. Dime bevel is okay, but really overkill. Some prefer the dime to the nickel because as your nickel bevel flattens out (usually with soft or super soft tips), you quickly see a difference; a dime flattening out won't see a big difference until it REALLY flattens/mushrooms. I've tried both, and I can do a lot more with a nickel than I could with a dime--with more control and fewer miscues (not sure how that works--probably because a dime bevel gets you pushing your english outside what the cue ball's curvature will tolerate?). I also prefer medium to medium-hard tips, so my nickel bevel never really flattens out for me (medium Triangle).

As an aside, most snooker players use a flat tip, with mushroom'd edges for english. They need a flat, precise, predictable, repeatable hit; any english has to be precisely planned and executed, or they miss. A well rounded tip would put spin on the cueball in all cases except a dead center hit (which is almost impossible to do, there's always a micron left/right/up/down when the tip hits the ball).

good post, interesting to learn that about snooker players..

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Oh yeah?:angry:
My carom cue is 11.5 mm...won't find much bigger than 12mm at 3 cushion.

..and I hope all my opponents use flat tips....
..I use 'dime' shape 'cause I like to spin the ball

Well, picky, picky, picky. :)

crappoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just to let you know, the vast majority of snooker players don't use flat tips. The only player I can think of is Stephen Hendry. :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Does it matter what your shaft size is on which you use?

Does it matter how hard your tip is?

I personally like the Dime Shape, but your play style will pretty much shape your tip. If you use a lot of Spin, you will have a DIME. If you do mostly Center Ball you will have a NICKLE......JMHO.;)

12ozCurl

Banned
I use more of a penny shape. Between the severe angles of the dime, but not quite as flat as the nickle

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
For myself, the Z and a 12mm are dimes. All the rest from above 12 to 13 are a nickel. I do shoot much better with a dime on the Z, don't know why, I just do.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's funny that "Caesar Morales" is asking questions like this. :)

HAHAHA. I sure hope you don't think I am the ghost of Cesar Morales or have any of his ability at the pool table. I figure that young man at Reds who went by the name of Cesar Morales could spot me the breaks and the last 8 playing nine ball and 20 - 2 playing one pocket.

I have my own idea about what is best but I wanted feedback on what others do. I use a 13mm plus with nickel shape for bar boxes with the big cue ball, 13mm with nickel shape on regular tables, and a 12mm with dime shape on the snooker table.

The response from az members has given me the idea that I need to expand my own testing. I am lucky enough to have a used cue dealer friend who lets me use anything in his inventory to test so I will be looking for some smaller shaft cues with a dime shape tip to try out the next time we are at the pool hall.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
A more rounded tip will assist (slightly) in aiming off center because your contact will be closer to the center of the tip. A flatter tip will help you find the center of the ball because it's contact point will tend towards the center of the ball. A completely flat tip will contact the center of the ball until you aim at least half a tip off center. For the same aim, a more rounded tip will give more spin because it actually impacts the cue ball farther from the center, if only a little. A nickel radius on a 12 mm tip will seem very flat. A dime radius on a 13.5 mm tip will seem like an arrow. In the end, it is player preference.