Perimeter vs Lite Systems

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moving to a new (to me) house with a 9' table. Need light.

In doing a lot of reading I see lots of recommendations for Perimeter, and some for Lite Systems, but few comments from people who have had or seen both.

I'm considering the Perimeter 9' and the Lite Systems RectanGi (rounded I think).

They seem the same concept, the Perimeter is a lot less expensive ($659 v $995). Lite Systems I think I can tie to my home automation system for diming (0-10v type) the Perimeter is only with its remote (though I could turn it on and off, which is probably adequate if not ideal).

Perimeter is 5500k which to me is a bit blue for a home, I can either get an adjustable one from Lite Systems (for about $120) or order 3000k. This for me is more of a deciding factor so far, though that's a lot to pay for warmer light. But every other light in my house is in the 2500-3300k range.

Anyone have experience with both and care to opine? Reliability? Other factors?

Linwood

PS. If it matters the room is small, just large enough for a 9' without cue's hitting walls, and relatively low ceiling, maybe 7.5' at a guess, or a tad more, with most of the room walls in brick or windows (technically it's a sun room I guess, but reasonably insulated and real windows not louvers or similar).

sbrownn

Registered
I just upgraded all 4 of our tables to 5000K led 23w (about 175w equivalent) bulbs and I think they are perfect:

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 93

Iwishiwasrich

One of my team mates in league just installed a perimeter over his 9 ft table and was saying how much he likes it. I have not seen it personally but he was really excited about it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most tables these days have 5000K and above. I have 6000K over my home table in the form of qty 2 2x4 LED panels. It sounds like this is a separate room, that you won't see from other parts of the house? If so, I wouldn't let the temperature of the other house lighting influence this light.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not that separate really, about 1/3rd of the long wall opens (no door)
pool-area.jpg
to the dining area and kitchen. I plan to put a large wall TV on a wall between dining room and kitchen that faces the pool room, so I can see it if I'm cooking or eating by myself, and it can be the TV if people playing pool want to watch something (the pool room itself could probably have a TV but the walls really are pretty close to the minimum distance and even though a TV would be able cue area, it would make it feel that much closer in - plus who needs TV playing pool!).

So.... long winded way to say that matching color temperature is probably a good thing. While what temperature people like is fairly subjective, I think what most people agree on is that mixing cold and warm is unpleasant.

If this was a wholly separate room I would not worry. Here's a snippet of the overall floor plan. The pink color is the cue sweep area so you can see it is like it was made for it. The bench is a seating bench below cue reach as is the bar.

Anyway... anyone with knowledge of both lighting systems?

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These sure look a lot like the Perimeter lights. Think they're rebranding and selling these at an itty bitty profit?

perimeter light.jpg

Monti

I think most tables these days have 5000K and above. I have 6000K over my home table in the form of qty 2 2x4 LED panels. It sounds like this is a separate room, that you won't see from other parts of the house? If so, I wouldn't let the temperature of the other house lighting influence this light.
I have the same panel set up and it works great. Consistent light all over, fairly well contained over the table and pretty cheap!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, if you’re not set on the perimeter style, 2x4 LED panels are now commodity pricing all over the internet.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
here we go with the mumbo jumbo over a fkn light

lmao its a light
whichever you like more will do

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
If we don't spend our mumbo jumbo on the game we love, what will we spend it on? Which curtains to buy for the house?

i never called money mumbo jumbo
clams
mula
kablinky

light sales dont support the game when you buy from a hardware store or online store

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s two rooms I’ve been too that had grey cloth that the lights made the cloth look golden. A couple of the lights were a different temperature and the cloth did look grey on them. I’d be careful about the temperature, not sure what temp range screwed up the color perception.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, but what about how temps between 4132k and 4876k make the Simonis fuzzy and turn the balls blue?

For clarity are you speaking of the pool balls or....

You guys are starting to make me think of those LED panels. I'm wondering if just sticking 4 of them up on the ceiling (it's only about 7.5') might be as good and MUCH cheaper.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
light sales dont support the game when you buy from a hardware store or online store
I mean, to be completely fair, "the game" has never supported me either. I could give a rats ass about sponsors for the most part. I mean, it's always nice to see that something I already own is sponsoring pool stuff like my JB Case and my Diveney cue. When the sponsors start sponsoring events in my home town I'll be down to buy their wares. Heck I bought my first Diveney cue because they are about an hour away. I'd rather support local than some re-branded crap that Predator sells.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I mean, to be completely fair, "the game" has never supported me either. I could give a rats ass about sponsors for the most part. I mean, it's always nice to see that something I already own is sponsoring pool stuff like my JB Case and my Diveney cue. When the sponsors start sponsoring events in my home town I'll be down to buy their wares. Heck I bought my first Diveney cue because they are about an hour away. I'd rather support local than some re-branded crap that Predator sells.
I don’t give a shit either
You’ve taken my comment out of text