Pool Sharks in Vegas is Closing

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great read. But I think too many people are missing a lot of the basic info. I would go into some detail - but maybe another time.

I know what I would would get into name calling - because most people don't see the whole picture.

Couple of things: Teacherman really is for pool. He comes across a little abrasive- but his message is partially correct. Pool rooms will continue to fail, but leagues aren't the real problem. I believe league and pool room (7' and 9') can co- exist fine.

Any pool room is supposed to protect their regular players from being 'taken off' by an out of towner. This problem is exasperated because of no standard rating system. An A player means a lot of different things. So does any (APA) style numerical system. And that is why FARGORATE is so important. It will create a standard that works across the board. (Www.fargorate.com)

My last comment is that leagues are supposed to be good for a pool room or bar. Because they are supposed to get pool time. Guess what????? Ask around- you will find many leagues demand open tables (free time). That doesn't help a pool room. That's bleeds it to death. That is often promoted by the league operator (franchisee). Ever see a bowling alley not charge for league play? Bet you didn't. This is the biggest cancer in the US pool scene. (And I think this is what Teacherman is partially saying about 7' league play) my attitude has always been: if it's free, then it has no value.

But let's try to solve the issue in a peaceful, mature manner.

BTW- I'll take this opportunity to 'pre-announce' the return of the US OPEN STRAIGHT POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (yay). It will be played on 9' tables (gold crown). It will be April (20-24) - it will be on the East Coast at Pool Table Magic (Windsor Locks, Ct). Produced by CSI (in conjunction with Pool Table Magic (Mark Kulungian).

So - this shows that CSI feels 7' and 9' tables can compliment each other. Which once again reinforces the importance of FargoRate.

More info to come soon.

Mark Griffin, CSI

Mark,
I have booked my flight ticket for SBE from 11-21 April. I should be grateful if you can post info of the straight pool open asap - I may be able to extend my stay :thumbup:

Last edited: