Predator Revo shaft full review and deflection test

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
Predator is offering a Revo line that's cheaper now, $1300's retail. Won't be long and we'll all be able to get them. The description of being both stiff and low squirt appeals to me (if it's true).

http://www.predatorcues.com/revo/

It was very stiff. And low squirt. Hard to say how it compared to a 314-2 but it seemed to me like a black Vantage shaft with a weird look and feel.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It was very stiff. And low squirt. Hard to say how it compared to a 314-2 but it seemed to me like a black Vantage shaft with a weird look and feel.

LOL the "weird" part is what concerns me. It can take weeks to adapt to that radical of a change. Once a player adapts to it, assuming they like it and continue to use it, going back to a wooden shaft would probably seem very odd.

My assumption is Predator will create a neutral colored version, to help sighting. It also may help to paint a thin white or red sighting line down the shaft for that reason, and/or paint the ferrule. It definitely helps to have a visual aiming reference.

No matter what the impressions are, this is most likely the future of pool. It will be tweaked, improved and made more affordable as time goes on. There will be competitive shafts by other manufacturers and wood will slowly disappear as it has in most other sports.

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Personally I really like how the Revo plays. I tried it at the SBE and bought one at a pretty good discount from the list price.

I have played with cues from just about every major top cue maker and own quite a few cues. This shaft hits as well as any other cue I have every played with.

The things I like most about the Revo is durability, guaranteed not to warp, extremely difficult to ding, great feedback and very low deflection.

I don't care for not having a ferrule and the black shaft takes some time to get used to.

I have a gaffed shaft that was made for me by a friend where he put a piece of brass in the end of the shaft by the ferrule. This piece weighed less than an ounce and makes the shaft play so bad that anyone who tries to play with this cues goes crazy. Any average A player could beat a touring pro if they had to use this shaft. This proves to me that the mass at the end of a shaft is critical, and if a company like Predator can create a Carbon shaft that is very light closest to the tip it will deflect less than a normal shaft.

No shaft is going to turn an average player into a pro but a great shaft will make you play as well as you are capable.

Just about every sport has made advancements by using the newest technology. Look at Tennis, Golf, Baseball, etc... Pool is behind the curve because there isn't as much money in sales, I am glad Predator is leading the way.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Here's a REVO that I don't think has been seen anywhere.. I like this P3 Racer butt matched up to the REVO shaft (for looks).. :)

Been using it now for a few days, and, personally, it takes a little getting used to.. The extremely low deflection actually screws me up for the first few racks (I've been going back and forth between it, and my regular playing shaft, which I probably shouldn't be doing to give it a fair test run...)..

I'm curious to hear from Scott Lee about it after his test run on em...

Attachments

• 14662194390702.jpg
    14662194390702.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 14662194282571.jpg
    14662194282571.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,270
  • 14662194159840.jpg
    14662194159840.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,477

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Put up my Searing shaft directly to 5/16x14 lets see what is preferred! Remember the saying "Clapton is God" they misspelled Searing.' "Hell no I ain't happy"

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Is that a long pro-taper?

Hi LAMas,

I don't know if I'd consider it a 'Pro Taper', but it's 12.90mm.in diameter, and from the Predator Web site, 'a five percent increase in diameter over the first fourteen inches.'.

Personally, I don't think I like the thickness of it (12.90mm), being accustomed to a shaft diameter of between 12.20-12.50mm for so long...

I was shooting with it tonight and got into a money set, and ended up switching back to my normal shaft in the middle of the set... I wasn't down in the set, I was up 3-1, but was giving up a lot of weight (7-4 race) and just wasn't comfortable .

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rainman To each his own but In my opinion when you make a change to equipment you commit to it. Play with nothing but that for a week or more if you don't like it go back to your other shaft but going back and fourth is going to give you mixed results.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched Jasmine O playing with the Revo and haven't ever seen her play that bad
ever. If Predator didn't pay her, I'd bank on it that she would change in a heartbeat imo.
She looked very uncomfortable.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea

rainman To each his own but In my opinion when you make a change to equipment you commit to it. Play with nothing but that for a week or more if you don't like it go back to your other shaft but going back and fourth is going to give you mixed results.

I agree 100 percent if your going to try something different you should stick
only to that set up for at least 3 sessions of 3 to 4 hours each time.
This is just my opinion only but I think that picture rainman put up of that new
Predator is hideous, sorry but I couldn't see myself paying 400 for it let alone 1300
hundred. To each their own I guess.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member

Hi trob,

I agree with you 100%.. If your going to change equipment, do it completely, and for a minimum of a few weeks before judging anything..

I should have been more clear though, I have no intention of changing equipment, I'm only testing the REVO out to give it a good testing and get a feel for it for when my customers ask about it (instead of just saying, 'well. Predator says this, and Predator says that...').

Again, I simply just do not like a shaft 12.90mm thick, but that's a personal preference type thing.. I don't like the Vantage shaft for this same reason, and plenty of people do like the Vantage shaft..

I also have come to the conclusion that I don't like the tip, but again, that is also a personal preference thing (I prefer a hard tip, and use a G2 Hard)..

It does make for good conversation though, because I had quite a few players came up to me and asked what it was..

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I welcome new technology and I love black :p

But why on goods green earth somebody in this day in age would manufacture a high end shaft with only 12,9mm I cannot understand.
Most are playing 11,75 or 11,5 even. Cloth is rather fast and control and finesse instead of strength is needed.

I personally love my 9mm Snooker shaft and boy is it easy to shoot due to increased sighting.

If you blow money ... take Mezz or Exceed. At least a solid company is behind it.

Cheers,
M

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
This is just my opinion only but I think that picture rainman put up of that new
Predator is hideous, sorry but I couldn't see myself paying 400 for it let alone 1300
hundred. To each their own I guess.

Ya, it's definitely a to each his own kind of thing. Some people like hard tips, some like soft. Some like a light cue, some prefer a heavy one... The butt section pictured is not from a REVO model, it's the Racer LE P3. I was just using it to try the shaft out (the REVO shaft is from the curly maple wrapless model)..

I'd say the opinions from people who were checking it out last night were split down the middle pretty evenly, both for how it looks and how it plays (I was letting players try it out).

I've sold about a dozen of the REVO'S now, but only 1 to a local player (the rest online). The guy who bought it locally absolutely loves it, so I guess that is what really matters in the long run..

Rain-Man

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I welcome new technology and I love black :p

But why on goods green earth somebody in this day in age would manufacture a high end shaft with only 12,9mm I cannot understand.
Most are playing 11,75 or 11,5 even. Cloth is rather fast and control and finesse instead of strength is needed.

I personally love my 9mm Snooker shaft and boy is it easy to shoot due to increased sighting.

If you blow money ... take Mezz or Exceed. At least a solid company is behind it.

Cheers,
M

On the other revo thread, it was exposed that predator made a revo in 12.0 mm for Bob J.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5579595#post5579595

This proves that not only does predator have the capabilities of modifying size of revo but not telling the public about it.

I personally believe it is not logical to think that a professional player who has been locked into a certain size of shaft for years will make a transition to a 12.9mm and play just as well with it.

I also suspect that the early revo shafts made for some pros were also of varying sizes to accommodate them. I would like to get Darren Appleton to weigh in on the tip diameter he was given and if it was modified or built to his specs.

But for Predator and others to push a narrative that you should just buy it and get used to it at 12.mm is absurd.