Pretty cool Efren video

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

He’s just lucky….
If he had a lot of left on this shot when he struck the cue ball how did the cue ball rebound virtually straight across the table?? The shot was so thin that I wouldn't think that cut I wouldn't think cut induced spin would not cancel any spin out of the cue ball and if was because he hit the CB hard then I would guess you would see the cue ball spin take on the second rail. I'm sure all of us here have shot similar shots at less angle to 3 rails around the table and the spin has a huge effect.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

That's the match where Efren forgot to Call the 9's pocket earlier and why he's waggin'
his cue at the corner pocket for that final shot.

hank

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99.99 % of us mortal humans would have banked that shot.
And going three rails for position didn't make sense to me.
I would have hit it with low right draw to land just above the side pocket.
But we all sometimes see shots differently.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember watching this match when it first aired many years ago- great match. So much suspense.

Great shot by Efren, especially considering the circumstances.

I know a lot of people don't like Mika, but I feel bad for him- bad roll in the final rack. Must have made him sick missing out on 50K

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 20 years since the full, original version of this tournament was televised, only one viewer beside myself ever publicly stated that they happened to catch the following touching and truly charming moment:

Efren, -- one of the kindest, most decent and humblest players who ever lived -- is privately a very religious man. Nothing emphasizes his sincere religiosity more than these brief seconds:

https://youtu.be/4IlqJmSe_gk?t=170

. . . where (now that you're alerted to it) you'll see the barely-discernable movement of his lips whispering a silent prayer -- then his fingers reaching up to touch his forehead in the "Amen" prayer-ending gesture learned in worldwide childhood years in many religions.

There can be little doubt that it was a heartfelt (and moving) plea that he be allowed an opportunity to be back at the table.

Arnaldo ~ Not religious myself, but I deeply admire Efren's decency and the astonishing talent he's been blessed with.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: