Pool is dead or is slowing dying. Why is this?

Pool is dead or is slowing dying. Why is this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After some more thought, I've come to believe that pool demands a dedication to the game than most people are unwilling to commit to today. Pool is a hard game to learn to play well and that may be an understatement. Looking back on it, I am somewhat surprised that I have the little skill that I have considering the fact that I've stayed married for 47 years and held a job most of my adult life. People told me when I started to get serious about the game that if I really wanted to get good at it, to quit my job and get a divorce. I declined.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Pool is dying so much that I have more tournaments each week than I can attend, I have more regional tournaments each month than I can go to, more leagues than I can play on,. And more huge league events than we can display at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Q: covfefing?
A: " ...... "
Q: Oh .. him. Well - at least we could laugh at the Bushisms, still trying to figure out if Trump was drunk, or just dropped something on the keyboard .. but I guess that's for a different thread?

"When I find myself in times of tweeting trouble
Mother Russia comes to me
speaking words of wisdom
Convfefe, Convfefe" :D:):D

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe in your world

Pool will never die.
Some pool halls close, some open.
It may not be a viable way to make a living for professionals.
It may not be a sport shown on TV.
It may not be as widespread as in the past in this country.
People will always have fun doing it.
There will always be people playing pool somewhere.
Maybe not in your hometown, but somewhere, somebody is having fun.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
After some more thought, I've come to believe that pool demands a dedication to the game than most people are unwilling to commit to today. Pool is a hard game to learn to play well and that may be an understatement. Looking back on it, I am somewhat surprised that I have the little skill that I have considering the fact that I've stayed married for 47 years and held a job most of my adult life. People told me when I started to get serious about the game that if I really wanted to get good at it, to quit my job and get a divorce. I declined.

I like this ^^
Being at the very top of any profession demands a lot of dedication, skill, and a weee bit of luck.
Most of us give a fair bit, but a few of you folks out there give it everything; and that means sacrifices have to be made in other areas.

Pushout. If you have a 47 year marriage - I'd say you made the right choices in life for yourself and family. Kudos.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I don't agree it's dyeing. I've been playing for 30 years and more people are playing leagues then I've ever seen. The current amature players are also better then I've seen. Is there a pro tour .. no that's struggling. That amature side is thriving.

I agree with this. Recreational pool is doing okay. It's not a good career choice.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I can stream tournament play from around the globe on demand, 24/7/365, any time I want. https://tv.chalkysticks.com/
Yeah, it's not competing with the NFL, but neither is soccer

The governing bodies & associations for Pro PLayers need to pull their heads out of their @$$3$. From what I've heard too much petty ante bickering, too much me think an too little we think. The sponsorship role needs to be reworked by those who benefit financially from the industry.

After some more thought, I've come to believe that pool demands a dedication to the game than most people are unwilling to commit to today.
I agree 100%, The same can be said of golf, yet in both golf & pool there are more recreational players than ever before.

Last edited:
Pool is on the up in the Netherlands. Pool halls are packed, and loads of kids playing!

I would have to agree with you. In certain areas, pool is still popular. California is dead, because there are only a handful of tournaments. Swanee, Mezz, and a few Hard Times Billiards are all that I am aware of.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If pool is dead or dying why are merry widows going for $1,000 on the wanted/for sale forum? Maybe the only players left are millionaires or maybe here is a high demand for cues because there are a lot of pool players.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
California Leagues

I would have to agree with you. In certain areas, pool is still popular. California is dead, because there are only a handful of tournaments. Swanee, Mezz, and a few Hard Times Billiards are all that I am aware of.

California's weather is too nice for any type of league, pool, bowling, darts, foosball.

We don't have to be indoors everyday during the winter.

Plus buying a building to house a Billiards Room or Bowling House.....Forget About It.

People get bored too fast and will not commit to anything long term. Bowling leagues went from 32 weeks twice every night to 16 weeks once a week to Cosmic Open Play on Friday/Saturday.

Too many choices of entertainment everywhere.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The Players the Industry.

Well the old model of get a company to fork up money and then let us go play for it used to be easy. Saving pool is going to require a stable plan that will work then its going to take some work, it could be done but it wont be until a corporation that is scared of going under does something about it. Then if there are any pros left they will benefit but since the home market and the European Market is as big as it is, that wont happen for decades if then. Pool here could die and it would be only a ripple in the billiard industry and hardly felt.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Same Was Said of American 10 Pin Bowling

Pool will never die.
Some pool halls close, some open.
It may not be as widespread as in the past in this country.
People will always have fun doing it.
There will always be people playing pool somewhere.
Maybe not in your hometown, but somewhere, somebody is having fun.

The same thing was said of American 10 Pin Bowling

Doing well in Asia
Doing very well in India

Brunswick Bowling now owned by an Italian company.
AMF Bowling owned by the same Italian company.

Half of the bowling houses in Los Angeles are closed and gone.

Last edited:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost all of the pool Halls that opened in the post color of money boom are gone......along with a majority of the old school pool rooms in Halifax. I hope it makes a comeback.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Personally I think it's the formats being used and the excessive hanging around time, never knowing when your going to play next and not playing but always waiting that infuriates players. And if it's a two day event, the cost of being their overnight is usually greater than your entry fee.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
You dont play pool for the same fun everyone looks for

Personally I think it's the formats being used and the excessive hanging around time, never knowing when your going to play next and not playing but always waiting that infuriates players. And if it's a two day event, the cost of being their overnight is usually greater than your entry fee.

Tournaments don't give enough play to make pool satisfying. Long sets are much more satisfying and pool isnt fun like a lot of people think of it, people have migrated towards mindless fun.Its about hard to satisfy players under those conditions and the player tend to not spend money in the rooms.

Island Drive

Silver Member
You dont play pool for the same fun everyone looks for..........

Robin....

What are U saying?

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is alive and well in the Wichita area; and for the MidWest for that matter. Lots of weekly tournaments and league action. Several larger tournaments each year too. 1 on 1 action is easy to find. Both dedicated pool halls and pool hall / sports bars seem to do well here.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Pool is alive and well in the Wichita area; and for the MidWest for that matter. Lots of weekly tournaments and league action. Several larger tournaments each year too. 1 on 1 action is easy to find. Both dedicated pool halls and pool hall / sports bars seem to do well here.

Kansas is and always be the hub of pool. Olathe events proved that, and still do. Within 1/2 days drive, KC is close to many major midwest cities.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A broader picture

You dont play pool for the same fun everyone looks for..........

Robin....

What are U saying?

Players are looking for a different kind of fun thats true. I guess at the time I was thinking about the non playing public.