Old school pool room

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Yeah, I received the cue in 2007, the tables are more than a century older!

Thanks, I really like the feel of lizard. I had linen on some of my first cues but I don't really like the feel/slickness of linen and need some sort of leather or wrapless nowadays.

Howard Barrett told me when I was just a kid that a linen wrap "wasn't worth a shit 'til it's been on a cue for 20-30 years." I asked him why and he said, depending on how much you play, it takes that long to get gummy enough to feel right. I asked him "What about the first 25 years or so, Howard?" He just smiled, shrugged and walked back to his chair by the register.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can they possibly make a living out of this place?

Then again, maybe they are not trying to make a living here.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
How can they possibly make a living out of this place?

Then again, maybe they are not trying to make a living here.

Like PT said, good food and a loyal following. Not to mention that the tables have been paid off for quite some time...lol.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally it was a hard core pool only place where women were banned. Now they make far more money on food than pool. I've been in there when I was the only person playing pool and the food area was packed with people standing waiting for a table to open.

The width of the place is just large enough to bridge from the end of the table without having the wall interfere. It's a cool place but I spend 99% of my days playing at home on my own table.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Originally it was a hard core pool only place where women were banned. Now they make far more money on food than pool. I've been in there when I was the only person playing pool and the food area was packed with people standing waiting for a table to open.

The width of the place is just large enough to bridge from the end of the table without having the wall interfere. It's a cool place but I spend 99% of my days playing at home on my own table.

That's the way it has been for me as well. I'm usually the only person playing. There will be someone come in for a few games here and there but I'm the only one playing for multiple hours. That said, this has been during the day. I'd love to eventually get a nice table at home but I've got to get a home to fit one in first. I met a kid that I played a little 3-cushion with there and he was telling me he travels around Missouri to different rooms a lot and said that I have to check out Teachers in St. Peters as they have 9' Diamonds. I may take a day trip there this Friday.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arcade tables are quite a bit like The kling models
both are considered among the finest of the antique tables

i had one of each but i still don't remember which is better

I would rather play on them than any Diamond but the
Centennial,Anniversary and gold Crowns play a little better

maybe a lot better,but there is something to be said for nostalgia

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow.

Very nice. I've been to Columbia a bunch and never knew this place existed. I'll have to check it out on my next run to KC.

Lou Figueroa

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Great post super cool place. Just pool, nothing else to distract. I dig it.