Play the table not the player

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
depends on the situation.. If im in apa and I’m playing a bad player 8 ball and lets say I didn’t get that last ball that was in trouble opened up. I’m going to shoot a shot to get that ball in the open near a pocket more than I’m worried about playing safe. I don’t want them to shoot 2 or 3 balls . Miss and I still don’t have a shot. The more you do that the closer they get to being able to get out when they get to the table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dead wrong IMO.

If you are playing a much weaker player, and have a hard shot on the 9, you play safe. Win the safety battle, and win the game. That same scenario vs a much stronger player, you shoot the 9.

That's 9 ball.

One pocket is like that to an even higher degree, on pretty much every single shot.

The only time playing the table is the only thing that matters is when you are playing the 9 ball ghost.

Justaneng

Registered
Play the situation? For a couple of complete players with a full toolbox that means playing the table always.

In the lower ranks, and especially in handicapped leagues, your opponent definitely plays a role. If I’m playing APA 8-ball against an SL-3 with 6 balls left on the table I’m taking zero risks on the 8-ball, which usually takes the form of being very wary of thin cuts where the cue ball is going to travel a fair bit. Against someone that can run out coming off of my one risk I gotta go for it.

Other tactics, such as intentionally fouling, also depend on what you think your opponent can do.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In terms of maintaining focus, there's some value in thinking "play the table, not the opponent" but the adage is ultimately in error. Here's is an adaptation of a previous post of mine on the subject.

"Play the table, not the opponent" is on the short list of the most illogical sayings in the game. Though somewhat more obvious at amateur level where more flaws are found, it's critical to play the opponent even at pro level.

For example, when you push out or play safe:

a) the bank you can leave many an opponent may not be something you are willing to leave Skyler Woodward, Dennis Orcullo or Billy Thorpe
b) the jump shot you can leave many an opponent might not be something you want to leave for Fedor Gorst, Albin Ouschan, Ko Pin Yi or Jayson Shaw
c) the safety you are willing to leave available for many may not be one you can afford to leave for an Alex Pagulayan or a Justin Bergman
d) the kick you are willing to leave for many may not be one you can afford to leave for a Francisco Bustamante or Dennis Orcullo
e) the shot you are willing to leave many an opponent might not be something you can afford to leave for SVB, Kaci, Ko Ping Chung, Gorst, Shaw or Filler

Knowing your opponent's strengths and weaknesses will be a big advantage when you choose between offense and defense and also in choosing the right shot for a given situation.

In other words, you need to play both the table and the opponent if you are committed to playing the percentages. The real opponent is ... both! Especially when you play a push out, if you don't play the opponent, you are not doing your homework in shot planning.

Last edited:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone is constantly leaving you safe and beating you then you need to practice your safety play. Lock him up so he can’t play safe then lock him again,. Getting out of lockup doesn’t only mean to make a good hit on your ball but also make it hard for him to return a safe. If you are in control of the table you should be making balls and then locking him up if you have a low percentage shot. Don’t be giving him the lead and then always playing catch-up. Practicing (good) safes is boring as hell but it sure beats losing

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Lots of variables. Take them into account, then play the shot in front of you.

Reactions: sjm

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This will help you understand so much more than you can even imagine about your very question, way more than you can even imagine.
posm.jpg

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've put about 7 seconds into this reply and I gotta say, all these poolisms - they are just variables in complex "quadratic" equations.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stu saved most of my typing. I am always playing the table to some degree. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. The other player is my primary focus though. A few years back I was happy to see a jump cue. About nine out of ten players were going to do themselves more harm than good with one. No longer the story although I might tease players into a low percentage jump shot. I try to watch what the player is making or missing. If somebody makes an ugly face when they see what I left them I note that even if it is just flashing moment. I do remember that I practiced making faces for just such occasions though. Got to watch out for old and sneaky, they are often very familiar with the lessons in Br Rabbit and the Briar Patch!

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu saved most of my typing. I am always playing the table to some degree. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. The other player is my primary focus though. A few years back I was happy to see a jump cue. About nine out of ten players were going to do themselves more harm than good with one. No longer the story although I might tease players into a low percentage jump shot. I try to watch what the player is making or missing. If somebody makes an ugly face when they see what I left them I note that even if it is just flashing moment. I do remember that I practiced making faces for just such occasions though. Got to watch out for old and sneaky, they are often very familiar with the lessons in Br Rabbit and the Briar Patch!

Hu
Sneaky old veteran!

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
If someone is constantly leaving you safe and beating you then you need to practice your safety play. Lock him up so he can’t play safe then lock him again,. Getting out of lockup doesn’t only mean to make a good hit on your ball but also make it hard for him to return a safe. If you are in control of the table you should be making balls and then locking him up if you have a low percentage shot. Don’t be giving him the lead and then always playing catch-up. Practicing (good) safes is boring as hell but it sure beats losing
That’s great advice. I see way too many people that are pretty good not having a clue how to kick safe. It bothers me, but not when we are playing.

Last edited: