Pool Tourney Prize Money STILL Not Paid

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On December 6, 2008 I participated in a 32 player 8 ball Tournament at the Pinehurst Pub in Seattle, WA. The event was sponsored by Forte Condominiums. www.fortelife.com The Condo association advertized $875 in added prize money, and charged a $15 entry fee. All the entry fees were donated to Norhtwest Harvest as a charitable donation. The prize money was divided into $500 for first, $250 for second and $125 for third. They also had a break pot in which all money was donated to charity after the winning ticket holders failed to win the pot.

I took first place, and when I approached the TD to collect my winnings I was asked to provide my name and address and he said the Condo Association would mail me a check. The TD has no affiliation with Forte Condos, and was following the instructions of the Forte Representative that had departed the establishment half way through the tourney.

It has now been 5 weeks, and I still have not received my winnings. I have spoken with the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, and they have not been paid either. I have called Forte on multiple occasions, and they have assured me that the "check is in the mail." I spoke with the employee of the pinehurst that helped organize the Tourney, and she has assured me that she is doing everything she can.

What steps can I take to ensure that the winning players receive their money? I also feel like Forte should provide proof that the entry fees and break pot $ was actually donated as advertised.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
ajohnson13 said:
On December 6, 2008 I participated in a 32 player 8 ball Tournament at the Pinehurst Pub in Seattle, WA. The event was sponsored by Forte Condominiums. www.fortelife.com The Condo association advertized $875 in added prize money, and charged a $15 entry fee. All the entry fees were donated to Norhtwest Harvest as a charitable donation. The prize money was divided into $500 for first, $250 for second and $125 for third. They also had a break pot in which all money was donated to charity after the winning ticket holders failed to win the pot.

I took first place, and when I approached the TD to collect my winnings I was asked to provide my name and address and he said the Condo Association would mail me a check. The TD has no affiliation with Forte Condos, and was following the instructions of the Forte Representative that had departed the establishment half way through the tourney.

It has now been 5 weeks, and I still have not received my winnings. I have spoken with the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, and they have not been paid either. I have called Forte on multiple occasions, and they have assured me that the "check is in the mail." I spoke with the employee of the pinehurst that helped organize the Tourney, and she has assured me that she is doing everything she can.

What steps can I take to ensure that the winning players receive their money? I also feel like Forte should provide proof that the entry fees and break pot $ was actually donated as advertised.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

First.....

Does Kevin Trudeau own Forte Condo's?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I wouldn't sweat it yet, believe it or not. Sounds like the condo foundation is paying you the same way they would pay any vendor... net 30/45 time frame. They're prob not pool fans and prob think nothing is wrong about paying with terms. Sounds like the tournament director didn't set this up correctly with the benefactor (condo assoc. do not sponsor pool tourneys as a normal thing). The TD prob said "hey do this" and they said OK and that was that.

Until you get to net-60, I wouldn't worry.

I get paid net-30/60 all the time with other companies. Sucks for an individual player... and looks bad considering other TD's have bellied-up. However, with an association paying out.... sounds normal from my experience.

Dave

p.s. the lawn-guy who does CAM for the condo assoc prob waits for his check too.

"Associations" are always late.

Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
The threat of a Letter to the Editor of the Seattle Times might be persuasive.

Other than that I can't think of a better leveraging ploy.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
cigardave said:
The threat of a Letter to the Editor of the Seattle Times might be persuasive.

Other than that I can't think of a better leveraging ploy.

The power of the pen is mightier than the sword. The threat of legal action can work wonders too. A simple letter from an attorney might just do the trick. Small Claims court is made for disputes just like this as well.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Suggestions

jay helfert said:
The power of the pen is mightier than the sword. The threat of legal action can work wonders too. A simple letter from an attorney might just do the trick. Small Claims court is made for disputes just like this as well.

I agree with what is being said here as well. In addition once you recieve your winnings from this charitable tournament that you entered, I would personally take your winning to the Northwest Harvest Foundation and donate it to them. If you do it this way you can be assured that they at least recieved your winnings as donation to their cause. Good luck and way to go for doing positive things for a charitable cause.

Kevin

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
You would think with the tournament taking place in December, they would have wanted this payout reflected in 2008.

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, and the advice. My first step will be to send a notarized letter of collection certified mail, so I at least have some documentation to open up a claim with small claims court. I do have a copy of the tournament board as well. I will wait until they are at least net 60, as I agree that is normal, however all players expected to be paid in cash at the time of the event, and if I were the TD I would have insisted upon this.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ajohnson13 said:
Thanks for the replies, and the advice. My first step will be to send a notarized letter of collection certified mail, so I at least have some documentation to open up a claim with small claims court. I do have a copy of the tournament board as well. I will wait until they are at least net 60, as I agree that is normal, however all players expected to be paid in cash at the time of the event, and if I were the TD I would have insisted upon this.

Keep any and all printed material you have that refers to the event. Advertising and publicity material especially.

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I gotta say I feel like an a$$. I was definately a bit hasty by posting this. I was trying to hold off and give them time to come thru, and well guess what. The day I post this I get home from work, and the is a check in my mailbox for $500. I am sure glad it worked out this way.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This tournament wasn't sanctioned by the WPA? If it was then there wouldn't have been any problem with the payout :)

ajohnson13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smoooothstroke said:
Did the players know before hand that they would be paid by check and not right after the tourney?
No, we all expected the winners to be paid in cash.