Oscar Dominguez in UK tabloids, not good.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they all forgot they were mic'd up. Some of the language has been horrible. Thorpe dropping the f bomb constantly & talking about dick pics being sent on Twitter.

They forget & it's understandable. They are most likely trying to make themselves comfortable & relaxed in a tense situation with all the pressure, very understandable IMO.

People are so easily hurt these days by words in competition, it's astounding how anyone survived beforehand.

Say what? First I seen that comment.. Got a link?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have mixed feelings about this incident.

Pool has made it into the mainstream media....:happydance:

On the other hand, the Sun is a #%@& rag....:barf:

Oscar Dominguez is one of the finest people in the pool world....:bow-down:

On the other hand, the PC crowd is jumping on anything like a dog on a bone...:bash:

OSCAR DOMINGUEZ FOR PREZ

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
This guy used to be a very composed and decent fellow, it saddens me to see him going that clownish route. Not only of what he said, but even his behavior during that match against Ralf was completely out of line. I think the USA team has reached the bottom of the barrel!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real crime here is that these players are mic'd up with out a delay. It ridiculous that Matchroom puts them in this position to begin with. Are they not supposed to be able to blow there nose or clear their throats. It's a very strange way to do a production if you ask me. But these guys on both teams are being put through the meat grinder for pennies anyway in the big scheme of things. I would probably accidently cut my mic off.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Dennis said "Perfect" sarcastically laughing at himself. Oscar replied all in fun!

"Touch of a R$#W#T" Implies no touch at all.

just the fact that you didn't feel comfortable to type the word rapist is telling about how some could be sensitive to Oscar's remark.

I think everyone should be more concerned with all of the f-bombs that are being dropped and, btw, I don't recall hearing any coming from the Euros mouths; just Team USA.

imo, Oscar made a bad decision on word choice given that he was wearing a mic especially with an international audience listening but at the end of the day, to me, it seemed like a funny way for Oscar to get Dennis to relax a little after an obviously way-too-heavy hit. But still, a poor choice. And, yes, I think Oscar's track record for being one of the nicest guys in pool should be considered along side of this.

As for the other allegation that DH may have said "Kraut" in referring to Ralf. I'm going to say that I sure hope this isn't true for all of the obvious reasons and that it was "crowd" that was being said, instead.

Now, back to focusing on how America will come back from 10-4. :)

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole world has gone crazy over "being offended".
They can take away the mikes from the players....someone will STILL find something to be offended about.
Football players say a lot worse than this out there on the field...few people hear it though. Thus no hoop-la about it.
I remember getting a tryout with the Chattanooga Lookouts in the old Southern league when I was a 16 year old teenager.
There was an old drunkard, has-been, down from the Dodgers pitching batting practice to us kids.
The language he used toward us was unreal....."You little ****sucker, get back home to your mammy's t**s. I'll teach your Mother****** ass what pro ball is about...this one's coming right at your head, you busher bastard". (and those were some of the nicer things). "Here comes my low and away, you little sonova*****..let's see you hit this one".
We didn't go whining to Joe Engel, or the newspapers, or the other players. We just sucked it up and tried to get a job playing pro baseball.
When you're playing for money.............it's reality time. Otherwise, stick to the leagues where it's all just in fun. (although some of those people go berserk at times)
Just my opinions and nothing more. Critique at will......I don't get "offended".
:thumbup:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think some are missing the point. I got no issue with that word or what people say in a pool room setting. Yes, seeing shane say that he was gonna Horse**** an opponent was funny, but it was in the setting of a gambling match and was catered to that audience. Not an international audience. Saying they forgot they were mic'd is a copout. You know your mic'd.

Wrong! I've spent a lot of time mic'd but it's been once(for a few days) every 6 months or year and sometimes longer - you 100% forget that you're mic'd.

The only people saying you don't forget have either never been mic'd or were in a very calm environment.

It was a joke and it was funny, grow up everybody.
Jason

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
apologize and move on

This reminds me of Al Michaels' joke about Harvey Weinstein a few weeks ago on Sunday Night Football. Under different circumstances it would have been funny, but the timing was bad. He apologized to anyone that found it offensive, and the world moved on.

Apologizing doesn't mean you admit to being a terrible person. It just means you acknowledge making a mistake and want to move forward.

Suggestion for future events - stream it on a slight delay (30 sec to a minute), so maybe someone can blip out the naughty bits.

A guy I used to play one pocket with used to say he had the "touch of a blacksmith" when he hit a bad shot. He wasn't very good, so he'd say it a lot. I'm glad he never said "touch of a rapist" because that would be creepy, but I'd still understand what he was trying to say.

JC

Coos Cues
I was in the booth when he said it and was shocked. I've never heard that phrase anywhere before and just didn't get it. Jimmy quickly apologized for Oscar but that wasn't enough to make anyone forget about it. Our producer and director were not happy to say the least. It was a poor choice of words by a very good guy.

