Pool Tables For Sale

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Are 99% of pool tables for sale pure crap???

I want to get a pool table in the next year or so, and I'm the type of guy that likes to do his research early. Also, you never know when you might find a killer bargain, just buy it early, and store it. Anyway, I've been checking out craigslist - 99% of the tables for sale are complete junk, and the prices are CRAZY expensive. Every table is some crappy, weak version of a wanna-be antique that was purchased out of a cut-rate antique store in 1930. Even as furniture, these tables are just plain ugly - my grandmother would be disappointed at their poor attempt to mimic furniture.

Then I also thought back to my few and rare trips to the pool table sales places....99% of what they carry is this same verison of bad antique furniture.

Do I just have bad taste? Why wouldn't people be drawn to the simplicity and clean lines of a nice Gold Crown, or a Diamond, or even a few of the Olhausen tables. What is the draw of buying this crappy antique-looking garbage? I just don't get it.

Oh, and most of them seem to have tan or red felt :banghead:

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Tables for Sale

Here is one for you Big Perm. You could probably pick it up for 2k or less. I don't care what color the felt is since I never re-stretch used felt anyway.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/spo/1640986252.html

Just a good example that they are out there (you live too far away). This table looks in great shape.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I want to get a pool table in the next year or so, and I'm the type of guy that likes to do his research early. Also, you never know when you might find a killer bargain, just buy it early, and store it. Anyway, I've been checking out craigslist - 99% of the tables for sale are complete junk, and the prices are CRAZY expensive. Every table is some crappy, weak version of a wanna-be antique that was purchased out of a cut-rate antique store in 1930. Even as furniture, these tables are just plain ugly - my grandmother would be disappointed at their poor attempt to mimic furniture.

Then I also thought back to my few and rare trips to the pool table sales places....99% of what they carry is this same verison of bad antique furniture.

Do I just have bad taste? Why wouldn't people be drawn to the simplicity and clean lines of a nice Gold Crown, or a Diamond, or even a few of the Olhausen tables. What is the draw of buying this crappy antique-looking garbage? I just don't get it.

Big Perm, the pool table manufacturing industry is like the cue building trade. There use to only be a few, now everyone's building a table/cue all nice and pretty. Problem is, the knowledge it takes to build a good quality table/cue has been lost by those that jumped into the business....because everyone else was making money at it, so why not them to? Problem is, pricing was set by those that were long in the business, and worked hard to get that price with craftsmanship and quality. Unfortunately, that established price was also a standard for the new table/cue manufactures as all they had to do was come in BELOW that industry standard pricing, and there's always a new customer;) willing to pay LESS, unfortunately they've also ended up with less as well...call it a learning experience:D

Glen

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are few and far between....but their out there. I've seen a couple of Diamond Pro's on this site and E-bay go for reasonable prices. If I'm not mistaken one went for around 2500.00. The other one was in Michigan that was 1-2 years old, and came with the Diamond light. It sounded like that one could be had for under 4k. E-bay has alot more, mostly Gold Crown 3's and earlier. The trick is to check everyday. Hell if your feeling lucky find Robin Dodson's raffle- 20 bucks for a brand new Gold crown 5. The drawing is May 22. Its a 10K table.

LeagueGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When i bought my table for my new house i went to my pool hall where i play alot and spoke to the owner. He said he was ordering a few new gold crown's the next year and he would tack one on to his order for me. His guys even came and set it up for me.

I got a new gold crown, simonis and all the accsessories for $2,000 installed. (I also tipped the installers $300 as they were doing the owner a favor by helping me out)

I would talk to your local places first and see what they say.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When i bought my table for my new house i went to my pool hall where i play alot and spoke to the owner. He said he was ordering a few new gold crown's the next year and he would tack one on to his order for me. His guys even came and set it up for me.

I got a new gold crown, simonis and all the accsessories for $2,000 installed. (I also tipped the installers $300 as they were doing the owner a favor by helping me out)

I would talk to your local places first and see what they say.

Brunswick dealers can't even get a GC5 at that price, let alone a pool room owner buying a few Brunswicks...:confused:

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've seen, most true antique tables are not crappy, meaning that they are well made, but....when buying those you need to look at how well they've held up over the years. I have seen tons of GC's for sale at decent prices and it sounds like you'd like one of those or a Diamond, so why not just look for one of those? I'd say your chance of finding a cheap GC is very high and I don't think you can go wrong with one.

