Offbeat Games

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few weeks ago, one of our better local players challenged Rudy Luat to play some two-rail banks (much to his backer's eventual sorrow). They played a race to five, open-breaking a nine-ball rack. I cannot recall ever seeing the game played before. Anybody else got stories about oddball games? GF

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
George Fels said:
A few weeks ago, one of our better local players challenged Rudy Luat to play some two-rail banks (much to his backer's eventual sorrow). They played a race to five, open-breaking a nine-ball rack. I cannot recall ever seeing the game played before. Anybody else got stories about oddball games? GF

There is a bank game where you get so much for every rail. I saw some guys play for 50 a rail, it was pretty good.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's that game that Willie Jopling loves? You know the one where the object is to scratch off the object ball. He told me he showed the game to Efren at DCC, and Efren mastered it almost immediately.

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
What's that game that Willie Jopling loves? You know the one where the object is to scratch off the object ball. He told me he showed the game to Efren at DCC, and Efren mastered it almost immediately.

Hell, I like to know the name as well. I have been playing it all along and never knew. lol

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
He calls it, "Kiss Pool."

Fred

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Poker... each player the more the better is dealt a hand of 5 cards (kept private)

A = 1 ball
2 = 2 ball
ect

J = 11 Ball
Q= 12 ball
K = 13 ball

the 14 and 15 are open balls used continue your turn and/or to get shape and are spotted immediately after they are sunk.

if the player at the table sinks a ball matching a card or cards in his hand he plays them.. anyone else holding the same card discards that card and draws 2 more cards.

you win when you have no cards in your hand

works great when you have alot of people with varying degrees of skill

there is no safety play.. you don't know what you have to hide him from..

its a fun game with groups...

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
I have a few buddies who love to play carom 8-ball. You have to carom every ball in and call your shots. If the 8 is the last ball on the table, it has to be banked atleast 3 rails. Nice way to get your $1's worth on a barbox.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

I have played one similar though you don't ever strike the cue ball..except for the break

there are two cue balls one on the head spot one on the center spot.. standard 8 ball rack

you must shoot the first cueball into the second to break the rack

from that point on you stroke the object ball but you must hit a cueball first (there are two on the table) and carom into the pocket.

other than that standard 8 ball rules.

it is a fun little game. and teaches carom angles like nothing else I have seen...

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
15:1 8 ball

the stripes player must pocket the 15 in the right side pocket (standing at the head of the table) and the solids player must pocket the 1 ball in the left side pocket..immediately before the 8

standard 8 ball rules apply..

either ball pocketed out of turn is spotted one diamond towards the foot of the table on the side it must be sunk

you did ask for oddball games LOL

Last edited:

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Jay, we taught him that game here in Chicago - and two days later, he was playing it with Hopkins for $200 a rattle. GF

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
What about Cribbage?

I never hear too much about this game anymore but I used to play it frequently as a youngster. Rack all 15 balls and the player scores a point when he pockets 2 balls totaling 15 (the 15 ball counts as a point by itself). Every ball has a partner: 14 & 1, 13 & 2, 12 & 3 etc. (the 15 ball is shot last). If you make the first ball of the two and don't make the 2nd one, then the one you made gets spotted and the other player shoots. You play to 15 points. I think it's a great game. Anybody else ever play this??