Pool hall junkies

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nope, just Hollywood believing in their own hype. There is a premium for great writers. They are well paid. The top screen writers make a small fortune, the bad ones not so much.

And we've all seen those badly written movies where they paid top actors to be in it and they just can't save it.... never could, never will.

Otherwise, they would just pay a chimp to type it out and stick De Niro in the movie and call it a day ;) That formula does not work. Oh, they try and make it work on occasion, but at the end of the day, the box office receipts never lie ;)

PT, you're one of the most reasonable guys on ABZ. Would you rather see Meryl Streep in "It's Pat - The Movie" Or Madonna in Gladiator ;) And remember, death is NOT an option :)

RJ, how can you mention Streep and Madonna in the same sentence? :eek:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
RJ, how can you mention Streep and Madonna in the same sentence? :eek:

It was not easy. But you see where I was going. Streep could NOT save a bad movie, but Madonna would not have derailed Gladiator.

Am I not being MERCIFUL !!!! lol

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
two words......Body Karate.....or something along those lines :D

Gawd it was bad, but in a good way.....sort of.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
After spending two weeks with PHJ's technical advisor and after reading this string, I'm going to watch the movie about twelve times this weekend just to remember all the details.

Freddie <~~~ the movie that started it all (says my team capt.)

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
this thread is credited for watching it tonight - wife walked in, wanted to know what kind of crap I was watching......Walken showed up on the screen so she watched for a bit :D

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Said of Anthony Hopkins....and many others...
"A great actor can read a telephone book and make you weep."

Pool Hall Junkies is worth watching for 'The Lion Speech" alone.

I thought the end of the lion speech was the worst part of the movie - don't just beat him, kick his ass - wtf??? Lol
Jason

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Most of the pool movies are not good but I will still watch them over and over.

Has anyone noticed that all American cinema is atrocious now BTW? HollyWierd and the boob tube really is a complete waste.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I thought the end of the lion speech was the worst part of the movie - don't just beat him, kick his ass - wtf??? Lol
Jason

I'm just a hopeless Walken fan...I think he enhances even his bad movies....
...they would really suck without him.

But I'm also a golfer....I would like to see a couple pool movies that I would enjoy as much
as I did Bagger Vance and Tin Cup.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Jason

Side issue: has anyone been in any Pool room that has a bathroom like the one in the Pool hall ("Hard Times" in the film, "EO's" in reality) where that "Lion Speech" took place?
My suspension of disbelief just couldn't rubber stamp that one.

images

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm just a hopeless Walken fan...I think he enhances even his bad movies....
...they would really suck without him.

But I'm also a golfer....I would like to see a couple pool movies that I would enjoy as much
as I did Bagger Vance and Tin Cup.

The rest of it was good, just that last part.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The balcony scene talking about just working hard enough not to get fired was better than the lion speech.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few weeks ago I spent a bit of time talking to Bobby Cotton who was the tech adviser for PHJ. He said the movie that ended up being made was not at all like how it started out, it went through 3-4 different revisions and ended up being a lot less of a hardcore gambling pool movie it started out as. Outside of that, the fact the movie got done, with a small budget and the two top stars in it taking almost no money for their work says something about the people making the movie.

I can't say I like the movie that much, some things were just goofy (Ricky playing with an all black Cuetec LOL), after getting some insider info about the movie I have a better appreciation for it.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
A few weeks ago I spent a bit of time talking to Bobby Cotton who was the tech adviser for PHJ. He said the movie that ended up being made was not at all like how it started out, it went through 3-4 different revisions and ended up being a lot less of a hardcore gambling pool movie it started out as. Outside of that, the fact the movie got done, with a small budget and the two top stars in it taking almost no money for their work says something about the people making the movie.

I can't say I like the movie that much, some things were just goofy (Ricky playing with an all black Cuetec LOL), after getting some insider info about the movie I have a better appreciation for it.

The line between an ACCU-stats video and a theatrical movie featuring pool, with some hope of commercial appeal, is much wider than non-film industry people realize. For me, I wad always wished that "Rounders" had featured Pool and not Poker (of course with the necessary adjustments). No chance of that happening as Brian Koppleman (part of the Rounders writing team) is now obsessed with ping pong. -Z-

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The line between an ACCU-stats video and a theatrical movie featuring pool, with some hope of commercial appeal, is much wider than non-film industry people realize. For me, I wad always wished that "Rounders" had featured Pool and not Poker (of course with the necessary adjustments). No chance of that happening as Brian Koppleman (part of the Rounders writing team) is now obsessed with ping pong. -Z-

Yeah....Rounders was more satisfying to a poker player than any pool movie has been to
a pool player.....it was a good movie...but you learned a little about poker also.

Or like the Cincinnati Kid....where people argued about that last hand....
....Gets down to what it's all about, doesn't it? Making the wrong move at the right time.

Maybe we need a one-pocket movie where the finale is getting out of a trap that makes
pool history....and the protagonist uses the money to save the world.