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was looking for a table, I put an ad in sporting goods in the local newspaper for wanted: pool table. I talked with a couple of dozen people on the phone, looked at 2 or 3 tables and ended up with a very nice early 1960's 9' Brunswick Viscount for $1500 moved and installed with new Gorina Granito cloth.

When I go looking again, I'll do the same thing, but will probably use Craigslist this time. There are a lot of good buys out there that aren't advertised yet.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Big perm you have got the right idea. I believe it was on this forum that I read when looking for a good used table DO NOT get in a hurry. Because good things come to those who wait. But let me tell you something .... if you have a house with room and are looking to fill it with a table that " DO NOT get in a hurry " suggestion can be agonizing. It seems like forever until the perfect table will role around, so buying it early and storing it is a great advantage. If you are already drawn to wards the simple lines of a Diamond or a Gold Crown get one. If you end up buying a furniture style table because it was a good deal or because it played good enough you will always be wanting the competition style table and will no doubt find a way to get one later on. Take it from someone who has been there and done that. Good luck with the table, we cant wait to see it.:D

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Be encouraged Big Perm....

I have never attached an image to a post here so this will be my first attempt.

The images below (he said hopefully) are of my Brunswick GC1 circa 1962. I found it in an online classified ad approx 4 years ago here in CT. It came with the matching wall rack (see pics) in the same aqua and beige color scheme as the table. All professionally disassembled, packed, and loaded into my van. I paid $1800 for all and couldn't be happier.

These old GC tables are built to last a lifetime - they didn't skimp. Everywhere in my home there are antiques not only because I enjoy their beauty, but from a functional standpoint, to my mind older is better. Things were made to last.

For me the lines of these early GC's are magnificent and they play as good as any table you can get. So, if you like the great deco look of the GC1 you can likely keep your eyes peeled and find something good for under 2k.

Diamond tables are the only ones that I would consider if I were in the market for a new or newer table but I don't think a 9 footer could be had at ot under the 2k mark.

And as another poster already pointed out, the color of the cloth shouldn't be a deal breaker - you're likely going to want to put new cloth on anyway.

Here's Kid D., Bristol Bob and me at my house with the old GC.

Regards,

Brian (KC)

Attachments

• Me-Kid-BristolBob-laugh.jpg
    Me-Kid-BristolBob-laugh.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Me-Kid-surveying-table-b.jpg
    Me-Kid-surveying-table-b.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 332
  • pool-table2.jpg
    pool-table2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 331
  • pool-table3.jpg
    pool-table3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 329

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
gracias...

Nice room KC, That set up looks hard to beat.:cool:

thank you very much, sir.

it is a beautiful thing to be able to work on my game just by going down a few stairs. for that, and some other things, i feel blessed.

and i do want big perm to feel encouraged that there are some nice tables to be had for reasonable money.

best,
brian (kc)

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
thank you very much, sir.

it is a beautiful thing to be able to work on my game just by going down a few stairs. for that, and some other things, i feel blessed.

and i do want big perm to feel encouraged that there are some nice tables to be had for reasonable money.

best,
brian (kc)

Brian,
Those are really neat looking photos of your beautiful pool room! Thanks for posting them.

And Big Perm, as long as you get a top brand (Brunswick, Diamond, etc) table, you should be satisfied. Even used, as long as you don't get one from a bar or a pool room where they were abused, everything should be just fine. Of course, brand new Simonis 860 and a little cleaning of the rails and frame will make one heck of a make-over on a used table!

Don't be discouraged B.P. Just keep looking around and eventually, you'll find one that is just right for you and your budget.

One more thing...I'm not a fan either of furniture type pool tables with ornamental wood, etc. I like the commercial grade and tournament tables. Call the pool table makers and ask them to send you a catalog with prices. Then find a dealer near you and then we look forward to seeing YOUR poolroom pics!

Last edited:

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Thanks for all the PM's and great comments....for the record, not buying anything anytime soon, I just like to research and know what is out there....besides, you never know when you might find that $200 table somebody just has to get rid of :wink:

I don't even have a place to put it right now, but if I found one cheaper than dirt, I'd store it....

Thanks for all the advice and comments....and Shane, you are still my boy....