Pool cue case

Fireside

Registered
So I got a couple "new" cases for our cues instead of the soft cases they came with, and I noticed that the inside of the case has started to scuff the end of the butt a little. Suffice to say that was a tad irritating but I was curious, is this normal? I didn't think it was but *shrugs* I've been very wrong before.

I can also squeeze the "hard" case and it flexes a little. Is that normal? I've only ever owned soft cases or box cases.

Edit: Forgot to add it is a little difficult to close because the cue sticks out enough where the top doesn't wanna come down around it. Once closed it fits just fine, it's just getting it closed.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I recall JB recommending shining a flashlight in to that kind of case to see
what you are fitting your cue into.
...there might be something that is blocking the full length which is
scratching your cue and making the case seem too short.

Fireside

Registered
I recall JB recommending shining a flashlight in to that kind of case to see
what you are fitting your cue into.
...there might be something that is blocking the full length which is
scratching your cue and making the case seem too short.

I don't know why I never thought of that, but that is a great idea! I just did that, and looked down there and aside from a very slight amount of dust I don't see anything. The scratches seem to be from the fabric itself which is only at the top (the holes don't run all the way through it appears).

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member

Fireside

Registered
Those make great fire starters....they go up in flames pretty quick. Make sure the cue is out of it first. I had the same issues with mine.

Well I am debating returning them to him. I knew they were used when purchasing, but was not told they smelled of cigarette smoke. That's why I came here, to see if my problems were specific to a bad case or not knowing what this type of case was like.

http://www.pooldawg.com/product/pooldawg-1-butt-1-shaft-hard-pool-cue-case Is the case I REALLY wanted to buy, but its been out of stock for weeks now.
I will upload a pic in just a sec of what I meant by "scuffs" on the butt from the case.

Fireside

Registered
This particular cue has never played a game. It's brand new, and was flawless when it arrived.

IMG_20150528_204117.jpg

Fireside

Registered
Bite the bullet and buy a JB rugged, problem solved.

I mostly posted the pic because I was curious if that kind of wear is normal from a case. From the responses I get the feeling my assumptions were right and its not. I'm 100% open to suggestions for hard cases. I planned on buying the pooldawg one when its in stock to replace this one (I heard its a good brand. If that's wrong then please let me know). Just a matter of waiting till they're in stock.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd get a JB rugged. Expensive, but worth it. If that's out of range then look into Focus cases with the JB interior. Finally, if that doesn't work, get a Porper. Wouldn't look at anything else myself.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mostly posted the pic because I was curious if that kind of wear is normal from a case. From the responses I get the feeling my assumptions were right and its not. I'm 100% open to suggestions for hard cases. I planned on buying the pooldawg one when its in stock to replace this one (I heard its a good brand. If that's wrong then please let me know). Just a matter of waiting till they're in stock.

While the JB cases are good, there is no need to buy a case worth more than your cue.

http://www.seyberts.com/products/Black_2x2_Lined_Hard_Pool_Cue_Case-103998-208.html

Fireside

Registered
And on a slightly off note, any ideas on maybe buffing those scratches out? Is this something Q-wiz is great for?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
And on a slightly off note, any ideas on maybe buffing those scratches out? Is this something Q-wiz is great for?

Don't use a Q-Wiz on the scratches! It's meant to rough up and then knock down the finish...on shafts only where you don't want the kind of poly-finish you have on the cue butt.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, you get what you paid for my friend..

I like the action and elite cases for best bang for your buck. Action is a little cheaper.
But Elite has a lot more to offer and is not that much more expensive.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah, depending on brand of cue you have, the manufacturer may refinish for free. I always look into manufacturer details before I purchase a cue.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member

Insane, you bought the cheapest used cases you could find.
You might ship the 10 dollar cases back. so you will be out the shipping there and back
and the bottle of polishing compound to rub out the scratches will cost you more then the case.

Auto parts store
get a bottle of meguiars # 2 fine cut cleaner , should take about a hr to hand polish the scratches out.

So far everything you have done on the case has cost you money and has damaged your cues.
I don't know who is advising you on what gear to buy, but you are not doing yourself any favors.
The polishing cream will work, maybe you should just send the cue to me and I will fix it for you for free, I can order you inn a new case that will not scratch the butt of your cue , and I will not order you in a case that is exactly the same as you got now except with fancy red lettering.

I think your budget screwed yourself and you just threw away 30 or 40 bucks

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The case should match the cue. If it's a nice cue, put it in a nice case.
JB and I have never been friends, but you've got to hand it to him he makes a damn fine case for the money.
Remember, treat your cue like you would your mother-in-law. Put it in a good case and then throw it in the trunk. :smile:

Last edited: