Paypal question

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone sends me money to my paypal account is there anyway I can get screwed?

I know I need to handle money orders and checks for about 7 days, but I have never had an issue with either.

Thanks,
Ken

asiasdad

Banned
Ken_4fun said:
If someone sends me money to my paypal account is there anyway I can get screwed?

I know I need to handle money orders and checks for about 7 days, but I have never had an issue with either.

Thanks,
Ken

If they put it in there with a credit card, you can easily get screwed. The most prolific scam is to put money in the sellers paypal account, and then when the seller provides a tracking number of the item shipped, the "buyer"
then reverses the credit card.

You can easily tell you have a scammer when you get repeated emails DEMANDING that you immediately provide a tracking number.

Please be aware, that even if you pull that money out of your bank account, you can still get charged for it by your bank if the "buyer"
reverses the transaction.

This, and many other reasons is why I refuse Paypal.

www.paypalsucks.com

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
asiasdad said:
If they put it in there with a credit card, you can easily get screwed. The most prolific scam is to put money in the sellers paypal account, and then when the seller provides a tracking number of the item shipped, the "buyer"

You can easily tell you have a scammer when you get repeated emails DEMANDING that you immediately provide a tracking number.

Please be aware, that even if you pull that money out of your bank account, you can still get charged for it by your bank if the "buyer"

www.paypalsucks.com

And not only that, PayPal will FREEZE your account until the matter is resolved, so if you have other cash in there it gets tied up.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Paypal.....

asiasdad said:

www.paypalsucks.com
This is an excellent description of how you can get screwed by Paypal. I'm went through a nightmare with them last year and if there's a way around using Paypal I do it. Sometimes to make a deal work you have to use Paypal, but I try not to when I can.

James

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OneArmed said:
Use CCNow.com

I'm not biased at all because I work there :)

there needs to be better alternitive to paypal for the rare user. ccnow looks great for dealers, but is completly worthless for the average joe that only sells something acouple times a year. this is where paypal strives and why they have such a large marketshare.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whitewolf said:
And not only that, PayPal will FREEZE your account until the matter is resolved, so if you have other cash in there it gets tied up.

That is how i lost my paypal account. Someone reversed the transaction after i withdrew the remaining funds without checking again.. then went back to use it and it had been locked with a -balance. I resolved it and they banned the account permanently.

The guy did pay with a credit card.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
SCCues said:
This is an excellent description of how you can get screwed by Paypal. I'm went through a nightmare with them last year and if there's a way around using Paypal I do it. Sometimes to make a deal work you have to use Paypal, but I try not to when I can.

James

If the guy would search he would see pal pal to be politically correct is got issues.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay ---

I have a cue listed here and on ebay. He has offered to buy it.

Should I just have him send MONEY ORDER. It is a overseas buyer. I have sold a cue to Singapore and it went flawless, but he was also a AZ member. Kylin on AZ, and I would recommend him without hessatation.

Kylin got nervous as it took about 7-10 days for him to get the cue, and I got nervous too as it seemed like a long time. But everything worked out.

HELP guys.

Ken

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
You could have him send Overnight Express mail a postal money order.....before you send the cue.....Make sure you figure out all the actuall postage ahead of time, and that the postal money order is ligit, or whatever money order is ligit...

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's a Pay-o-Pal overseas deal, I would say FORGET IT!

I've had one Pay-o-Pal deal go sour, 3 years ago. The item was paid for through Pay-o-Pal, then the item was shipped. Two days later, before the item is supposed to arrive, the customer calls & cancels verbally. Then the customer reverses Pay-o-Pal & that was that. The goods are gone, no money changed hands & Pay-o-Pal asks me to prove it...

Me & Pay-o-Pal are finito, done, over...

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Ken, my suggestion would be that if buyer is unknown to you, ask for some references on past transactions. If the references are few, unknown, or unverifiable, be skeptical and proceed only with international postal money order. They will obviously take awhile to clear. I've not had any issues with Paypal, knock on wood, but I also try to avoid using it except for little stuff or with somebody I already know. Never use paypal if the address is unconfirmed or name on the account doesn't match whom you are transacting with.

One thing is certainly for sure nowadays and it's unfortunate, if a guy has his sights set on screwing you, he will. Money orders are easy to fake with today's printers and that's why banks take so long to clear them...same as a personal check. Within the states, USPS m.o. are still pretty safe.

Somebody needs to start a non-partisan registry of bad transactions where things like this have happened (buyers paying, item goes out, then payment gets reversed). Something like that would be nice to refer to...but obviously difficult because of all the he-said/he-said (or she-said) situations.

Sean

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
cueaddicts said:
Ken, my suggestion would be that if buyer is unknown to you, ask for some references on past transactions. If the references are few, unknown, or unverifiable, be skeptical and proceed only with international postal money order. They will obviously take awhile to clear. I've not had any issues with Paypal, knock on wood, but I also try to avoid using it except for little stuff or with somebody I already know. Never use paypal if the address is unconfirmed or name on the account doesn't match whom you are transacting with.

One thing is certainly for sure nowadays and it's unfortunate, if a guy has his sights set on screwing you, he will. Money orders are easy to fake with today's printers and that's why banks take so long to clear them...same as a personal check. Within the states, USPS m.o. are still pretty safe.

Somebody needs to start a non-partisan registry of bad transactions where things like this have happened (buyers paying, item goes out, then payment gets reversed). Something like that would be nice to refer to...but obviously difficult because of all the he-said/he-said (or she-said) situations.

Sean

Western Union-Overseas and in the States. Any questions?

9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
I have a cue listed here and on ebay. He has offered to buy it.

Should I just have him send MONEY ORDER. It is a overseas buyer. I have sold a cue to Singapore and it went flawless, but he was also a AZ member. Kylin on AZ, and I would recommend him without hessatation.

Kylin got nervous as it took about 7-10 days for him to get the cue, and I got nervous too as it seemed like a long time. But everything worked out.

HELP guys.

Ken

KEN DON`T DO IT! I was almost ripped off buy a overseas buyer fthrough pay pal, They want the cue fast , willling to pay whatever in postage and then bam! They file a claim with pay pal and your out the cue and money! I could go on and on but instead look at this site.

www.paypalsucks.com

beopool

Registered
Hello,
I am from EU and always deal with america with bank money transfer. If they dont want to do that then there is a reason. Maybe to screw you. :)
I also dont trust paypal. Except if you trust the guy.
The main problem in money transfer is that the bank take provision about 20-35 usd per transfer.
O.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the latest....

I got the $1600 into my Paypal account, and within minutes I get the email asking for when it will ship.

The address and the name are not the same. The name on the Paypal account is Jill Something, from Boston, this guy is from indonesia. I call paypal and ask about it. While I am on the phone with Paypal, the transation goes on hold, then reverses!

Of course I didnt send the cue. But I did get back to the email and told the guy I had just sent the cue and the Post Office said it would be about 5 days.

I was thinking, it must be a cultural thing. How can these people be so low lifes? I know its bad to wish bad things to people, but damn its tough not to with these guys.

I respect honest people and my friends here. And for that I thank you all.

Ken

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me dude. Thank god you did not send the cue and you came here for advice first just as I did! Ususally when you ask these scammers to send the payment through Western Union or Money Order you will never hear back from them again as they know they cannot scam you through those methods. And yes, that is some low life shit to do to somebody. The world is a cruel place my friend. All we can do is be aware, and ready for it.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Ive had about 100 paypal transactions and have never had the first problem.
Why not just use your paypal mastercard and withdraw the money at an ATM if you are worried about it being a scam, then ship the cue and get all the proper receipts? He might reverse it then and it would leave you with a negative balance, but you have all the documentation and Im sure it would hold up in their investigation or in court for that matter.

Last edited: