Predator WPA World 8 Ball Championship 2023 (17-22 Oct 2023), Austria, Winner $75K

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This major has biggest 1st prize ($75K) of any event this decade !

Field
This looks like the field as of now https://cuescore.com/tournament/WPA+World+8-Ball+Men’s+Championship+2023/33857431
Only 20x800+ Fargo players in this 96 player field.
Alex Kazakis
Daniel Macioł
David Alcaide Bermudez
Eklent KaÇi
Fedor Gorst
Francisco Sanchez Ruiz
Joshua Filler
Kledio Kaçi
Mario He
Max Lechner
Niels Feijen
Olivér Szolnoki
Sanjin Pehlivanovic
Wiktor Zieliński
Wojciech Szewczyk
Albin Ouschan
Chang Jung-Lin
Naoyuki Oi
Shane Van Boening
Wu Kun Lin

Missing are Asian players playing in Hanoi Open like Kos, Yapp, the Filipinos probably as result of MR-WPA standoff. Let's hope they all put down their little pitch forks & water guns, kiss and make up :LOL:

Draw/ Match Schedule

Rules
rules1.JPG

Format
format1.JPG

Players Guide
https://probilliardseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/World-8-Ball-Men-Rules.pdf

Tournament Schedule
https://probilliardseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Klagenfurt-Schedule-compress.pdf

FREE Live Stream
https://streamstak.com/billiardtv/
https://www.youtube.com/@WorldBilliardTV

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When was the last 75K payday? (Not counting IPT). I vaguely recall the year Alex won the 9 ball world championships, he bet on himself to win with the bookies, and first prize was 75k. I think that was the mid 2000's or so.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When was the last 75K payday? (Not counting IPT). I vaguely recall the year Alex won the 9 ball world championships, he bet on himself to win with the bookies, and first prize was 75k. I think that was the mid 2000's or so.

i would think the 2007 world 9-ball (100k), won by daryl peach, but i'm not sure

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bit disappointed that neither corey, darren, bustie or melling are playing
Yes too bad. I am sure there 8 ball FR higher than their 9 ball or 10 ball FR.
Darren not playing probably cos he does not want to travel far to Austria.
But he is playing Predator World Teams Championship for GB next month in Puerto Rico- huge 1st prize $120K for winning team :LOL:

da1.JPG

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Any word on if there will be any free streams? I'd love to watch the top pros play 8-ball, but I won't have the time to justify paying for a stream

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any word on if there will be any free streams? I'd love to watch the top pros play 8-ball, but I won't have the time to justify paying for a stream

Predator Pro Billiards series events have always been streamed for free on these Youtube channel and streamstak website

They also have another Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@ProBilliardTV

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So MR guys can play WPA events but not the other way 'round, right? Such a cluster-f%&k.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So MR guys can play WPA events but not the other way 'round, right? Such a cluster-f%&k.
Anyone can play WPA, unless of course you want to also play in something else unaffiliated. Then you're not allowed to play WPA.

Hopefully my local room's mini tourneys stays off the WPA radar.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone can play WPA, unless of course you want to also play in something else unaffiliated. Then you're not allowed to play WPA.

i hope pete margo's great straight pool event stays off the WPA radar. i guess we'll see.

it really is an unfortunate development. all these MR events didn't exist 2-3 years ago, so it's not like WPA has lost money in them not being sanctioned. they don't want federation travel funds to go to players going to MR events - fine, but let them travel at their own cost then?

anyway, predator puts on good events, i hope this will be a nice one

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorst has a white flag. Maybe WPA/Pred/CSI missed the memo? I don't see how that's possible.
Which memo? MR has stated that it allows a player to represent a country based on permanent residence (which Fedor Gorst has just received from the USA). Many sporting authorities require citizenship, others have a period of a couple of years grace or more before someone can represent a different country. I'm all for MR over the WPA in terms of what it does for the sport, but the WPA has rules it has to follow. There is no memo.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

Local tourneys are fine as long as they don’t qualify for WPA sanctioning (over 25k added I think). The biggest risk for Canadians would likely be whether we would be barred from the Canadian Championships for competing in a matchroom event.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Local tourneys are fine as long as they don’t qualify for WPA sanctioning (over 25k added I think). The biggest risk for Canadians would likely be whether we would be barred from the Canadian Championships for competing in a matchroom event.
My first thought was if anyone in the CBSA would be paying enough attention to catch someone dabbling in both orgs. I'm guessing not...

Nothing in Canada risks coming even remotely close to that $25k threshold

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My first thought was if anyone in the CBSA would be paying enough attention to catch someone dabbling in both orgs. I'm guessing not...

Nothing in Canada risks coming even remotely close to that $25k threshold
I hadn’t even thought about enforceability. The top players will be easy enough to spot for the most part, but beyond that someone is going to need to spend a lot of time combing through players lists lol.