Playin with Headphones

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else find it hard to play nowdays with the really loud crap music most pool rooms or bars have on? It gives me a headache in no time. does anyone play in headphones listening to what they consider good music? Sorry but just can't deal with real loud rap and very heavy metal music.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting you bring up headphones.

I own several pair of professional headphones. I have always been loyal to the Sony brand.

I did recently buy a pair of Bose over-the-ear headphones, but I still like my Sonys better for audio quality, though the Bose are lightweight and more comfortable when wearing for long durations.

A few weeks ago, I went to Radio Shack to get a digital audio player, so that I could play a hymn at a funeral for the audience to sing to. While I was there, the sales clerk, a young corpulent guy named Jose, picked up a set of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones and held them close to his heart. He said, "I'm saving up to get a pair of these. I can hear music so well, so much better. I can actually hear a singer take a breath between words."

Well, that was all I needed to hear. I bought a pair of these for $175. I did not want the $300 ones because I heard they break easy, plus they need batteries for the noise-cancelling feature. Those wouldn't serve my purpose well.

The $175 Beats are absolutely *the* best headphones I have ever had the pleasure to use. I can't say enough good things about them.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND, if you want to wear headphones while playing pool. Worth every single penny! :cool:

Attachments

• beatssolo[1].jpg
    beatssolo[1].jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 788

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
for this same reason plus the horrific weds night karaoke, i just bought an ipod shuffle.

it's finally loaded with music that I enjoy and should, hopefully, cancel out the bad jukeboxes and american idol wannabes who regularly appear. ;)

best,
brian kc

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
man, am i with you on this one. i'm a former fulltime musician, now a sound engineer, and i can't stand the crappy music and quality of sound in the rooms i go to. i especially don't appreciate the misogynistic bullshit when i take a girl there. way to screw up the mood, guys.

if you want to try listening to other music to cover, check out Etymotic earbuds. passive noise reduction, they do a better job than active reduction in this case. also great sounding -- as in The Most realistic -- buds. i use them on the job to work next to loud stage monitors, check the front-of-house mix while i'm next to the stage, and to position mics in the studio. you can get them on Amazon for around $175, worth every penny.

however, i don't like trying to shoot with wires trailing from my pocket to my ears. Etymotic also sell a much cheaper set of earplugs, which don't reduce ambient noise nearly as much, but make it easier to play, and possible to carry on a conversation. these cost $11 on Amazon, and are easier to use than foam plugs. so these are what i actually use, and they reduce the volume to a reasonable level.

doesn't do anything about the quality of the music, but makes it bearable.

but then last night at my local room, somebody played some Coltrane! so the other approach is to get to the box first and load it up with good music.

paulempor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting you bring up headphones.

I own several pair of professional headphones. I have always been loyal to the Sony brand.

I did recently buy a pair of Bose over-the-ear headphones, but I still like my Sonys better for audio quality, though the Bose are lightweight and more comfortable when wearing for long durations.

A few weeks ago, I went to Radio Shack to get a digital audio player, so that I could play a hymn at a funeral for the audience to sing to. While I was there, the sales clerk, a young corpulent guy named Jose, picked up a set of Beats by Dr. Dre headphones and held them close to his heart. He said, "I'm saving up to get a pair of these. I can hear music so well, so much better. I can actually hear a singer take a breath between words."

Well, that was all I needed to hear. I bought a pair of these for $175. I did not want the $300 ones because I heard they break easy, plus they need batteries for the noise-cancelling feature. Those wouldn't serve my purpose well.

The $175 Beats are absolutely *the* best headphones I have ever had the pleasure to use. I can't say enough good things about them.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND, if you want to wear headphones while playing pool. Worth every single penny! :cool:

Ok one thing I would never expect to hear from Jam is the phrase "Beats by Dr. Dre" :bow-down: :grin-square:

I agree they are amazing and worth every penny.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok one thing I would never expect to hear from Jam is the phrase "Beats by Dr. Dre" :bow-down: :grin-square:

I agree they are amazing and worth every penny.

Which ones do you have? I cannot believe how much better I can hear with these Beats. It's amazing. I have to wear headphones 24/7 for my job, and so these are truly a godsend.

Have you had a chance to check out American Idol this year? All the microphones and headphones have the Beats logo on them.

Hewlett-Packard now feature Beats audio technology for their laptops.

Apparently, Beats is where it's at when it comes to high-quality audio.

I'm interested in what the Beats' Lady Gaga earpods are like. I'm used to over-the-head headphones, so earpods won't cut the mustard for me.

JAM <---and the Beat goes on [pun intended] :grin-square:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl

Does anyone else find it hard to play nowdays with the really loud crap music most pool rooms or bars have on? It gives me a headache in no time. does anyone play in headphones listening to what they consider good music? Sorry but just can't deal with real loud rap and very heavy metal music.

Ask Earl Strictland, he wears ear plugs and earmuffs.

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
JAM, i feel ya on this one. I got the Beats Studio, absolutely amazing. Yes, the fact it requires batteries is slightly annoying, but these are the best headphones I've ever owned. Every bit of outside noise is blocked out, leaving only your music. My play at league has been improved dramatically due to these headphones.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM, i feel ya on this one. I got the Beats Studio, absolutely amazing. Yes, the fact it requires batteries is slightly annoying, but these are the best headphones I've ever owned. Every bit of outside noise is blocked out, leaving only your music. My play at league has been improved dramatically due to these headphones.

Really?! That's is very cool and good to hear. I think I made a wise investment in these Beats. I really do like mine. In fact, I'm wearing them right now at the time of this writing. :grin-square:

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Really?! That's is very cool and good to hear. I think I made a wise investment in these Beats. I really do like mine. In fact, I'm wearing them right now at the time of this writing. :grin-square:

Btw, I can totally see how these are easy to break. Thankfully I read instructions.:D

paulempor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which ones do you have? I cannot believe how much better I can hear with these Beats. It's amazing. I have to wear headphones 24/7 for my job, and so these are truly a godsend.

Have you had a chance to check out American Idol this year? All the microphones and headphones have the Beats logo on them.

Hewlett-Packard now feature Beats audio technology for their laptops.

Apparently, Beats is where it's at when it comes to high-quality audio.

I'm interested in what the Beats' Lady Gaga earpods are like. I'm used to over-the-head headphones, so earpods won't cut the mustard for me.

JAM <---and the Beat goes on [pun intended] :grin-square:

beats-by-dre-solo-white.jpg

They are the Solos... Not the crazy expensive ones.... My lady bought them for me and I agree about quality. Highly recommended....

Yes I have seen them on amerian idol and recognized them right away :embarrassed2:

I beleive the Gaga ones are called Heartbeats by Lady Gaga.... Have read good reviews about them as well.

To the OP I throw these on and its nobody but me, my music and the table.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for this same reason plus the horrific weds night karaoke, i just bought an ipod shuffle.

it's finally loaded with music that I enjoy and should, hopefully, cancel out the bad jukeboxes and american idol wannabes who regularly appear. ;)

best,
brian kc

Oh Karoake you say; the bar I play for happens to be a karoake bar with the worst frickin singers on the planet. I can't stand that either !!:D

ShootersChad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i find the oer ear h/p's a distraction i just wear some skullcandy in-ear h/p's when i play and put on some good ol country music! :thumbup:

StickmnBiliards

Stickman Billiards
Silver Member
Skullcandy is the way to go. Like $12 and I can wear them in a metal shop as if they were earplugs with music turned low because they block other sound out amazingly.

tonov12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh boy, iem's (in ear monitors) are the way to go for the best of both worlds. Fantastic noise cancellation, comfort and sound quality. For a decent set you'll have to hit the $100 range. I have some Ultimate Ears triplefi 10's and a set of Westone 3's and they are absolutely amazing. You would never believe those tiny things could sound that good. You have to hear them to appreciate them. As for the cable problem, I run them down my shirt and that keeps them outta the way. For tons of info on fantastic set up's check out www.head-fi.org There's a slew of info on everything headphone. Good luck

:thumbup:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
put on some good ol country music!

A man after my own heart. Last night someone plugged the juke with multiple Buck Owens songs and I settled down nice into my game.

Youse guys are getting me talked into a pair of Beats too.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I tried wearing a set at home. Didn't like wearing them because they seemed to take the sound and feel away from the cue and the balls hitting each other.

I don't like the crap that they play on the juke box either and don't understand why people that complain about having no money are the ones that are throwing away.

A few times some a hole has come around taking up a collection to play it. There was no way that I was going to contribute as I liked it quiet besides the point of giving him money so he could make the selections.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm unlucky because even though I like to listen to music in the car, any other time (esp. while shooting or eating in a restaurant) it just drives me nuts. So... no, no headphones. Maybe earlmuffs.