Pia Filler Makes History as First (and only) Female Pro on WNT

Flakeandrun

We can have a 50 page debate on male vs female and how it relates to sports and the "why". But "today" women are nowhere near the men as a group.
My point was not discussing all sports, and physiology plays a part in some sports more than others. But relating to pool, such discussions are laughable. The divide exists because of a huge variety of factors, a lot of them are existing outside of the world of pool and are just part of living on planet earth, and the systems we have found ourselves a part of.
If there was not a separate women's division for professional pool (or about any other sport under the sun), the women would be completely forgotten. Do we watch the 100th ranked male when in a tournament? No, unless we know that male personally. We only like to watch the top 16 male pros. We might still watch a male vs female match, but that will be solely due to the battle of the sexes. Not on the playing ability of the women as a sole criteria.
I agree with you, Isn't that a sad reality?
If there were one division in pro pool for men and women combined, the women would not be the stars they are today. They would not have their recognition. They would have almost zero prize money. The same would be true in just about any sport.
Again, isn't that a sad reality?
I'm not debating "why" this is. Just stating that right now, today, this "is" the way it is.
Agree with you. It is not like some normal equal pay - equal opportunities debate. We are not talking about CEOs sat behind a desk delegating tasks, or crunching numbers (although I would argue that STEM opportunities, and a wide variety of others, suffer from a similar issue... pre-conceived attitudes impacting aspiration, opportunity and deliverance of equality)

There are so many deeply ingrained societal attitudes that need to change. Women cannot simply be handpicked from a select few and told 'here you go'... It's like giving a dwarf and an adult male the same bike in a 1km race and calling that 'equality'... We must strive for equity, affording young people (regardless of sex, race, religion, economic background etc.) the same, perception free opportunity at a 'grass roots' level. Sport is impacted by so many external factors. Those people who don't really know how to explain or justify those factors start talking bollocks about 'fast-twitch muscle fibres' and the genetic make up of the eye yada yada yada.

The equity that is needed doesn't exist in any sport, and some make more or less effort to obtain it (sadly usually based on financial interest/gain).

So... these generational stereotypes, fabricated perceptions and afforded opportunities to a select few (which are almost token gestures), will be in place for many years to come... the only way to defy them is to build equity. In attitudes and opportunities to perform. Removing any and all bias. To the point where even unconscious gender bias is filtered from perception of the game. Giving the very youngest an opportunity to take up the game we love without all the preconceived nonsense that currently exists.

I do totally agree with you about your initial point.
"Do we watch the 100th ranked male when in a tournament? No, unless we know that male personally. We only like to watch the top 16 male pros. We might still watch a male vs female match, but that will be solely due to the battle of the sexes. Not on the playing ability of the women as a sole criteria."

And I think that is a sad reflection on the state of the game we like to play. A game that, let's face it, is not hindered by sex at all. But by the attitudes of those taking part in it... on a corporate, competitive and social level.

Thanks for voicing your thoughts in a non-trogolodyte manner that is relevant, and facilitates further discussion. Know that's difficult for some people here 🤣

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

So...people with different opinions of yours are cavemen? Is that what your saying???
Don't be so silly, you sound like a Maniac 😉 That is not something I have mentioned once... I have clearly described some thoughts on the matter at hand, and in reply to another poster who I respect here.
I have no issue at all with different opinions. Variety is the spice of life. Love open and respectful discussion. Unfounded, baseless stupidity (which tends to pop on such threads often here... an action in itself outlining one of the more prominent points I actually discussed) I tend to have an issue with...
But anyway, if that's your opinion of my thoughts, so be it :) This is a public online forum, and if that's what gets you hard, and that's really how you like to feel inside. Then sure. Why not? Boo your nasty sexist opinion lol

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can have a 50 page debate on male vs female and how it relates to sports and the "why". But "today" women are nowhere near the men as a group. If there was not a separate women's division for professional pool (or about any other sport under the sun), the women would be completely forgotten. Do we watch the 100th ranked male when in a tournament? No, unless we know that male personally. We only like to watch the top 16 male pros. We might still watch a male vs female match, but that will be solely due to the battle of the sexes. Not on the playing ability of the women as a sole criteria.

If there were one division in pro pool for men and women combined, the women would not be the stars they are today. They would not have their recognition. They would have almost zero prize money. The same would be true in just about any sport.

I'm not debating "why" this is. Just stating that right now, today, this "is" the way it is.
I disagree. I'm getting awfully tired of seeing the same guys play against each other all the time. I'd always prefer to watch a match with the 700-750 speed players, especially if they were playing a champion. I couldn't get into that PLP they had, but that Louisiana shootout was awesome to watch! We need variety.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well good for you, here’s your Social Justice Warrior merit badge. You can exchange it at any SJW location for a free pronoun and a hair dye job in pink or blue, your choice. Enjoy View attachment 756306
Guys like you are some of the biggest hypocrites around. You swear to stand for individual freedom and rights. Like a private business appointing whoever they choose to their tournament.

But if it’s a woman or god forbid an lgtbq person your principles and convictions become flexible.

Your moral compass and integrity cease the moment you don’t like something. You’re not guided by ethics. You’re guided by intolerance.

There’s a reason the billiard world isn’t generating a youth movement like generations past.

It’s because of people like you. No one likes crusty old gatekeepers.

Thankfully these current organizations are working to make the community a more welcoming and inviting place for all people.

Imaging being so weak minded that hair dye and preferred names get to you. Colonel? I guess that’s your real name not a preferred name for this community.

JABSolstice

Guys like you are some of the biggest hypocrites around. You swear to stand for individual freedom and rights. Like a private business appointing whoever they choose to their tournament.

But if it’s a woman or god forbid an lgtbq person your principles and convictions become flexible.
I won't speak to his moral compass, or the rest of this post, but this part I disagree with. Was the SJW badge a bit much? Yeah, probably.

But...him saying that they made a bad decision is not the same as saying they shouldn't be allowed to add Pia because she is a woman. He is not trying to limit who can be added by Matchroom. He is simply stating that they made a bad choice, in his opinion.

Lumping people together in the way that you do, is also extremely hypocritical.

-All in my own opinion, anyway.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't speak to his moral compass, or the rest of this post, but this part I disagree with. Was the SJW badge a bit much? Yeah, probably.

But...him saying that they made a bad decision is not the same as saying they shouldn't be allowed to add Pia because she is a woman. He is not trying to limit who can be added by Matchroom. He is simply stating that they made a bad choice, in his opinion.

Lumping people together in the way that you do, is also extremely hypocritical.

-All in my own opinion, anyway.
He referred to her as a Token. Says all we need to know about him.

Atorontopoolplayer

So something I think is perhaps being ignored here, is we do not know if other women (perhaps higher ranked from a Fargo perspective) turned this down already,

Also, it's difficult currently to afford the travel/ entries e.t.c to be a full time tour player, and having this last slot go to someone who will have a guaranteed travel partner to every event might make it easier

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets establish something. This is supposed to be 128 of the best players in the world. Pia Filler is not remotely close to the being the best female player much less one of the best 128 players. Achievement in the world used to be based on merit, her “appointment” to this tour clearly isn’t based on merit, pointing that out is not misogyny, it’s just a clear observation of facts. Regarding “homophobia”, the word phobia indicates a fear of something. I have no “fear”, I’m revulsed by it, there’s a difference.
MR is selling a product. They're free to chose whomever they feel would best sell/market their product. For every person like you who vehemently dislikes this decision, there are probably 10 (or much more) who applaud it. So MR can't care any less about what you think provided your feelings don't hurt their bottom line. That's capitalism.

jbart65

Maybe Pia is a token selection, maybe not. Maybe she is good enough, maybe not. Maybe she is ...

Whatever. Every sports league in the world has resorted to gimmicks, tricks, publicity stunts, abrupt rule changes and whatnot to boost support over time.

Maybe that is the case here, maybe not. But if so, so what? Pia is the 128th player on the WNT. It's like worrying about the last player in the NFL draft.

I am not worried about the reputation of pro pool taking a hit.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most everyone loves rooting for the underdog. Could make for a more interesting and watched match. Not only that but I would think it actually puts more pressure on the top men playing her. Nothing worse than playing someone you're expected to beat. Not sure about the pros, but personally I always am more relaxed playing someone better than myself.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And this related YouTube short seems to be about someone who slipped into 11th gear.