Predator 314 ferrule

tsmith3179

Registered
Does anyone have any pics of a 314 ferrule removed, I am curious about the construction as I would like to replace the ferrule. Also any suggestions on replacement ferrule. Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No disrespect intended but I figure, if Predator wanted pictures like this public, they would have it on they're web site. There are reasons why they have authorized repair shops.

Last edited:

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
predator ferrule

I"d like to see both without removing my own. I guess I can do that if need be. I doubt that anything proprietary would matter to predator at this point...?? Most people who can affect them already have I'm sure.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
If it needs to be replaced and you are trying to learn, and you feel you can do the same type of work that the authorized repair depots do....
Cut er off and let it buck....

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
here is an alternative way: since making us cut the same ferrule like original predator would be too expensive for our customers we offer them a cheaper way (it is easier to perform hence the price). Make a tenon of balsa wood (which is very light and weighs almost like the foam inside the shaft) and set an ordinary capless ferrule on it. Done that several times and the shaft played okay even after such modification.

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are looking to keep your Predator warranty then you should send it to a Predator repair center.
If not and you have a lathe you should be able to make one for it.
As far as material it's your choice there.

I would not recommend an uncapped ferrule. But that is your choice.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL!

I sent links to your site to the OP by PM days ago. I really appreciate the site. Too often people talk about such things like they are top secret...and they aren't at all. Like...don't mess with it....the warranty issues and bad karma will bring blight to your family.... :eek:

It's a shaft...and a mass produced one. If people want to mess with them then I say go for it. You never know...some "hack" might just improve it. Stranger things have happened.

When it's a custom shaft, especially from a maker no longer with us or retired, then I cringe when people start messing with them.

A Predator? Hey...if you screw it up, buy a dozen more under retail on Ebay and keep screwing with them. Just what I think, and I'm not a cue maker...and I tend to be a little screwy anyway.

Thank you. :thumbup:

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL!

I sent links to your site to the OP by PM days ago. I really appreciate the site. Too often people talk about such things like they are top secret...and they aren't at all. Like...don't mess with it....the warranty issues and bad karma will bring blight to your family.... :eek:

It's a shaft...and a mass produced one. If people want to mess with them then I say go for it. You never know...some "hack" might just improve it. Stranger things have happened.

When it's a custom shaft, especially from a maker no longer with us or retired, then I cringe when people start messing with them.

A Predator? Hey...if you screw it up, buy a dozen more under retail on Ebay and keep screwing with them. Just what I think, and I'm not a cue maker...and I tend to be a little screwy anyway.

Thank you. :thumbup:

Glad you like it. I have not had time to update that much due to a totally new page is on it's way which sucks the energy out of me.
More interesting stuff would come - not just these old Predator repairs :)
Have a nice weekend.

K

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesnt the Z2 come with phenolic? The one I replaced did.

The ones I have done did not have phenolic ferrules.
I have not done that many lately due to the fact that many customers
has left these products and migrated to Tiger and OB shafts due to the
lack of local sales service and built quality....
Might be the later shafts use Phenolic but those I have not
seen.
K