Nobody watches pool?

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They should play call y
If the secret is to attract new viewers, it'll be a challenge because I don't think non-player viewers have any conception of how good pros are. They don't understand that it's a combo of shot-making AND cue ball control. I think they think it's just shot-making. Heck, safeties look like terrible shots if you don't comprehend what a safety is. Several in a row and it looks like the pros are hacks. One simple thing is to identify the NEXT object ball; this only works in rotation games and 8-ball is the common game. In the USA anyway. I think they need to put a circle around the object ball and have it quickly fade out and then do the same for the next object ball after that. Non-standard pool ball colors is a problem.

As much as some commentators get on my nerves, I think complete silence is more boring. As for the commenting, one thing that strikes me (for attracting non-player viewers) is that what they are yakking about for every shot, it's not easy for the average viewer to follow all that. Pool is def a challenge to make it appealing to non-players.

Another problem is that there is more than one way a player can shoot a shot and that is a problem for the commentators. Especially with shot clocks, they don't have much time to explain. That's a challenge.

Online gambling might help, yes.

FWIW, I played pool for many years before I truly understood how much a good player can control the cue ball. As I grew up, safeties didn't exist. It was all about shot-making and somehow hope for 'shapes.' This was barroom and pool hall pool. But hardly any real good players. Just recreational pool.
They should play call your shape.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the kind of thing that will ultimately grow pool on TV! Plain and simple, people like to watch anything where there is big money on the line, the bigger the better. Big money pool tournaments will also attract more young athletic kids into the game. Pool is fun and if you can make money doing it, it's even more fun! HELLO

Big money pool tournaments will be a bonanza for the pool manufacturers. They all need to get onboard. They will sell more pool tables, more cloth, more chalk, more cues, more everything!

when big money is on the line, those well oiled strokes will really be tested. i loved the WC:s in the 00's before qatar bought it. roberto gomez vs daryl peach in manila for 100k had a lot of tension

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some disordered thoughts on making pool more attractive to the general public and why this might be a struggle.

#1. To be blunt, figure out what you‘re going to do with racking. Solve it.

#2. Avoid camera shots of disembodied hands. Show the entire player making the shot more often. Ever try to learn what a player’s stance looks like by watching a video of a pool match? Or whether he moved before he struck the cue ball? Maybe every ten shots or so you get a brief chance.

#3. To echo one of the commentators above, most non-players have no idea how difficult it is to make a pool shot. I love it when people tell me that they don’t watch golf because it’s too boring. I always ask them if they have ever hit a golf ball. Or if they know that a golf ball wants to do everything but go straight. Snooker has an advantage over pool in this regard. People see premiere players miss crucial balls often. Even people who have never played a frame can see that snooker is a tough nut. This is statement about reality, not a solution.

#4. Again, to echo a commenter above, there needs to be a narrative. Speaking with a golf fan who was a devoted Ohio State University alumnus, I remarked that I could never really get excited by Jack Nicklaus no matter how great he played. I was always more taken with Palmer and Player, let alone Snead. My friend nodded and said, “Yeah .You need a narrative.” And some presentable masculinity helps. Barry Hearn didn’t lose any viewership when Paul Hunter and Steven Hendry came along. Can you imagine “The Hustler” with George C. Scott‘s reigning champion played by one European player and Eddy Felsen played by another one. What’s on The Nature Channel?

#5. Alternate breaks. Win the match by two. The public doesn’t want to see packages. It’s the pool addicts who want to see those. The public wants to see competition under pressure. Win by two creates that more frequently. What‘s the viewership for Wimbledon? And who are the sponsors for that broadcast? Win by two!

#6. Dump the black clothes. Most of the players already look like automata. Dressing the same deepens the effect. Being Postmodern won’t get it done.

#7. Downplay the nationalities. Pool players do not settle questions of geopolitics. I’ve always disliked the way European billiard tournaments have the flag of each player’s country next to him. Bismarck never worried about how strong his club’s billiard team was.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some disordered thoughts on making pool more attractive to the general public and why this might be a struggle.

