Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You simply won't get a top guy going on record for anything more than a congrats, I do know as a fact that thier are a few that say that the conditions and the cleaning of balls were a big factor in the run , it's not personal just a statement of facts

Agree to disagree Sir.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You simply won't get a top guy going on record for anything more than a congrats, I do know as a fact that thier are a few that say that the conditions and the cleaning of balls were a big factor in the run , it's not personal just a statement of facts

Cleaning the balls may make a big difference for John, I dont know but, I do know it makes absolutely no difference as far being easier in my 14.1 game.

I've done it both ways. To tell you the truth, I think I do better without polished balls.

CLEAN, not POLISHED balls do what I expect them to do. POLISHED balls, to me, do funny things off the rails.

They bank long, which means you have to adjust for shape. I'm not sold on the polished balls make it easier idea.

Polished balls make it DIFFERENT.......not EASIER.

IMO, most people cry about polished balls as an excuse to make them feel better about their own poor shot accuracy.

JMO

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree. Or at least do it with legal tobacco, such as a strong burley.

John's record is the best authenticated. There are always going to be those who want to make it disappear, or somehow make it seem irrelevant. Those souls have serious issues.

All the best,
WW

Lol.... yep, he needs to change brands or something.

If someone wants to break his record, I'm all for seeing it happen. I know John wants it to stand for as long as possible, I dont blame him. He worked hard and sacrificed a lot more than anyone else has been willing to.......and IMO, nobody will be willing to do the grunt work to break John's record:

Just like they weren't willing to do the HUGE amount of work to break Willie's record.

Sure, if someone puts enough $$$ up, players will come out of the woodwork to try it. Until then, well, the only ones that will try are people like John and that is:

people that are willing to sacrifice for nothing garruanteed and that "nothing guaranteed" is A HUGE thing to overcome when they may be looking at weeks but, most likely months without a paycheck.

Lol....^^^^^^^^ right there separates the MEN from the boys.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John missed a whole bunch of times between 210 and 450. If he had let it really bother him, I think he would have stopped. I also think that when he started to get into the 400s multiple times, he realized that it was really only a matter of time and he had set out enough time.

Bob, it's called work ethic Sir.

John has proven to everyone that he has more than his share of character at the table.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Dennis at Derby 2017 and he was coming to shoot 14.1 every morning and often had near 200 first try. He is sick shooter and he have so much knowledge it is unreal.
He is a machine. Any game. I would not be surprised if he make 400+ first try. He needs real money to fuel him.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Ball polisher

Lou would you be willing to be all-time ball polisher so we can see this 626 (pending unedited original video) get swept away quickly ? Pretty please....

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the mental aspect of beating a world record was and will be the toughest part of the feat. JS shared quite a few candid videos after his attempts at Easy Street, and you could tell how exhausted and frustrated he was, especially on decent runs which ended in unlucky scratches. There’s nothing you can do but admit defeat to Lady Luck and that will suck the air out of you especially when you’ve spent hours upon hours of work. I honestly think if it weren’t for the fans/family/friends who cheered him on and encouraged him throughout this ordeal, he wouldn’t have broken the record in the time he allotted. I cannot even fathom the mental beating he had to endure when he failed again and again and again, upon days and days and days, to reset himself time after time after time. JS has shown the world that he’s more than a pool player — he is a dedicated athlete.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Dennis at Derby 2017 and he was coming to shoot 14.1 every morning and often had near 200 first try. He is sick shooter and he have so much knowledge it is unreal.
He is a machine. Any game. I would not be surprised if he make 400+ first try. He needs real money to fuel him.

I know a lot of people, I mean a LOT of people that will bet REAL BIG that he dont hit 400 his "first" attempt.

If I had any money, I'd be one of them.

Manis, your 100% correct about DO being a machine. Man, when he gets in gear, well, it's on but, 400 run in 14.1 "the first attempt"??? I'm not so sure about that?

You may want to rethink that one.

Think about this:

How many have you ran? 100, 150.... ok, how much harder do you think it would be for you to run 200 or 300?

