Pagulayan brand chalk - TAOM formula

tomuch23

The 5% difference is the shape I think. I have both and don't see any difference between them. A holder for taom makes it much more comfortable to handle.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I saw Alex in Vegas recently and he had a vendor table. I asked if it was made by Taom and he said yes, but a slightly different formula.
Alex has been promoting his chalk as "different" than Taom since day one. I don't know what chemically based testing those on AZB have done to confirm that it is indeed the 'same' as V10 or Pyro, but if the man trying to make a buck on it says his product is different than a very popular expensive chalk. Then I believe him...

I have yet to try it out myself. I bought 5pcs of V10 a couple of years ago, and I'm only on my 2nd because of a ball return table. That said, I look forward to supporting Alex's product when the time arises.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got Alex’s chalk finally. Never noticed the coincidental lion underneath the V10 until today. Same with the warning for those inclined to snack between shots.

Well, these chalks ARE that good…

IMG_0122.jpeg

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t order a ten pack but I did order a 4 pack in case it is as good as I think it might be. If it is,
I know several folks who’ll want a cube just because of its shape. Anyone ever drop Taom V10
chalk and then search to locate where the darn chalk rolled? And holding a square instead of a
circle when it comes to pool chalk shapes feels so much better and easier to apply with brush
swipes of the chalk. It might not be a good as V10 but if it’s even close, the shape improvement
alone will be worth the switch. Cleanliness is the most important criteria to judge, at least for me.

p.s. Just some FYI, a 10 pack costs $185 plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 37

NobodySpecial

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a thread for new chalk introduced by Alex The Lion. Made in Finland by TAOM, most probably. Let's go!

View attachment 736084

(added an image provided by RickLafayette in other thread)
The guys at the Pagulayan booth at DCC 2024 freely admitted that it was made by Taom, but said that it was a reformulated recipe to make it more grippy that the regular Taom chalks.

I see no difference between this and the Predator Pure chalks, but I DO see a difference between those two brands and the stock Taom stuff.

Absolutely terrific product imo. I wish the cube were just a hair bigger because of the arthritis in my hands, every little bit helps but otherwise I love the stuff and couldn't be more impressed with it's performance. I've only used the green for what that's worth.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely terrific product imo. I wish the cube were just a hair bigger because of the arthritis in my hands, every little bit helps but otherwise I love the stuff and couldn't be more impressed with it's performance. I've only used the green for what that's worth.
this product might be helpfull to you
i like it
i use it to hold alex's chalk
i use konllen's round holder for the taom v10

this product might be helpfull to you
i like it
i use it to hold alex's chalk
i use konllen's round holder for the taom v10
That definitely seems like it would be helpful! Gonna order one. Thank you so much

Reactions: bbb

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chalk arrived today…..it is a winner…..hands down…..just as good as V10, and perhaps, just a little bit better.
Pick up a piece of V10, chalk your cue tip and then the next time, use the Pagulayan square chalk made by Taom.
Taom missed the mark with its round design and maybe this is their version of some unofficial acknowledgement.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32

Flakeandrun

Circular is more bang for buck if you don't drill holes.
I prefer the slightly stouter DJH square Taom, but I'm still way off finishing the v10/snooker and pyro/pool blocks (cylinders? lol) I'm using.
Taom should just make both round and square instead of outsourcing their product for re-branding. Unless this is one way of testing water without really attaching their name to things.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. Taom is not cheap and with round design it will last longer. I like idea of getting most of your chalk. Downside is that when dropped it can roll but that is minor downside compared the longevity for chalk.

Flakeandrun

Yeah. Taom is not cheap and with round design it will last longer. I like idea of getting most of your chalk. Downside is that when dropped it can roll but that is minor downside compared the longevity for chalk.
I am going to see just how far I can roll my Taom later... I don't think it's really running off much further than square block :ROFLMAO:
I think keeping it round also stops bit from breaking off here and there. I've nipped a bit of the sticker shorter, and am chalking from that point around the circle to keep it level. I also like how it's not super dusty, so I just stick it in my pocket without having to worry about residue or colourful fingers.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to see just how far I can roll my Taom later... I don't think it's really running off much further than square block :ROFLMAO:
I think keeping it round also stops bit from breaking off here and there. I've nipped a bit of the sticker shorter, and am chalking from that point around the circle to keep it level. I also like how it's not super dusty, so I just stick it in my pocket without having to worry about residue or colourful fingers.
FYI……the Pagulayan version sure seems like it is V10…….I paid $87 for 2 boxes of chalk ( 2 cubes per box) delivered.
Less than $22.00 per cube. Amazon and eBay sell V10 for $19.99 delivered but there’s sales tax. All in all, both chalks
are basically the same price so it comes down to a debate over whether you prefer a circle or square shape. I’ve used
cube of chalk all my life and I’ve only used Taom round chalk for about a year but that’s long enough to confidently
write the cube shape is preferable to the oval shape. And since I never twist the chalk and instead brush apply it to my
cue’s tips, I know this Taom square chalk will wear evenly just like every other chalk I’ve used. It just comes down to what shape you prefer since the prices are just about identical for V10 and Pagulayan’s equivalent version of Taom chalk.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played today for 4 hrs…….not a chalk mark anywhere on the Measle Cue Ball…….no chalk dust, goes on just as
easy as V10. In fact, maybe a little better since it seemed a wee bit harder but swipes on the cue tip great. And the
square shape is fabulous. we should have videoed our drop test of V10 and Pagulayan chalk. We did 4 drop tests of each chalk and the V10 “absolutely” travelled much further away….one piece rolled almost 2 pool tables away. The cube shape feels better in your hand, IMO and I think will wear more evenly than the dish contour shape of V10 chalk. I bought 4 cubes so I could share with my buddies but now I may not sell any cuz the Pagulayan chalk really does play that nice.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI……the Pagulayan version sure seems like it is V10…….I paid $87 for 2 boxes of chalk ( 2 cubes per box) delivered.
Less than $22.00 per cube. Amazon and eBay sell V10 for $19.99 delivered but there’s sales tax. All in all, both chalks
are basically the same price so it comes down to a debate over whether you prefer a circle or square shape. I’ve used
cube of chalk all my life and I’ve only used Taom round chalk for about a year but that’s long enough to confidently
write the cube shape is preferable to the oval shape. And since I never twist the chalk and instead brush apply it to my
cue’s tips, I know this Taom square chalk will wear evenly just like every other chalk I’ve used. It just comes down to what shape you prefer since the prices are just about identical for V10 and Pagulayan’s equivalent version of Taom chalk.
I’ve adjusted to the round shape. Chasing a cube that occasionally gets away seems worth the V-10’s more even wear factor. BUT, I have noticed it doesn’t seem to last as long as the blue Taom (?). Same with the square version?
Square or round, it still requires your attention to set/place upright on the rail. Lack of attention is how it gets dropped, and either goes rolling (or bouncing ‘helter-skelter’) under the table. Sold on the green color too.