????Original Color of Money Joss Cue

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard that it was made to resemble an actual Balabushka. I worked with a guy for a while who swore up and down the cue was a real Balabushka, even after I showed him print outs from Dan Janes talking about making the cue. There are still people who believe the Adam Balabushka cues are the real thing, too:rolleyes:

My thing is... if they are gonna call out the cue makers name in a movie, shouldn't the cue kinda look like one he would build?

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thing is... if they are gonna call out the cue makers name in a movie, shouldn't the cue kinda look like one he would build?

I agree , while I was researching the prominence of said cue after taking possesion the statement made during the filming only complicated my efforts to establish authenticity ..

Luckily Jeffrey took care of that also .. he recieved 2 autographs from Paul Newman .

1 on a portrate of Paul addressed to Jeff
2 on a Dollar bill stating won by cheating to Jeff the Best .

This clearly states how valued a crewmember Jeffrey was to the Production of said movie and how his friendship to the others so clearly became .

I have been on a Journey of sorts behind the 8 ball on this ride so to speak and have come to a belief that we were graced with such talent to express the enthuisiasm of the art and gamemanship that goes along with the game of pool ..

I cried like a child when my sister had the courage to tell me of jeffrey's passsing and the only thing I could think of for so long was the experience of him whipping my behind with said pool cue ..

To Jeff the Best .........

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Shawn

Regardless the N 7 has been Known for years as the C.O.M. Cue. I am sure Paul Newman's Personal Cue would have a big Market. The Story I heard 2nd hand from Earl Strickland was, Once he saw Tom Cruise twirl his Balabushka Cue and put a small ding in the Butt Plate, He stopped them from using it. The movie being shot in the Baltimore area went to Joss and took production run cues which was the N 7 and now known as the C.O.M. Cue. If they made special Cues For the movie stars then so be it. The N 7 is still known as the C.O.M. Cue.

N7 wasn't a cue line at the time of the movie if memory serves. Here is the line that was out I think http://www.josscues.com/cue_archives/Archive/html/1985-brochure/1985_home.html

The j18 will have gold lettering, as did all of the j series, if original shaft to the cue the joss on shaft collar and butt will line up.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know what cue Paul Newman was using in the Color of Money?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
same cue i thought

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
??? Original Color of Money Joss Cue

This is a very interesting question if we think about this question carefully and remember that Fast Eddy tossed the Balabushka to Vincent !

So I did some digging and Guess what Jeffrey was a momento monster and knew what he was doing at the height of his carrer ....

Attachments

• 20150510_190946.jpg
    20150510_190946.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 681

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember there is 2 cases utilized in this production and they were also commisioned to be crafted for the production of said Movie ..

What was Fast Eddies main objective in his teachings throughout this film . There is a lesson if we can see it .

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
Now for my question . Whom made the cue cases utilized in the production of said movie ?

The cue case used in TCOM was made by McKernan out of Seattle. I think he was better known for his round tube wood type cases but he also did some box cases. You can Google and see some of his work.

Hope this helps.

J.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
here's my "com" joss with spears and gold lettering at joint. i remember seeing a full page ad in a 1990 pool and billiard mag showing the spears version. i'll have to dig it out soon and post pics of the ad.

Attachments

• JOSS-C-O-M8 (Large).jpg
    JOSS-C-O-M8 (Large).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 641

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One last picture

From left to right

1988 approx

Picture is wrong. See next post

Last edited:

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is the right picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are a nice collection of Joss cues man .. keep em coming folks I have a few more tid bits of imformation to divulge .. So lets cut through the sauce and get at the truth ..

Vincent and his beautiful manager are next . I got stories from Jeff that I should share .

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the movie....

(Removed because image was too large)

Last edited:

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is mine!

Attachments

• P1000364.jpg
    P1000364.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 673
  • P1000365.jpg
    P1000365.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 661
  • P1000366.jpg
    P1000366.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 602

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I can help a bit.

As said, your cue is not the real thing, you can see how the real thing looked here:

So where is the original cue?

Well here it is.....
In 2002 the "Jordan River Village" was founded in Israel which is "where seriously ill children can just be kids" this place is part of the HITW that was started by Paul Newman.

To kick start it a public auction took place. Paul Newman donated the original Joss "Balabushka" cue which was signed by him and Tom Cruise and was sold that night for $7000

Dude.......that's a Balabushka...!!!
OK?
Tom and Paul said so themselves in the movie.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
With next year being the 30th anniversary. It would be nice for Joss to do 30 special commemorative cues.

JV

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When was the film color of money produced ? The year TCOM was financed for the production of it 's filming is what I mean to ask ?
The year that filming actually proceeded ?
When was the production released for public viewing ?

There is a dialog between Fast Eddy and the charactor portrayed by Forest Whitaker . What was the pool cue used by Forest Whitaker ( Amos ) ?

Some write this some write that .. we have the TCOM cues ..

Thankfully to Jeff and Paul !

imdb.com

Last edited: