Pool Ball Weights

snookered_again

I'm surprised about balls wearing down, I'd imagine the surface would become rough before they got smaller. the only time I see material loss is if they fly and land on concrete or something. then you might get a chip. If one has actually worn the cue ball down to a smaller size, I can only imagine how much experience ( or fun) that represents ;-)

brunswick1901

I'm surprised about balls wearing down, I'd imagine the surface would become rough before they got smaller. the only time I see material loss is if they fly and land on concrete or something. then you might get a chip. If one has actually worn the cue ball down to a smaller size, I can only imagine how much experience ( or fun) that represents ;-)
I mentioned this earlier. When I checked out a set of balls I would put the cue ball between two object balls then place the flat part of a wood triangle on top of the three balls and the cue ball was always smaller than the object balls.

This is an easy test to try the next time you are in a pool room. Please let me know if your test shows the cue ball is smaller than the object balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised about balls wearing down, ...
Chalk is ground up sand. Really. Quartz plus binder and color.

Chalk dust in cloth turns that cloth into sandpaper. Fine sandpaper but still abrasive. Brushing mostly just evens out the dust.

Any time a ball is travelling across the cloth and not rolling smoothly -- such as for a stun shot -- the ball is being abraded by sand paper.

With those facts in mind, it should be obvious that balls will wear down.

An additional problem is when the ball polisher doesn't have the pads cleaned or changed. A room I used to play in polished all 30 sets of balls every day. The balls were not replaced for the life of the room. I'm not sure about the pads. The object balls were all small and the cue balls were worse.

I have seen a red circle cue ball that had turned into a pink half-circle cue ball.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If balls are not kept clean balls contacting on another, tthat creates a rough/pitted ball surface, allowing the ball to pick up dirt quicker.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I was bored today so I weighed some of the ball sets I have for comparison purposes. About the sets at time of weight:

Aramith Tournament Set: Brand new, used a few times
Brunswick Centennial Set 1: Brand new, used a few times
Brunswick Centennial Set 2: Older, well used
Brunswick Centennial Set 3: Older, well used
Hyatt Bicentennial Set: Very Nice Condition, wouldn't be surprised if they were never played with
Dynashperes Bronze Set: Brand new
Dynashperes Platinume Set: Used condition, no blemishes
Dynaspheres Rhodium Set: Brand New
Original Cyclops Set: Used condition, no blemishes
Cyclops Athena Set: Used condition, no blemishes
Cyclops Hyperion Set: Used condition, no blemishes
Cosmos Diamond Ultra-C TV Set: Brand new, used a few times
Olhausen Signature Set: Brand new, used a few times
Predator Arcos I Prototype Set: Brand new, never played with
Predator Arcos II Set: Used condition, no blemishes
Vigma Zig-Zags Set: Brand new, used a few times
Vigma Diamonds Set: Brand new, used a few times

The Data:

View attachment 656547

View attachment 656549

View attachment 656550
Dude, I hope you get bored many more times in the future!!!👍🏻🤣

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i use the bronze dyna at one of my tables. i hate them as they are perfectly round and weigh right so my misses are me

other sets of balls sometimes are obviously the cause of my misses.

Seiji

More Data. The Brunswick Centennials are in good used shape with no nicks or cracks. Centennial Cueball is missing, set has another kind of CB.
From the data, it looks like the Centennials were used more for 9 ball games.

The Aramith Black and Super Pro are brand new just unwrapped and never played or polished.

1715009115668.png

Last edited: