Pechauer Pin Type?

Noodle

Registered
So I'm still a little confused.

I have a Pechauer cue with the Pro Joint. I understand that the shaft portion of the joint is a little different than a standard 5/16 x 14 due to the auto alignment. But isn't the butt portion of the joint just a partially threaded 5/16 x 14 pin.

In other words if I wanted to use this shaft on my Pechauer as well as a Jacoby, Schon, Black, or any other 5/16 x 14 cue it should work fine?

http://www.seyberts.com/products/Pr...ilver_Ring_Black_Collar_5/16X14-2337-372.html

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
That shaft will not sit on your Pechauer handle.
It will fit all those other cues but not the Pechauer Pro or the JP series.
Notice the difference in the pin from your link to mine.

http://www.seyberts.com/Predator-314-Shaft-Pechauer

'Your' shaft will get to the top of the blank section of the pin and stop.
The shaft that I've linked to is meant to fit the Pechauer QR pin and may
fit most of the other cues you mentioned depending on their pilot configuration.

HTHs, KJ

PS. That joint diameter is .850/.853".
That may be a consideration on the other cues.

Last edited:

Noodle

Registered
That shaft will not sit on your Pechauer handle.
It will fit all those other cues but not the Pechauer Pro or the JP series.
Notice the difference in the pin from your link to mine.

http://www.seyberts.com/Predator-314-Shaft-Pechauer

'Your' shaft will get to the top of the blank section of the pin and stop.
The shaft that I've linked to is meant to fit the Pechauer QR pin and may
fit most of the other cues you mentioned depending on their pilot configuration.

HTHs, KJ

PS. That joint diameter is .850/.853".
That may be a consideration on the other cues.

Ok so I was basically backwards in my thinking. Mainly what I ultimately want to do is be able to use the 314^2 shaft on my current Pechauer and then if I ever get rid of the Pechauer being able to just sell it instead of trying to find someone who not only specifically wants the cue but also wants the 314 shaft with it.

My next cue will probably be a custom Jim Vest (who can put whatever joint I ask for in), a Schon or Jacoby (I have always liked both) or possibly a Black that would be handed down to me from my father. All use or would use the 5/16 x 14 pin.

Anyway I think I understand what you are saying. The Pechauer has the smooth portion of the pin on the Pro Joint QR that looks just as wide as the outside area of the threaded portion of the pin.

bigpin22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pin

So, simply put:

A pro series pechauer shaft will fit the but of other 5/16-14 pins, however, a normal 5/16-14 shaft will not fit on a Pechauer but???????

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I've done that a number of times with no problems at all. I drill the new shaft out to .500 and two inches deep then bore it using a boring bar to about .530. I then use the butt as a driver with the shaft mounted on the joint so that the shaft turns true. I then cut the old shaft off about two inches in front of the deco-ring. I then turn this two inches of old shaft down to about .530 so that the new shaft is a good fit. You also need to put in three or four slight grooves the length of this tenon for glue release so that there is no hydraulic effect when the shaft and stub are glued together. I always do this as the last project at night as I now glue (using a good slow setting epoxy) the new shaft to the stub of the old shaft while the butt is still in the lathe so that the tip is aligned with the tail-stock and all the excess glue wiped off of the shaft/deco-ring insuring a new straight shaft and butt fit. The next day just turn down to the deco-ring and finish up the shaft as normal.

I use this technique when some one orders a shaft but doesn't leave the butt so that the shaft can be perfectly fitted or when it is a weird deco-ring that would take to long (expensive) to make. I use one of the old cues I have laying around with the same pin to use as a mandrel.

Dick

This is by far the easiest way to do it if the shaft is warped or broken and the pin is a bastard thread.......... I have done it this way several times and it comes out perfect and no one can tell it was ever done.

Kim