#2. Avoid camera shots of disembodied hands. Show the entire player making the shot more often. Ever try to learn what a player’s stance looks like by watching a video of a pool match? Or whether he moved before he struck the cue ball? Maybe every ten shots or so you get a brief chance.

#3. To echo one of the commentators above, most non-players have no idea how difficult it is to make a pool shot. I love it when people tell me that they don’t watch golf because it’s too boring. I always ask them if they have ever hit a golf ball. Or if they know that a golf ball wants to do everything but go straight. Snooker has an advantage over pool in this regard. People see premiere players miss crucial balls often. Even people who have never played a frame can see that snooker is a tough nut. This is statement about reality, not a solution.

#4. Again, to echo a commenter above, there needs to be a narrative. Speaking with a golf fan who was a devoted Ohio State University alumnus, I remarked that I could never really get excited by Jack Nicklaus no matter how great he played. I was always more taken with Palmer and Player, let alone Snead. My friend nodded and said, “Yeah .You need a narrative.” And some presentable masculinity helps. Barry Hearn didn’t lose any viewership when Paul Hunter and Steven Hendry came along. Can you imagine “The Hustler” with George C. Scott‘s reigning champion played by one European player and Eddy Felsen played by another one. What’s on The Nature Channel?

#5. Alternate breaks. Win the match by two. The public doesn’t want to see packages. It’s the pool addicts who want to see those. The public wants to see competition under pressure. Win by two creates that more frequently. What‘s the viewership for Wimbledon? And who are the sponsors for that broadcast? Win by two!

#6. Dump the black clothes. Most of the players already look like automata. Dressing the same deepens the effect. Being Postmodern won’t get it done.

#7. Downplay the nationalities. Pool players do not settle questions of geopolitics. I’ve always disliked the way European billiard tournaments have the flag of each player’s country next to him. Bismarck never worried about how strong his club’s billiard team was.
is this trolling? I disagree every point you make

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get ALL the players to the gym. Like it or not, they ARE the show. They need to be presentable in casual sports attire - even gray track suits would be an improvement. The missing audience doesn't GAS about colored particle physics. Think beach volley ball... (prolly end up watching beach volley ball....)

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Poolmanis--

Sorry we are so far apart!

You must know I am not a troll. I live in southern Indiana. Trolls live in....well, in Finland, for example. Of all people, you ought to be able to identify a troll.

I'm just kidding you. I can understand that someone might disagree with what I wrote, although I'm a little surprised that one person disagrees with EVERY point.

By the way, to be geopolitical and countries' flags for a second, hats off to Finland! Your grandfathers helped convince Hitler that the Russian army wasn't so great, so Hitler decided to attack Russia. The world is grateful.

If you ever get to the Derby City Classic, let me know. I'll buy you a drink. We can get drunk and REALLY disagree!

Tobermory

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand that someone might disagree with what I wrote, although I'm a little surprised that one person disagrees with EVERY point.

Tobermory

Actually i kinda agree that camera work could be better. So not really all bad.

I was just pointing out that many of those are your opinions and many people will have different things that they like.

Like alternative breaks.. It is so boring i cant watch and most of players I know think same. Even here in AZB.

I was bad mood when i did read all scheisse couple trolls flooded on Dr-Daves thread and just left stupid comment.. Sorry about that.

AxisBloodmoon

Id consider myself more general public then a good player, I can make some nice cuts, banks, jumps and a bit of masse. But myself and my son don't really enjoy watching the pros as is currently presented. Id rather go back and watch old 90's reyes vs strickland "both have some sort of personal flair to be seen" matches or something like that if I was watching pool.

I agree with #2, #3 I'm one of those people who always found watching golf boring, no, I've never hit a ball and it seems boring enough to never try based on what I've watched.

I also agree with #6, its like I'm back in middle school and wearing nothing but black "I finally grew out of that in my mid 30's and have a dash of color in things now, ha!" and so are the rest of the kids.

