Philippine Cues

theredfury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice read ron! i am always interested in more information about PHI cues.

in my book one of the best cuemakers is master linds. :smile:
not sure if he still makes cues, but i saw some tables lately...

any more information about nimrod cues?
i was able to play the old cue made for carlo and it played very well.
i think he's located in QC.

thanks & best regards

hi ralphe...

i could still add some more if i get permission to do so...many are still unlisted there and indeed linds was a very good source of cues...mackoy mangolare and allan used to be there with him...now i only know of mackoys cousin...is stilll with linds...i can ask about nimrod and ill let you know...

regards
ron

theredfury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this info Ron. It took me some time but I finally found a good playing cue made by Bebot. I keep it over there so I don't have to carry one on the plane. There are definitely good cues to be found over there and the prices are quite reasonable. I paid 10,000p (about $240) for my cue and am very happy with it.

The one problem I've seen there is finding good shaft wood. We are fortunate here to have Canadian maple readily available to us. I'm not sure where you get your shaft wood (Indonesia?) but some cue makers are using some low grade stuff from what I've seen. As you know a good shaft is just as important as a well made butt. Thanks again

hi jay...

the costs of the cues here vary depending on the obvious reasons like materials...design...etc etc...and yes the shafts are equally as important as the butt and still some of the cuemakers in pampanga use low quality local wood such as mangachupoy as called here...

other shops here like us has some old maple shafts purchased, turned down and hanged since 5 yrs ago...while others import from there (USA) and there is a supplier here of canadian maple that is FORMAPLY they supply a vast variety of imported wood since they are involved in various construction projects here in the Philippines...

the low quality shafts come from low quality shops and low quality inspection done by the shop managers or owners...with these poor quality control practices you find that cues, butt or shafts warp overtime when brought abroad...but still you hear and read here about cues that are still perfect and straight as an arrow description...now that's great to hear...

thanks and regards

ron

for any inquiries about the Philippines and its gems dont hesitate to send me a message id gladly try to answer all the queries..

thanks to all

ClownFish

Banned
thanks for all the info redfury

can you suggest a good philippine cue maker who makes cues with wooden joint pins??

theredfury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi clown...

with the wooden joint pins i would suggest makers that has the right equipment to do the job...i know of tony bautista, linds and us having lathe machines to do the threading of the wood...with the others i haven't seen their machines so the above mentioned i could suggest...

regards sir
ron

blackpearlmaker

Caliper User......
Silver Member
Additional info, Nimrod Ceniza works and learn his cuemaking for 2 to 3 years in my shop and after that decided to start his own shop located in Quezon City. Another cuemaker as well from Pampanga is Bong Nicdao or " Jobo cues" located in Olongapo.

As far as shafts problem, Philippines are not a rich maple country, those cues with poor shaft quality are results of poor quality control of the makers, or just making cues for money without realizing the every details of it, just like making cues and then sell and dont care what will happen next. cues are made of woods, and woods are subject to warp but it can be preventive in proper procedures and no shortcut. lots of things really need to consider..

With regards to threading, not a problem using a proper machine and also a skill. as for wood joint pins, i have not seen one here made by any pinoy cuemaker, because most of pinoy billiards enthusiast scared on that type of joint set up, they are confident mostly in shafts with brass and 5/16 pins, radials and other big pins are also getting popular here, those people that are already educated on cues.

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
nice read ron! i am always interested in more information about PHI cues.

in my book one of the best cuemakers is master linds. :smile:
not sure if he still makes cues, but i saw some tables lately...

any more information about nimrod cues?
i was able to play the old cue made for carlo and it played very well.
i think he's located in QC.

thanks & best regards

im just around the corner awaiting for switzy treats... not that active but cant let go! (exclusive to friends/doing 1-at-a-time project) due to poolpolitics that ended ER life and almost mine/still on recovery, most of our seasoned apprentice now own their own or moved elsewhere for safety/financial considerations.
PI cue info>>>
my late mentor "jessie bundalian(+)" and I originated from San Fernando capital city of Pampanga (16km south of angeles city/clark, 35km from olongapo/subic bay) during 60's they provided housecues for the billiard industry since the "puyats' are from adjacent town of Guagua then the vietnam war jess oldman ventured to custombuilding since there was a vacum/ from air-rifles they converted a handlathe to cuelathe providing US GI recreational players "souvener" cues /not that fancy back then since the market/demand was for such...then 80's came as pool develops many phil pro that era spent hours at their shop customizing every detail. including dyango,efren/ and company on a jeep most often with a case of san miguel beer...
i was in gradeschool then...on sparetime be helping on repairs and eventually learned the craft on my own initiative+ the pointers from jess/ fyi. my oldman(+) owned/operates 3 halls and rentals all over the province making the bundalians as business allies.
santos's in guagua/bulacan started as agents for the late ben cabron, also of SFP and alex belvis (now in US) while mario,back tamaraw, ralph de guzman, milo started as reseller at fields avenue. jake/teddy santos also a efren's cm now in laguna province.
in greater manila known cm also started as agents like: ernesto meneses(+)qc, edgar reyes(+)malabon. most CMs nowdays matured and develop a respect to one another due to the events that transpired... the "pampanga" makers are leveling-up in more ways than the other...its a matter of time, and the market that they cater "entry level/beginer" is evolving... "you always get what you pay for" don't expect much from a $70-150 and compare to $400up cue unless padded by an agent? till next...

ralphe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks master linds, im glad your still around:smile:
might stop bye to say hello and check on you on my next PI stay... hihi
Ingat palagi.!
maraming salamat,
Ralph

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im just around the corner awaiting for switzy treats... not that active but cant let go! (exclusive to friends/doing 1-at-a-time project) due to poolpolitics that ended ER life and almost mine/still on recovery, most of our seasoned apprentice now own their own or moved elsewhere for safety/financial considerations.

Was anybody ever arrested for that?

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this info Ron. It took me some time but I finally found a good playing cue made by Bebot. I keep it over there so I don't have to carry one on the plane. There are definitely good cues to be found over there and the prices are quite reasonable. I paid 10,000p (about $240) for my cue and am very happy with it.

The one problem I've seen there is finding good shaft wood. We are fortunate here to have Canadian maple readily available to us. I'm not sure where you get your shaft wood (Indonesia?) but some cue makers are using some low grade stuff from what I've seen. As you know a good shaft is just as important as a well made butt. Thanks again

Jay

are you refering to the cue that you got from me or another cue off course?
i dont think it is a Bebot, it is a Tony Bautista that you got from me that Dgem is keeping for you, not unless you already chnage it :)

Joyren

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
thanks master linds, im glad your still around:smile:
might stop bye to say hello and check on you on my next PI stay... hihi
Ingat palagi.!
maraming salamat,
Ralph

K!you must be proficient in filipino by now? :thumbup: