Predator REVO Limited Edition

riskytrousers

Registered
If they end up making one with a 12mm or under tip without going to a conical taper like the Z, I might be into this.

I don't see why with carbon construction you couldn't go ahead and go a little finer than 12.9mm in the first place, you can make it as stiff or as whippy as need be at any diameter or taper.

For what it's worth, I came from using a Z3 and got used to the Revo fairly quickly. The straight taper on the Revo makes it feel about the same as the Z3 where you would normally bridge. It really is a nice shaft and don't see myself going back to wood. If you're ever in the Los Angeles area I'd be more than happy to let you play a few sets with it.

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who have the revo shaft, do you prefer the soft tip? or did you stick with whatever tip you were using before?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I came from using a Z3 and got used to the Revo fairly quickly. The straight taper on the Revo makes it feel about the same as the Z3 where you would normally bridge. It really is a nice shaft and don't see myself going back to wood. If you're ever in the Los Angeles area I'd be more than happy to let you play a few sets with it.

I'm always into information gathering, so please don't take anything as confrontational.
To say you don't see yourself going back to wood is a strong statement- how long have you been playing with the revo compared to wood shafts?

I've seen a lot of statements regarding the revo- and many are based on playing a rack or two with it to playing a couple of weeks.
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've had shafts that play stellar for a month or two then fail or change, so I've been in the understanding that all equipment changes in time. As for the revo...how will it play with a worn down tip? Or after 500 hours of solid use? Only time will tell.

As far as shaft size, I still am under the strong belief that a player should never have to adapt to their equipment, that their equipment should be adapted to the player.
So if the Revo is a one size only unable to be modified shaft, I'll take a pass.

riskytrousers

Registered
I'm always into information gathering, so please don't take anything as confrontational.
To say you don't see yourself going back to wood is a strong statement- how long have you been playing with the revo compared to wood shafts?

I've seen a lot of statements regarding the revo- and many are based on playing a rack or two with it to playing a couple of weeks.
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've had shafts that play stellar for a month or two then fail or change, so I've been in the understanding that all equipment changes in time. As for the revo...how will it play with a worn down tip? Or after 500 hours of solid use? Only time will tell.

As far as shaft size, I still am under the strong belief that a player should never have to adapt to their equipment, that their equipment should be adapted to the player.
So if the Revo is a one size only unable to be modified shaft, I'll take a pass.

I completely understand your skepticism. I've been playing for about 12 years, mostly with Predator's Z line but also with a few nice customs here and there. I got the Revo about a month ago which had a worn Victory Soft. I did not care for the soft tip, even well broken in. I just received my brand new Revo and opted for a Victory Medium and I like the hit better. I have a Zan Grip Hard on my Z3 which I absolutely love, will be trying this next.

Just to be clear, I am not saying the Revo is Jesus in cue shaft form and will make your game jump by three balls overnight. What I do like about it:

the consistent taper
the low deflection qualities that are a little better than the Z
not worrying about dings or the shaft getting sticky
Not worrying about the shaft changing its characteristics due to the environment
Getting the same amount of spin closer to center when compared to the Z

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I thought exactly the same thing. For the last few years I have played primarily with a Z or a Z2 and more recently with an I-3 as Z3, all with 11.75 tip (Z3 slightly larger) and a cocical taper, though I do have an S-Tuned Z2 that I'll play with every now and then. The Revo is so smooth you may notice a difference in the size for a ball or two but after that it's just a joy to play with. I don't see myself ever switching over 100%, but I am confident that I will, over time, play with the Revo more and more. The only thing I don't like about it is the attention that it draws, everyone wants to see it or try it out, I'd rarely let anyone else use my cue.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely understand your skepticism. I've been playing for about 12 years, mostly with Predator's Z line but also with a few nice customs here and there. I got the Revo about a month ago which had a worn Victory Soft. I did not care for the soft tip, even well broken in. I just received my brand new Revo and opted for a Victory Medium and I like the hit better. I have a Zan Grip Hard on my Z3 which I absolutely love, will be trying this next.

Just to be clear, I am not saying the Revo is Jesus in cue shaft form and will make your game jump by three balls overnight. What I do like about it:

the consistent taper
the low deflection qualities that are a little better than the Z
not worrying about dings or the shaft getting sticky
Not worrying about the shaft changing its characteristics due to the environment
Getting the same amount of spin closer to center when compared to the Z

I appreciate the response and thank you for the input.

I thought exactly the same thing. For the last few years I have played primarily with a Z or a Z2 and more recently with an I-3 as Z3, all with 11.75 tip (Z3 slightly larger) and a cocical taper, though I do have an S-Tuned Z2 that I'll play with every now and then. The Revo is so smooth you may notice a difference in the size for a ball or two but after that it's just a joy to play with. I don't see myself ever switching over 100%, but I am confident that I will, over time, play with the Revo more and more. The only thing I don't like about it is the attention that it draws, everyone wants to see it or try it out, I'd rarely let anyone else use my cue.

My next question is, if Predator were to release a RevoZ would you prefer that and make the switch back?

I have stated before on another thread, Predator is misleading in that if they are planning for the capabilities of varying the diameter of the revo, they should be open and honest with dates so as to not mislead buyers into thinking they have to adapt to a whole new diameter after more than a decade of Predator shafts marketed in 4 different sizes.

I absolutely understand on the attention. I have a 1968 Dodge Charger and if you want to fuel it up, be prepared for at least 3 conversations from car enthusiasts before you get back home. I can see the same for the mystery black shaft on table 7 in a crowded pool hall.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been waiting for a properly designed and constructed carbon fiber shaft for a while now. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer until they offer up just the shafts. I'd like to put one on my southwest.

If it plays well, I'll keep it. I think the biggest bonus to these things will be no more dings. I can't stand dings and as careful as I am, I can't seem to stop them from appearing on my shafts.

I'm really looking forward to getting one of these.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
That's a beautiful cue, and I really like the technology involved. It's a bit pricey for me, however, but then who knows. Maybe one day. :smile:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
My next question is, if Predator were to release a RevoZ would you prefer that and make the switch back?.

If that were the case I'm I'd love to take it for a spin. The thing is, when I practice now I rarely use just one cue and I pretty much don't notice a difference now in switching back and forth from the Revo to the Z's and the I-3. The Revo is so smooth that my feeling is that if it were produced at 12mm or less it would almost be too thin. I would be interested to know if the Revo was ever tested as a Snooker shaft with a taper common to Snooker players and what their thoughts were. Truth be told I think I'd like to have it at about 12.5 but I think that would be as small as I'd go. It does what it does so well there just isn't any need for it to be any smaller.
I have never cared much for the Predator tips, but on this shaft I'm not yet seeing any need to change it. I'd always go with a Kamui or a G2 and I won't put any more Predator tips on my wood shafts, but this one has a nice feel to it.
I know earlier in this thread it was asked that some side by side photos of the various Predator shafts be posted. If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll try to get to that today

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Sticky>

Does the shaft really stay completely smooth after using it for awhile? It doesn't get sticky from chalk dirt, etc?

b

riskytrousers

Registered
Does the shaft really stay completely smooth after using it for awhile? It doesn't get sticky from chalk dirt, etc?

b

It does get dirty, but at a much slower rate than a wood shaft. And when it does get dirty all it takes is a quick wipe down with an alcohol pad and it's back to new.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does get dirty, but at a much slower rate than a wood shaft. And when it does get dirty all it takes is a quick wipe down with an alcohol pad and it's back to new.

I was playing with the Vantage shaft and in the last year with all the cleaning and removing dings the shaft got weaker and weaker with more and more deflection each time I had it cleaned and dings removed until the laminates came apart. I had to replace my Vantage shaft 3 times in the last year at $310 a pop. Just before I got my REVO it happened again and had to play with my OB2 shaft. I still need to purchase the Vantage shaft again. The Vantage is a 12.9 so I had no need to adjust to the REVO shaft. Anytime you have your wood shaft sanded down, no matter how little, the shaft gets weaker and gains deflection. This is my main reason for wanting the REVO and have no intentions of going back to a wood shaft.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing with the Vantage shaft and in the last year with all the cleaning and removing dings the shaft got weaker and weaker with more and more deflection each time I had it cleaned and dings removed until the laminates came apart. I had to replace my Vantage shaft 3 times in the last year at $310 a pop. Just before I got my REVO it happened again and had to play with my OB2 shaft. I still need to purchase the Vantage shaft again. The Vantage is a 12.9 so I had no need to adjust to the REVO shaft. Anytime you have your wood shaft sanded down, no matter how little, the shaft gets weaker and gains deflection. This is my main reason for wanting the REVO and have no intentions of going back to a wood shaft.

What the heck are you cleaning it with ? acid? lol I clean mine with a damp towel, dry towel , then burnish and it's perfect and plays no different in the 3 years I've had it. lol

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
What the heck are you cleaning it with ? acid? lol I clean mine with a damp towel, dry towel , then burnish and it's perfect and plays no different in the 3 years I've had it. lol

I know, I was reading about how he is replacing shafts 3 times now and Im like........ what?

I've shot HEAVILY with a Z-2 (YES I BREAK WITH IT), and that chicken-head is hot, straight and normal. I rarely clean it because I am generally a pig and not fussy about how laboratory clean my equipment is.

Dude.... you should need to replace that shaft about every 12 years or so. If sooner, then you are doing it wrong. Seek Help.

Lesh

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Needed a new shaft 3 times in a year?
Wow.
I've had the same regular wood shafts on some of my cues, for 20 years. Play just as good as the day I got them.

What are you using to clean your shafts? SOS steel wool pads?

3 new shafts in one year means you are clearly doing something completely wrong, or the product just flat out sucks.
That's insane.
Especially at $310 a pop

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't completely get the chalk out of the shaft and when I had it professionally cleaned they used a fine sand paper so I stated doing the same. I guess eventually the shafts got too thin and the laminates would start to come appart. Also I've never owned a break cue so I was breaking with it and apparently you shouldn't be breaking with it, so a vendor at one of the pool tournaments said.

About 3 months ago I invested in the new OB Rift break cue but still continued sanding the Vantage shaft to get the chalk out of it. Anyway, I knew I was doing damage to the shaft but I couldn't stand it's appearance when it had a tint of blue from the chalk plus I never applied a sealer after cleaning it and would sand it to get the chalk out.

I practice 6-10 hours a day and now use the new Kamui .98 chalk and love the fact that I only need to chalk every 2-3 games. There is little to no dust and my hand does not get blue from chalk dust in the table cloth. With the REVO shaft all my problems are solved plus I'll continue using my OB Rift break cue.

It's 8am, going to hit the practice room. Later.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony Robles has been playing with his for more than a year, and has said he'll never go back to a wood shaft again. That says a lot. Bob Jewett said that if it came in a smaller diameter it could well become his main player. That says a lot. I've played about 40 hrs so far, in the last 3 weeks with mine...and I LOVE IT. That said, I'm someone who adapts easily to playing with anything! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Couldn't completely get the chalk out?
WHAAAT?!

So it's all aesthetic then.
If that's the case, why don't you get some black stain, or a sharpie pen, and color your shafts all black.
That way, you won't see any blemishes that apparently bother you.

Sandpaper?
LOLOLOL

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't completely get the chalk out of the shaft and when I had it professionally cleaned they used a fine sand paper so I stated doing the same. I guess eventually the shafts got too thin and the laminates would start to come appart. Also I've never owned a break cue so I was breaking with it and apparently you shouldn't be breaking with it, so a vendor at one of the pool tournaments said.

About 3 months ago I invested in the new OB Rift break cue but still continued sanding the Vantage shaft to get the chalk out of it. Anyway, I knew I was doing damage to the shaft but I couldn't stand it's appearance when it had a tint of blue from the chalk plus I never applied a sealer after cleaning it and would sand it to get the chalk out.

I practice 6-10 hours a day and now use the new Kamui .98 chalk and love the fact that I only need to chalk every 2-3 games. There is little to no dust and my hand does not get blue from chalk dust in the table cloth. With the REVO shaft all my problems are solved plus I'll continue using my OB Rift break cue.

It's 8am, going to hit the practice room. Later.

Huh. Don't use sandpaper on a pool cue. There are plenty of other products out there to get chalk out. You could just try cleaning it more often...