#7 I don't care where you hail from, I care if your entertaining and I can analyze the shots and learn from you while enjoying watching.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
DAZN was the only way to get the commentary table (Table 1) in the US, so those with subscriptions were likely watching there. If I had to guess, I'd say that might be several thousand. It's possible that there is some cross-over from boxing fans but DAZN was only used in the US and Brazil:

WHERE TO WATCH PREMIER LEAGUE POOL 2024
DAZN – USA & Brazil
Viaplay – Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia
Nova – Czechia & Slovakia
Sportklub – Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia
Web The Thao – Vietcontent – Vietnam
Fox Sports – Australia
All other territories can watch both table coverage through Matchroom.live
Bob, I tried DAZN twice. Both times they had issues on the stream locking up and being robotic. Hoping someday they can get a reliable stream.

Danny_

Look at what UK's Ultimate Pool is doing. That's probably the most successful pro pool broadcast of the last 20 years. They're on tv in 66 countries! IMO, they're playing the right game (8 ball), the right shot time duration (15 seconds) and the right match duration (20 minutes for a race to 6). WAY more exciting than Matchroom.

Listen to the interview here. They're bringing a tournament to the US.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at what UK's Ultimate Pool is doing. That's probably the most successful pro pool broadcast of the last 20 years. They're on tv in 66 countries! IMO, they're playing the right game (8 ball), the right shot time duration (30 seconds) and the right match duration (20 minutes for a race to 6). WAY more exciting than Matchroom.

Listen to the interview here. They're bringing a tournament to the US.

the game is popular in former british colonies, and not so much outside that. but so is cricket. the diminutive table and pingpong sized cueball makes it weird to me, but i like the speed and the stress. maybe 15 second shot clock (after 10 minutes they go to 15 seconds) is a tad too short.

i suspect the american version will be a pro-am thing?

Danny_

the game is popular in former british colonies, and not so much outside that. but so is cricket. the diminutive table and pingpong sized cueball makes it weird to me, but i like the speed and the stress. maybe 15 second shot clock (after 10 minutes they go to 15 seconds) is a tad too short.

i suspect the american version will be a pro-am thing?
Yes, they are starting both pro and amateur leagues.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom can clearly afford time clocks. A ref announcing time HAS GOT TO BE DISTRACTING. If Pat can afford time clocks surely Barry can.

tomatoshooter

The trick is to avoid news of who won until you watch it on replay.

Easier said than done:ROFLMAO:

I once asked my mother why she was reading year old readers digest magazines and she told me "it's news to me"
Yeah, we should make sure to not name winners in thread titles and avoid mentioning the winners in other threads for recent matches. I don't think I had trouble avoiding spoilers for the last Mosconi Cup so I think the forum here is well behaved. We don't want something like this happening:

Pool is niche enough that it's not really going to be Mentone much in the non pool world.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Where they could use the jog ahead button?
If you use Chrome....there are extensions you can add....1 is a Youtube Ad Skipper....and it does literally that.....skips all the ads....There is also a Booster which adds some controls.... and a shorts blocker where the shorts play just like a normal instead of all shrunk down.

I have not seen an ad in I can't tell you how long on Youtube....

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you use Chrome....there are extensions you can add....1 is a Youtube Ad Skipper....and it does literally that.....skips all the ads....There is also a Booster which adds some controls.... and a shorts blocker where the shorts play just like a normal instead of all shrunk down.

Ssshh... Goog'll start disabling 'em.
Firefox has a bunch of extensions as well. Love 'em - many of the same ones as Edge I gather.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that some tournaments have the two out of three sets races to four vs a single race to nine. Sometimes those longer races end up one sided like a baseball game where one team scores eight runs in the first inning. Ugh nothing worth watching. But the short races keep you watching and can have dramatic endings.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues

I'm not talking about ads I'm talking about when they stand and look at the table for a minute or take bathroom breaks.

Started to watch a match today. Showin off the ole butt crack you should be put out on the street.
crack.jpg