Perimeter vs Lite Systems

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have not seen the Lite Systems version, but I can say that the Perimeter Billiard Light is fantastic. It's bright and clear, and looks great. I've rarely been so satisfied with a purchase.

table2.jpg

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep staring at all this. I took down the ceiling fan that was there in preparation and started measuring; I have to ducts in the way of where I might want panels. I was thinking of three panels in an "H" but they won't fit (at 2x4 panels) around the ducts. Three across (4' direction across short direction of table) might work but they are either packed in the center, or the two outliers hang well over the ends.

So I'm thinking more and more about the Lite Systems (because of the warmer available color temperature and diming). But I really hate paying $1000 for lights! But that may be where I land. Need to do something, that table is disassembled and spread all over the floor waiting for the lights (so I don't have to work over top of it installing).

fuggles

I bought a perimeter light for my table. Couldn't be happier. After talking with the owner of the business I bought mine with color adjustment and dimming. Very glad I got these features. The perimeter light provides much better light than any rectangles unless the rectangle is larger than the table surface which is the whole point of the perimeter light. It is larger than the table. Quality LEDs aren't cheap. So yea the price is tough on the wallet. But I wrote the check and don't think about it any more.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played under perimeter lights and qty 2: 2x4 LED's end to end. I don't understand how anyone can say the perimeter lights are better. If you add up all the surface area of the 2x4 lights, it's got to be higher. Plus, it's over the bed of the table. The perimeter light is over the rail, so half of the light will end up on the table, and the other half on the floor. The perimeter light doesn't make sense to me, except for it allows several cameras overhead, and it looks cool.

That's my opinion:)

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the 2x4 LED's came out about 10-15 years ago, some of the entrepreneuring pool table specific people were selling them for $400 a panel. It was the bare panel, nothing pool specific about it. The same panels were 1/4th the price on Amazon. Now they are even cheaper as they are all commodity.

I think if someone wanted a perimeter style light, they can get shop light style LED's from Amazon. A pack of 10 is about $150. Then attach them in a perimeter, and add a diffuser. Can probably make the whole system for $200 range.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I bought these for my shop a few months ago. Qty 10 8' long "strip" LED's for $170. They can all attach end to end daisychained. They also sell them in shorter versions. You can buy the shorter ones for the end rails, and the longer ones for the long rails, and screw them to a board. 100% they need a diffuser, or you will go blind. I actually don't like them for my shop because of that, and I haven't gotten around to making a diffuser. They should have come with one, IMO.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you trying to light the whole room or just the pool table?
This is the 40 year old light I made. The 8' flourescent fixture met its better days so from Lowes I purchased a 2x2 replacement LED panel. It is perfect for my table/room.
Since your ceiling is lower and room is smaller, you may want a smaller box and adjust the height of the box to keep direct light from shining in your eyes when shooting.

Attachments

• 20240506_133137.jpg
    20240506_133137.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 26

fuggles

I've played under perimeter lights and qty 2: 2x4 LED's end to end. I don't understand how anyone can say the perimeter lights are better. If you add up all the surface area of the 2x4 lights, it's got to be higher. Plus, it's over the bed of the table. The perimeter light is over the rail, so half of the light will end up on the table, and the other half on the floor. The perimeter light doesn't make sense to me, except for it allows several cameras overhead, and it looks cool.

That's my opinion:)
As I said, I've played on more types of lights than I can count. Including those you mention. And I don't understand your opinion. ;)

And btw, the surface area of the 2x4 has nothing to do with the amount of light it produces. LEDs don't work that way. Also the quality of the LEDs matter a lot.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said, I've played on more types of lights than I can count. Including those you mention. And I don't understand your opinion. ;)

And btw, the surface area of the 2x4 has nothing to do with the amount of light it produces. LEDs don't work that way. Also the quality of the LEDs matter a lot.
I guarantee the raw LED's (the diodes) are the same.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open your 2x4 panel and see if the leds look like this?
The light emitting diodes are the same, (lighting) industry wide. There are several off-the-shelf ones to choose from. Which ones are selected, and how they are arranged on the PCB is up to the electrical engineer. No EE placing them on a PCB is going to reinvent the wheel and design a new LED (the individual diode). That's what I was referring to. You made it sound like there is a fundamental quality difference between the individual LED's, and only the Perimeter light has the "good" ones.

shooter_Hans

This is the 40 year old light I made. The 8' flourescent fixture met its better days so from Lowes I purchased a 2x2 replacement LED panel. It is perfect for my table/room.
Since your ceiling is lower and room is smaller, you may want a smaller box and adjust the height of the box to keep direct light from shining in your eyes when shooting.
Nice room. Looks inviting.

fuggles

The light emitting diodes are the same, (lighting) industry wide. There are several off-the-shelf ones to choose from. Which ones are selected, and how they are arranged on the PCB is up to the electrical engineer. No EE placing them on a PCB is going to reinvent the wheel and design a new LED (the individual diode). That's what I was referring to. You made it sound like there is a fundamental quality difference between the individual LED's, and only the Perimeter light has the "good" ones.
They are different. Here is a good read for you.

fuggles

I was an electrical engineer for 25 years. Recently retired. There are electrical engineers that design LEDs and there are electrical engineers that design boards for them. And there are significant quality differences in the LEDs and the power supplies that power them. So yea I said there is a quality difference in LEDs. And the panels that are made of LEDs. And there is.

Last edited:

George the Greek

I’m surprised none of you guys have a Tiffany Lamp. There are some beautiful home rooms and I’ve seen a couple of them.

They are like the holy grail of lights. Stained glass. Equivalent to a fancy custom cue.

I like the looks of Tiffanys but they're outrageous in price even scouring used ones on marketplace here. I opted for the 4 pot light with LEDS and that was still $400 CDN