Touch of a rapist is akin to a bull in a china shop.

If this offends you then you might just be a liberal.

Very sad Jay that you are groveling.

No one owes anyone an apology over this.

JC

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
This guy used to be a very composed and decent fellow, it saddens me to see him going that clownish route. Not only of what he said, but even his behavior during that match against Ralf was completely out of line. I think the USA team has reached the bottom of the barrel!

The only clowns are the pc idiots with their undies in a bundle over something so benign.

Of course Great Britain is offended. Everyone can't be a good example. Some must serve as a strong warning. Let these fools serve as an example for America what not to become as a nation.

JC

JC

Coos Cues
I have a set. It wasn’t funny. I have a great sense of humour. But rape in any context - there’s nothing funny about it. Anyone that thinks it is...needs to vacate the human race, let alone the pool hall.

Grow up, it's a harsh world out there. Morality will never be legislated.

JC

Hale1337

This is such a non issue in my mind. I have heard nothing about Oscar other than what a great person he is. A real class act in the world of pool. His comment was not endorsing rape; He wasn't calling anyone a rapist; He was merely trying to speak to someone while in an extremely stressful situation. Now I don't know Dennis but I'm climbing out on a limb to assume or guess that his personality is a little more rough around the edges. I see Oscar reaching out to a teammate while forgetting the stage that he's on. For him in that moment he might just have been "in Las Vegas at another competition in the pool world where there is no media attention that has you mic'd up for a match." My guess is they don't have much experience with that. These players don't have the public figure conditioning like players do in the NBA or NFL or MLB. I take it as an unfortunate mistake from a role model in the pool community. He should apologize and we should all forgive and be happy he's on our team.

Last edited:

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only clowns are the pc idiots with their undies in a bundle over something so benign.

Of course Great Britain is offended. Everyone can't be a good example. Some must serve as a strong warning. Let these fools serve as an example for America what not to become as a nation.

JC

Tap tap..........

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Touch in pool = control

So if I say you have the touch of a feather it would be a compliment!

If I say you have the touch of an ax murder! It is a not a compliment!

I believe that the comment was regarding his poor speed control on the previous shot!

Not that Hatch is literally a !!!!!!! Or any endorsement of rape.

That is why it is a big misunderstanding and taken out of context!

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
PLEASE explain the context.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I do not agree with his apology. He shouldn't have issued one.
I listen to Bill Burr's podcast a lot (he is a stand up comedian for those who don't know him) and he has expressed his opinion on peoples apologies after someone got offended.

His point is that if you issue an apology, it is basically you admitting you meant what you said in a malicious way, that's why you apologize, you admit you did something wrong and you are sorry for doing it.

In this case it's obvious that he didn't mean anything in a malicious way and it was a joke. Saying that he won't use that kind of language again implies that "yes, I was being malicious, I won't do that anymore", justifying the offended people.

Instead, he should say "I was making a joke. Jokes aren't reflections of peoples beliefs."

Jesus Christ, you can't make a joke anymore without getting in trouble and have to apologize!
And with that I would like to apologize to anyone I offended saying "jesus christ", I should have been more thoughtful of other people's religion and not implying that my religion is true and theirs is not. I was way out of line saying only Jesus's name and not including other messiahs and gods of other religions.

I was more upset with the announcer(s) repeated apologies, because if you did nothing, then don't apologize for others' behaviors. It's meaningless, imho, and as you say, it admits guilt where there is no guilt.

Jeff Livingston

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though it was poor judgment on Oscar's part, the incident, in context, wasn't horrible. He clearly meant in fun and along the lines of "touch of a blacksmith." I think Oscar will learn from this and we should all move on.

I think there are two objections to the "touch of a rapist" phrase.

First, it is crude to joke about a subject that affects many people deeply and personally. The larger your audience the more likely you are causing pain somewhere. People who succumb to the current fashionable trend of ignoring or being blatantly antagonistic to such concerns are just wrong. Civility is objectively good.

The second concern is more subtle. Consider the blacksmith version. The implication is there is a continuous progression from, say the physical "touch" of a painter or a sculptor to that of a blacksmith pounding metal with a heavy hammer. OK that's fine.

The implication of the "rapist" version is there is a continuous progression from subtle masterful courtship behavior to sexual violence. There isn't. Violence is violence. The "blacksmith" end of the courtship spectrum would be bad pickup lines, not violence...

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I was in the booth when he said it and was shocked. I've never heard that phrase anywhere before and just didn't get it. Jimmy quickly apologized for Oscar but that wasn't enough to make anyone forget about it. Our producer and director were not happy to say the least. It was a poor choice of words by a very good guy.

Oscar's comment doesn't even make sense.
Stupid.