Oklahoma’s Formidable Glenn “The Eufaula Kid” Womack

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
R. A. "Jake" Dyer has posted an extract from my book about Glenn "The Eufaula Kid" Womack on his website, PoolHistory.com.

Billiards Digest columnist George Fels once said that in the era of so-called “Rebel traps” tables with tight pockets, that Glenn Womack was among those southerners universally considered as unbeatable. Womack even tangled with the legendary Johnny “Irish” Lineen during the 1940s — and held his own. Remarked billiards writer Eddie Robin: “Anyone who could play ‘Irish’ even up in those days should be considered an all-time great, win or lose.”

During his 63 years, Glenn “The Eufaula Kid” Womack was an actor, an athlete, a soldier, and a bootlegger. But mostly he was a pool player — and for awhile he was one of America’s best. Here’s a look back.

Please check-out Jake's wonderful site for the rest of the story plus many more stories about One Pocket and Johnston City. It's a real treasure trove.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the above, many spots to check into and find lots of history. Eufaula Kid must have been one great player to beat the ones of his day.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
In the late 60's, Bud Harris from Frisco was a student of Welker Cochran who was a student of Professor Perkins said, "The Eufalua Kid was the Best One Pocket player around."

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
He (Eddie Robin) showed up at the recent BCA Expo on Las Vegas. Sold some books.

I was in Eufaula on Monday after the eclipse. No pool hall. Had some OK ice cream.
Who saw him there alive? Have You personally spoke to Eddie or seen him? I don't know anyone in Vegas that has seen him for 2+ years. One of these people used to live with Eddie years ago.

Eddie's gofer/runner in Vegas for many years awhile back went to his apt. to find the Police there. When he inquired to the Police, "What's going on?" The Police asked him, "Are you a family member?" When the guy replied, "No" they told him, "We can only give that info to a family member.

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Hold up...who spoke to Eddie Robin and when was that?
Val Carpenter Jr. (Squirrel's older brother) told the story to Eddie Robin. Although Squirrel lost to the Eufaula Kid the first time they met, the Carpenter brothers were big winners gambling-wise in the second meeting.

Val narrowly escaped from hold-up artists and corrupt police with the cash. Squirrel was arrested three times before he could get out of OKC. Val was holding most of the money because Squirrel's bulging pockets interfered with his shooting.

Reactions: bbb

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Val Carpenter
Who saw him there alive? Have You personally spoke to Eddie or seen him? I don't know anyone in Vegas that has seen him for 2+ years. One of these people used to live with Eddie years ago.

Eddie's gofer/runner in Vegas for many years awhile back went to his apt. to find the Police there. When he inquired to the Police, "What's going on?" The Police asked him, "Are you a family member?" When the guy replied, "No" they told him, "We can only give that info to a family member.
Val Carpenter Jr. (the older brother of Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter) was there and told the whole story to Eddie Robin. It's on page 234 of Winning One Pocket.

I thought Eddie Robin passed away a couple years ago, but if @Bob Jewett has seen him more recently than that, I must be mistaken. Eddie's brother Stan Robin came on the forum and posted in this old thread that he was trying to get in touch with him back in January, 2023.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lived in Ok my whole life and never heard of the guy. When you say 'Eufaula' first thing people think about are the three Selmon brothers that played football for OU.

Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope he is still alive if he wants to be, seemed like a nice guy. easy to talk to.
I always enjoyed talking with him, but you and I are both misspeaking a bit -- it was always A LOT more about me listening and him talking, but he was incredibly informative! I would clock him as a genius for sure. I hope he is still alive, but he does seem to have got more and more reclusive...