Original GC1 found

canyon_creeper

Registered
Sir,
You have a most beautiful table. And I hope you get the right advice about "restoring", "repairing" or anything else that will be getting it back into playing condition.

I would not change one thing on that table unless it will make it playable. You have an almost "antique" and I say that with the utmost respect and a bit of jealousy.
Beware of someone trying to "talk" you out of that table.
Please keep us updated; you take very good photos; they tell us a great deal about the table.

A by the way; some table mechanics use the word felt, but they shouldn't unless they know what the word means.
Dave
Thank you Dave, I appreciate the input.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The original for this table (if it is a GC I) was defiantly not BRUNSTONE. BRUNSTONE was not used until 1981. So says Brunswick. It's well documented. Many table mechanics seem ignorant of this. But if you Google it, you will find documentation of Brunswick's first commercial use of the word BRUNSTONE.
Furthermore, it's all caps, just the way Brunswick used the caps. Not Brunstone or brunstone.
Good Googling.

Yeah right, next you'll be saying his Brunstone is not really brunstone....because it's real slate....LOL...find a GC1 with slate and post a picture of that real slate.i don't care what you read....it's wrong period!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Dates on the casting or feet are not the year the table was produced.. working for a manufacturer, i can tell you it only means that the castings/feet were produced that year. The table itself can be a couple of years older. Most big companies will buy them in bulk to build x amount and have some spare parts. The fact that you have those "late gc1 aprons" probably means you have a late gc1 that they could build with leftover parts they had from early ones but the aprons were no longer in stock with the long extrusion.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Its not really a late GC1....with fig 8 nut plates.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah right, next you'll be saying his Brunstone is not really brunstone....because it's real slate....LOL...find a GC1 with slate and post a picture of that real slate.i don't care what you read....it's wrong period!

Glen just hates to be confronted with some myth he has held for years!
BRUNSTONE is what Brunswick says it is, not what Glen wants it to be.
Brunswick says that BRUNSTONE is a sandstone impregnated with resin.

Just what does the realkingcobra want BRUNSWICK to be, Glen?
Most respectfully,
Dave

canyon_creeper

Registered
Be careful with the slate,er, Brunstone. I've heard B-stone is more brittle than slate and can be easier to crack while moving. I'm sure the 'cobra can help with all those details. Awesome find, i'm kinda jealous, I grew up on GC1's
Thanks, I'm excited about it.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen (realkingcobra) knows a lot about pool tables and how to get them back in playing condition. Other table mechanics on this forum as also adept at pool table restoration, repairing, and maintenance. All in all, you are in good hands, isn't that right Glen?
Dave

Last edited:

canyon_creeper

Registered
I have a refinished GC I for sale with the screw attached feet, the plastic emblem & castings dated 1963. But it has long extrusions. The talk on here was the short extrusions came later. But who knows. There are not mechanics posting on here who did these tables iin the early 60's. Alot of stuff has been posted on the internet but most of it is what someone thinks rather than knows. Your rail formica looks to be in awesome shape. That is great.
Yeah, pretty lucky everything is in fairly good shape. Thanks

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man that is a nice table. I'd be inclined to keep as is with fresh cloth. That is a nice piece of history!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had 22 of those tables in my first poolroom in Bakersfield. The only thing I really didn't like was the plastic skirting or aprons. It was a hassle to take them off and a bigger hassle putting them back on after recovering the tables. I finally opted to just leave them off permanently. They are only there for decoration and do not affect the looks or playability of the table in any way imo. Just save them in case you ever decide to sell it.

I also believe that is real slate there. I had two great mechanics work on my tables; Pat Welch out of Fresno and Black Nate out of L.A. Pat could tear down and recover a GC in two hours! He was an amazing mechanic. He'd come down to my room and do four tables in one day and four more the next day, by himself! And they all played great.

Nate was equally as good, only slower. He was a perfectionist like realkingcobra. He wanted everything to be just right. He used to take the bus up to Bakersfield from L.A. to do my tables. I paid $75 per table back in the early 70's to have them recovered. On his last trip he had his tools stolen out of the luggage compartment of the bus. I sent him $100 to help him buy new tools but he never came back to Bakersfield after that.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 22 of those tables in my first poolroom in Bakersfield. The only thing I really didn't like was the plastic skirting or aprons. It was a hassle to take them off and a bigger hassle putting them back on after recovering the tables. I finally opted to just leave them off permanently. They are only there for decoration and do not affect the looks or playability of the table in any way imo. Just save them in case you ever decide to sell it.

I also believe that is real slate there. I had two great mechanics work on my tables; Pat Welch out of Fresno and Black Nate out of L.A. Pat could tear down and recover a GC in two hours! He was an amazing mechanic. He'd come down to my room and do four tables in one day and four more the next day, by himself! And they all played great.

Nate was equally as good, only slower. He was a perfectionist like realkingcobra. He wanted everything to be just right. He used to take the bus up to Bakersfield from L.A. to do my tables. I paid $75 per table back in the early 70's to have them recovered. On his last trip he had his tools stolen out of the luggage compartment of the bus. I sent him $100 to help him buy new tools but he never came back to Bakersfield after that.

Is that the same black Nate that's REAL good at one hole and used to hang in the south golfing ( GA a lot or AL ) when he wasn't on the road?

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made a correction to my post number 12 concerning the spelling of Brunswick's BRUNSTONE. Brunswick did spell it Brunstone in one historical document.
See post number 12.

Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that the same black Nate that's REAL good at one hole and used to hang in the south golfing ( GA a lot or AL ) when he wasn't on the road?

No, that's Nate from Detroit that you are talking about. He's still alive, showed up at DCC a couple of times.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, that's Nate from Detroit that you are talking about. He's still alive, showed up at DCC a couple of times.

That's good to hear. He was always a cool cat and he and I spent MANY a nights hangin. He gotta be 80ish or better now?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The original for this table (if it is a GC I) was defiantly not BRUNSTONE. BRUNSTONE was not used until 1981. So says Brunswick. It's well documented. Many table mechanics seem ignorant of this. But if you Google it, you will find documentation of Brunswick's first commercial use of the word BRUNSTONE.
Furthermore, it's all caps, just the way Brunswick used the caps. Not Brunstone or brunstone.
Good Googling.
CORRECTION
Brunswick did use the lowercase spelling Brunstone here
http://brunswick.pastperfectonline.com/library/29685370-7B87-4C10-830F-257455965183

But all documents that Brunswick submitted to the United States Patent and Trademark Office were in all caps. The fact that Brunswick did not follow through on their trademark protection for the name BRUNSTONE does not alter the fact that Brunswick created the name for their resin impregnated sandstone.
Dave
Read this Brunswick document, read that brunstone was avaliable on the early GC3....dated when?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 521

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Most respectfully,
Dave

EDIT: Disregard, I see Glen answered it above. :wink:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Most respectfully,
Dave

Looking at the chart I posted clearly saying by Brunswick that the early GC3 came with Brunstone in 1976....but YOU claim it wasn't made until 1981....what happened there buddy?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Nope, I looked at it....it's brunstone. I would challenge anyone to post pictures of any GC1 or 2 with real slate on the table...factory supplied real slate that is, meaning it came with the table.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Glen. You stated in the past that the short excrusions were on later GC 1 and the long ones were earlier. Is this still true?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
my 1961, GC1. :smile:

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• slate-leveler-cards.jpg
    slate-leveler-cards.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 403
  • Glen-signed-slate.jpg