Potential Gus Szamboti Cue

waynehouston

Registered
Good Morning All-

I'm definitely a newbie here, and my apologies in advance if this is not the correct thread to post my question in.

I recently acquired a cue firmly believed as to be a Gus Szamboti original. I've tried contacting Barry via email and phone to ask for permission to even send him photos, but have been unsuccessful. I can respect the fact that he may be overwhelmed with work, or have other happenings at the moment. If contact can be established, I'll gladly fly the cue up to him personally for verification. The positive end result will be to ebay the cue.

In the meantime, I wanted to post a few pics of the cue for the forum's input. Feel free to chime in with key notes, as well as areas of concerns. Some of the questions that may come up may be addressed in the following.

-Cue was re-wrapped by Ernie Gutierrez of Ginacue.

-The cue has been in the same showcase for at least the last 20 years, personally seen growing up. As far as age is concerned, it's at least that.

-It originally came with 4 shafts. Two remain while the other two were destroyed by accident.

-Cue and one of the shafts weigh in at 20.6 ounces, with one shaft weighing in at 4.3 ounces, and the other at 3.7.

-The measurement from the joint collar to the tip of the points measures in at exactly 3 inches.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,054
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,063
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,183
  • image9.JPG
    image9.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,030
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,062
Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow 160 views and not one reply.
I have seen a number of Gus cues and this one looks like the real deal.
I am no expert.
Barry would be the go to guy.

waynehouston

Registered
Yeah, a little shocked myself actually. The keyboard was on fire in the other threads with the mere mention of the Szamboti name. Thanks for your reply though, score +1.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks to be really well made, whatever it is. hopefully barry gets back to you!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am sure no one has filled you in yet but I am the approved AZB cue tester. Simply send me the cue and I would be more than happy to test it out and confirm/deny your allegations. If I happen to find the cue is not from Gus I will simply keep the cue as a sample to help protect others against buying possible forgeries. :thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow 160 views and not one reply.
I have seen a number of Gus cues and this one looks like the real deal.
I am no expert.
Barry would be the go to guy.

LOL!

I typed a response and did not hit "submit". Saw it when first posted. Found this response sitting on my second monitor:

Looks like a Gus, but I am no expert. No better way to tell than to get in it Barry's hands. Don't give up on that.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote no based on the nub end of the shaft inserts.

Any well informed Gus fan should know what I am referring to:).

Dale

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a gus that looked like that one
barry made some too so sending him the pictures or the cue is a good idea

either way ,you have a nice looking cue

waynehouston

Registered
Yeah, I don't have that magic "Gus" eye to spot that particular difference, but appreciate the input.

Another cue from Barry's son posted here has the EXACT same work done on the shafts. Fingers still crossed.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's referring to the pilots

I get that. But specifically what about them?

Compared to known cues they look very much the same, at least in the pictures, as far as I can see. I posted links to an original owner example. Since it is the original owner we know the shafts are original, never swapped (assuming the owner is honest).

Can we get a more detailed description or comparison with known cues? Exactly what about them is incorrect?

I am sincerely interested.

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Morning All-

I'm definitely a newbie here, and my apologies in advance if this is not the correct thread to post my question in.

I recently acquired a cue firmly believed as to be a Gus Szamboti original. I've tried contacting Barry via email and phone to ask for permission to even send him photos, but have been unsuccessful. I can respect the fact that he may be overwhelmed with work, or have other happenings at the moment. If contact can be established, I'll gladly fly the cue up to him personally for verification. The positive end result will be to ebay the cue.

In the meantime, I wanted to post a few pics of the cue for the forum's input. Feel free to chime in with key notes, as well as areas of concerns. Some of the questions that may come up may be addressed in the following.

-Cue was re-wrapped by Ernie Gutierrez of Ginacue.

-The cue has been in the same showcase for at least the last 20 years, personally seen growing up. As far as age is concerned, it's at least that.

-It originally came with 4 shafts. Two remain while the other two were destroyed by accident.

-Cue and one of the shafts weigh in at 20.6 ounces, with one shaft weighing in at 4.3 ounces, and the other at 3.7.

-The measurement from the joint collar to the tip of the points measures in at exactly 3 inches.

It looks awfully similar to this Szamboti - http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~spirit1/custom22.html

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me the pilots look a little off. But that may just be the picture angle
What I do find most "off " about it is the inlay size and balance..
You tend to see his use larger size diamonds in the buttsleeve then he uses in the points
To me the balance of this cue is suspicious.