Well, I've watched DO play 14.1 several times while in gear and, well, it took way more than 1 try to break 200, much less 400.

Sure, if it was a lot more $$$ on the line he would step it up a bit but, "a bit" wont make it to 400 the "first attempt" out of the gate.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the mental aspect of beating a world record was and will be the toughest part of the feat. JS shared quite a few candid videos after his attempts at Easy Street, and you could tell how exhausted and frustrated he was, especially on decent runs which ended in unlucky scratches. There’s nothing you can do but admit defeat to Lady Luck and that will suck the air out of you especially when you’ve spent hours upon hours of work. I honestly think if it weren’t for the fans/family/friends who cheered him on and encouraged him throughout this ordeal, he wouldn’t have broken the record in the time he allotted. I cannot even fathom the mental beating he had to endure when he failed again and again and again, upon days and days and days, to reset himself time after time after time. JS has shown the world that he’s more than a pool player — he is a dedicated athlete.

Tap tap tap!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou would you be willing to be all-time ball polisher so we can see this 626 (pending unedited original video) get swept away quickly ? Pretty please....

Lol

I'll supply the polish and ball cleaner if he will supply the BALLS (pun intended...lol).:eek:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a big 14-1 fan it's not that i don't like it, was just never around it much and nobody really played it in my neck of the woods.

I did know Dick Lane pretty well and got to see him practice it all the time back in the day, and i was always amazed at some of the high runs i got to see him do.

Just as a pool fan i would love to see Dennis, Thorsten, Mika, Melling or any top player try to break 626.

If the record stands up, it just shows how great a feat it really is.

Just my personal opinion let the challengers begin lol.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a big 14-1 fan it's not that i don't like it, was just never around it much and nobody really played it in my neck of the woods.

I did know Dick Lane pretty well and got to see him practice it all the time back in the day, and i was always amazed at some of the high runs i got to see him do.

Just as a pool fan i would love to see Dennis, Thorsten, Mika, Melling or any top player try to break 626.

If the record stands up, it just shows how great a feat it really is.

Just my personal opinion let the challengers begin lol.

I agree!

Take it from someone that's seen plenty of VERY STRONG 14.1 player from the 70s all the way to now, 626 is a HUGE number for anyone, including the elite.

The cream of the crop is what it will take to break it but, how long will it take is the question?

Stu said it earlier, the top players on the planet dont have the sheer experience at 14.1 that John has simply due to the HUGE amounts of time he has dedicated to it.

He has spent most of his pro career concentrating on 14.1. If not for that, I doubt very seriously he would have even come close.

I may be wrong, lord knows I've been wrong before but, IMO, even the elite players will have to dedicate some table time to "study" 14.1 "the game".

It's another animal altogether.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I agree!

Take it from someone that's seen plenty of VERY STRONG 14.1 player from the 70s all the way to now, 626 is a HUGE number for anyone, including the elite.

The cream of the crop is what it will take to break it but, how long will it take is the question?

Stu said it earlier, the top players on the planet dont have the sheer experience at 14.1 that John has simply due to the HUGE amounts of time he has dedicated to it.

He has spent most of his pro career concentrating on 14.1. If not for that, I doubt very seriously he would have even come close.

I may be wrong, lord knows I've been wrong before but, IMO, even the elite players will have to dedicate some table time to "study" 14.1 "the game".

It's another animal altogether.

I mentioned this earlier, but I really don’t think 14.1 is that different from any other cuesport. I watched another video of John doing a 300-something run, and he did a voiceover. Very early in the recording he says that people make way too big a deal of the break shot. He clearly says he doesn’t believe there’s any mysterious knowledge that top 14.1 players possess. He just hits them hard and hopes he gets a good split.

