OMG, Now snooker maximum break is 167

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A mystery pocket, under a trapdoor

Or several pockets, and put the table on a pivot system and get rid of the cues.

GUEST_3b9c0f82-dac2-4a59-8f9e-ec7f9d971045

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget the 147. Pay a MIL----yun dollars to the player that scores the first all Reds and Yellows 72 (think that would be the score).

I think if they invented the game today, the black would be in the baulk area. Would make for some interesting scoring scenarios.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Of course it's the Saudis, and of course its gold, because why wouldn't it be? So tacky and classless. Nobody wants gimmick snooker. It's been tried over and over again and is always rejected. The British are very protective of their traditions, and rightfully so. This will go nowhere.

Flakeandrun

Of course it's the Saudis, and of course its gold, because why wouldn't it be? So tacky and classless. Nobody wants gimmick snooker. It's been tried over and over again and is always rejected. The British are very protective of their traditions, and rightfully so. This will go nowhere.
But it will go... into putting money into Saudi pockets... and making a joke out of something beautiful... just for the sake of it. People are pawns after all.

Shoot-out format is decent and the only think acceptable outside of a traditional frame (I might advocate, like Mark Williams, for BIH in the traditional format also, to shorten the game a little for today's brain dead, low attention span lifestyle), but adding balls and bala bala bala is just garbage.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
But it will go... into putting money into Saudi pockets... and making a joke out of something beautiful... just for the sake of it. People are pawns after all.

Shoot-out format is decent and the only think acceptable outside of a traditional frame (I might advocate, like Mark Williams, for BIH in the traditional format also, to shorten the game a little for today's brain dead, low attention span lifestyle), but adding balls and bala bala bala is just garbage.
I don't like any of the modern twists on snooker, because the original game is not broken.

Also, letting braindead consumers direct your games development never works out. Look at the mess that has been made of pool. We used to have 14.1 on 10 foot tables. Tables that used to be tall like snooker tables with glorious green cloth and traditional colour balls. Now we have 9 ball on 7 foot tables and new rules every week. The tables are so low that only midgets can play all day without injuring their backs. And who the f knows which ball has which colour anymore? There are literally new colours every week and somehow the colours make less and less sense. For instance when the cloth changed to blue (that's a whole thing in itself) some cretin decided that we should now change balls that were green previously to blue! It's like they're trying to destroy the game and they've done it IMO. Pool has been completely ruined. Should have left well enough alone.

Flakeandrun

I don't like any of the modern twists on snooker, because the original game is not broken.

Also, letting braindead consumers direct your games development never works out. Look at the mess that has been made of pool. We used to have 14.1 on 10 foot tables. Tables that used to be tall like snooker tables with glorious green cloth and traditional colour balls. Now we have 9 ball on 7 foot tables and new rules every week. The tables are so low that only midgets can play all day without injuring their backs. And who the f knows which ball has which colour anymore? There are literally new colours every week and somehow the colours make less and less sense. For instance when the cloth changed to blue (that's a whole thing in itself) some cretin decided that we should now change balls that were green previously to blue! It's like they're trying to destroy the game and they've done it IMO. Pool has been completely ruined. Should have left well enough alone.
I completely agree with you, everything changes, and it's almost always about money and not betterment or improvement of a game... but actually, times really have changed around us. I would say this is actually even more relevant to snooker than pool - a game that would be truly dead and buried if it wasn't for purists and fanatics (and Chinese/Saudi money).
As a game, It is simply too long for anyone but purists to truly enjoy in the current state of the world that has been manufactured for consumers to live in (...if you can call this living). So, as Mark Williams suggested, nothing needs to change, but a ball in hand would help speed things along a little.
Coming from an avid snooker player, whose dad would probably beat him senseless for suggesting the above.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I always forget about the stupid table height thing. You're definitely not wrong about that!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just came out from the cave and saw the recent news that inaugural snooker event ($1Million prize fund) "World Masters of Snooker" in Saudi Arabia next month will have maximum break 167 (Golden break actually cos there will be golden ball worth 20 points after player hits 147). :ROFLMAO:

conan-o-brien-what-the-hell-i-is-that.png
Ronnie O sullivan will get that money

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

It's a table for dwarves, or something.

CanadianGuy

well in cue sports when you start with...."we will pay you a million dollars....."

I'm all good with whatever comes next

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Number of 147 is already quite rare
13 last season 2022-2023 in ranking and invitational events
https://cuetracker.net/statistics/c...=professional&categories=ranking,invitational

10 so far this season 2023-2024
https://cuetracker.net/statistics/c...=professional&categories=ranking,invitational

There are about 20 ranking and invitational events. So around one 147 for every 2 events :LOL: Though big juicy prize $$ may ramp it up a bit

there's less incentives now than before but 13 is still quite many. and they come from all kinds of players, even low ranked ones. there are more players capable of achieving a maximum than ever before