OB1 Shaft and Hard Cue Tips

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone play an OB1 Shaft with a really hard cue tip? I heard you need to install a pad between the tip & ferrule. I'm wondering if this will deaden the feel of the hard tip.

Any thougths would be appreciated. Thanks!

Background: I usually play a Lacsi 11.75 hybrid shaft with a Water Buffalo hard tip. Recently I'm feeling that an 12.75 would make for a tighter bridge for myself. I bought a slightly used OB1 and like the way it hits,.. just don't want to put a Water Buffalo Hard tip on without checking here first... cause you guys are gooood!:thumbup:

Thanks again,

Joe

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Does anyone play an OB1 Shaft with a really hard cue tip? I heard you need to install a pad between the tip & ferrule. I'm wondering if this will deaden the feel of the hard tip.

Any thougths would be appreciated. Thanks!

Background: I usually play a Lacsi 11.75 hybrid shaft with a Water Buffalo hard tip. Recently I'm feeling that an 12.75 would make for a tighter bridge for myself. I bought a slightly used OB1 and like the way it hits,.. just don't want to put a Water Buffalo Hard tip on without checking here first... cause you guys are gooood!:thumbup:

Thanks again,

Joe

You might want to hit up Royce at OB Cues about this, I am certain he can help you.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You need a pad (and they do come with pads installed) on an OB shaft regardless of the tip choice. This has been asked & answered by Royce before. The tip you use is your choice, and any miniscule effect the pad has is something you'll have to put up with - but given that you like the soft hit of OB's anyway (as do I), it can't imagine you'll be too hung up on it all.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
The pads on the OB shafts are not the normal pads you get from a billiard supply store.

From their website:

"Note:

The Carbon Fiber tip pad that is used on the OB-1 cue shaft is not the normal vulcanized fiber pad that has been used under tips for years. Our pad is actually Carbon Fiber composite very similar to that which is used in the aerospace industry. We machine them from sheets into the small circles, so they are not available any where else. These pads will not soften the hit like the other pads either. The primary purpose for them is to keep the ferrule from spreading, or mushrooming. As long as an OB-1 has a Carbon Fiber pad under the tip, we will guarantee the ferrule for life! Replacement Carbon Fiber pads are available on our accessories page."

http://www.obcues.com/retipping.html

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pads on the OB shafts are not the normal pads you get from a billiard supply store.

From their website:

"Note:

The Carbon Fiber tip pad that is used on the OB-1 cue shaft is not the normal vulcanized fiber pad that has been used under tips for years. Our pad is actually Carbon Fiber composite very similar to that which is used in the aerospace industry.
http://www.obcues.com/retipping.html

Thanks for the valuable information. I didnt' realize the pads were specific for the OB shafts!

Thanks so much!

instroke2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ob1... with a hard tip,

hmmm I remember playing with one many moons ago. Even with a Hard tip, the wood ferulle and shaft does not allow for allot of feedback. And it's made with a foam insert inside the shaft to deaden it even more.

Moves whitey around really nicely, but I find the hit too soft. But it has very little deflection. Allot of players love the OB1, just not my cup of tea I guess.