Again, I’m not taking anything away from his achievement. I have a friend who is a word class English billiard player. I’ve seen him make multiple 300, 400, and 500 breaks, his his highest break being 964. I’ve seen first hand the concentration required to achieve these Herculean feats. And I’ve seen physical and mental conditioning cause him to break down numerous times while on big breaks. 626 is a phenomenal achievement. I just don’t get all this talk of arcane 14.1 knowledge. I’m curious as to how many people here have actually watched all of one of John’s 300 runs.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mentioned this earlier, but I really don’t think 14.1 is that different from any other cuesport. I watched another video of John doing a 300-something run, and he did a voiceover. Very early in the recording he says that people make way too big a deal of the break shot. He clearly says he doesn’t believe there’s any mysterious knowledge that top 14.1 players possess. He just hits them hard and hopes he gets a good split.

Again, I’m not taking anything away from his achievement. I have a friend who is a word class English billiard player. I’ve seen him make multiple 300, 400, and 500 breaks, his his highest break being 964. I’ve seen first hand the concentration required to achieve these Herculean feats. And I’ve seen physical and mental conditioning cause him to break down numerous times while on big breaks. 626 is a phenomenal achievement. I just don’t get all this talk of arcane 14.1 knowledge. I’m curious as to how many people here have actually watched all of one of John’s 300 runs.

I watched voice over run your speaking of. John didn't mean to demean the break the way it sounded. I'm sure of that.

As a matter of fact, in his latest interview he said that the biggest thing he changed was "the way he shot break shots".

He said he relied more on a (memory...sucks but I'm close) pure stroke instead of all power.

He also said, that he come to realize that behind the rack breaks are far more valuable than he'd realized before and that after realizing those two things it helped him get over the hump, so to speak....in other words:

It put his 14.1 game at the "next" level.

Time will tell if it stays there.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I watched voice over run your speaking of. John didn't mean to demean the break the way it sounded. I'm sure of that.

As a matter of fact, in his latest interview he said that the biggest thing he changed was "the way he shot break shots".

He said he relied more on a (memory...sucks but I'm close) pure stroke instead of all power.

He also said, that he come to realize that behind the rack breaks are far more valuable than he'd realized before and that after realizing those two things it helped him get over the hump, so to speak....in other words:

It put his 14.1 game at the "next" level.

Time will tell if it stays there.

I did also see that, though if you watch the 400 run made before his 626, he seems to be struggling with his desire to ‘hit ‘em hard’.

Again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, his revelation really translates to hit em hard, or hit em medium.

I genuinely want to discuss the challenges of 14.1, but I’m honestly fearful of being seen as someone attempting to belittle John’s achievement, and that is not at all my intention.

I also think it’s great that his achievement has triggered more discussion about the game; its merits, challenges, place in the modern sport, etc.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny to me that for the last 60 years that 526 was absolutely amazing and an almost unbreakable record, but now that someone (John Schmidt) has broken it's just a minor thing and anyone can do it. All records are for breaking but if it was easy it would have been broken a long time ago

How would it be broken if no one tried?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a lot of people, I mean a LOT of people that will bet REAL BIG that he dont hit 400 his "first" attempt.

If I had any money, I'd be one of them.

Manis, your 100% correct about DO being a machine. Man, when he gets in gear, well, it's on but, 400 run in 14.1 "the first attempt"??? I'm not so sure about that?

You may want to rethink that one.

Think about this:

How many have you ran? 100, 150.... ok, how much harder do you think it would be for you to run 200 or 300?

Well, I've watched DO play 14.1 several times while in gear and, well, it took way more than 1 try to break 200, much less 400.

Sure, if it was a lot more $$$ on the line he would step it up a bit but, "a bit" wont make it to 400 the "first attempt" out of the gate.

It is easier to fail than succeed. Anybody and any game. I just said I would not be surprised if he pulled off 400+ from start. I saw him run between 190-226 three times on three attempts what I was watching.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have 2 dvds of big runs by John and his commentary along with them. They are pool lessons in themselves. However, anything older than 6 months ago, you are seeing a different John. According to him and his post 626 interview, he reached a new level of understanding on his 14.1 game...an example he made was that he was breaking softer and not slamming them hard and developing repeated 300+ and 400+ runs...there's other aspects which is why I'll be one of the first in line for the dvd with commentary....I'm ultra curious to hear John in his own words describe this evolution in his game after he started going for the record.