Pros and Cons Gambling

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I have seen and still see both sides.
If you are talking about Pool becoming a "mainstream" hobby/sport/activity,(pick your description), then I would say YES, it does hurt. Gambling to the straight amateur banger player makes them edgy. No one wants to be a sucker and lose $$ to a hustler.

It does not hurt to those that invite the challenge to the game. I remember travelling bar to bar with my dad who would play anyone a $5 game of pool and play as long as they wished to play. It was mostly play for fun, but did get "testy" at times. There were times my dad would dissappear for an entire Saturday. I NEVER went with him, but I knew what was going on. He got a real challenge, and I knew that B/C he would pull some crazy s!*t on the table at home friday nights.

btal

Registered
When I was a kid my concentration wasn't dependent on gambling. I "loved" the game and because of that love had a passion to improve. Every shot was important to me back then. Every time I stepped up to the table I never wanted to fail in my desired shot execution. What changed? Everything ...... once I started gambling many years later. The love of "money won" robbed a portion of that "love for the game". Who misses shots on purpose and thinks they'll excel to an elite level? I guess it all depends on what someone wants to do. I like Thorsten Hohmann's take when asked why he doesn't gamble. Wish I had heard it a long time ago.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does a player play pool because he likes to gamble or does he gamble because he likes to play pool? If the main interest is gambling, there's no real reason to improve -- just match up better.

I really think this is a major reason pool suffers. For decades, a pool hall was one of the few places you could gamble, often twenty-four seven. Then along came scratch offs, the lotto type drawings, poker machines, all kinds of gambling at our fingertips without the need to work like hell to learn how to make balls roll right.

Few have a pool addiction, millions have a gambling addiction. Pool halls for the most part have never recovered from the loss of gamblers who are getting their quick fixes other places. Any gambler believes they can get lucky. Few believe they can play great pool.

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen and still see both sides.
If you are talking about Pool becoming a "mainstream" hobby/sport/activity,(pick your description), then I would say YES, it does hurt. Gambling to the straight amateur banger player makes them edgy. No one wants to be a sucker and lose $$ to a hustler.

It does not hurt to those that invite the challenge to the game. I remember travelling bar to bar with my dad who would play anyone a $5 game of pool and play as long as they wished to play. It was mostly play for fun, but did get "testy" at times. There were times my dad would dissappear for an entire Saturday. I NEVER went with him, but I knew what was going on. He got a real challenge, and I knew that B/C he would pull some crazy s!*t on the table at home friday nights.
I don't think beating up on bangers for lunch money is what generally comes to mind when the majority of us think 'gambling'.

Id guess more are thinking of playing either acquaintances with whose games each is familiar with, or taking a big spot from a visiting world beater and trying your luck.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sports books and fanduel is popping up in every state and advertised on radio, tv and online. Taxable by the Gov. Gambling between pool players is not taxed. It used to be shady in the way of beatdowns if someone couldn't pay. Now, it doesn't matter. Gamble away. Only the pool room owner may take a hit if players are busted gambling. But, that's not likely to happen unless some loser, rats out to the irs.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night a friend said that gambling on pool in the usa "hurts" the sport.
Unfortunately you had to leave before we finished our discussion, so here are my further thoughts:

I don't think gambling in general hurts pool.
I don't think it is bad if there is some money on the line in amateur games, as some people here already said, it adds some seriousness.
I also don't think it is bad, if established top players play big money matches, since they are exciting to watch.

In my opinion the gambling culture in US pool is bad for players, who are one step from turning pro or even just a bit behind world class, because they have the option to make a living through gambling instead of becoming a tournament player.
In Europe a up and rising talent just has one path in front of him if he wants to play pool for a living and the few who rise to the top are pure beasts.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I've told this tale here before, so in advance, I ask forgiveness...but I do think it fits well in this thread.

I was (quit playing after disappointing eye surgery) strictly a low skills recreation player. More than once I heard the old "you'll never get better unless you play for money" line...it usually came from a lock artist looking to make a few bucks.

I'd reply, that no...I didn't play for money. However, if they wanted to play for money, I could call my (honorary) nephew who plays for money. They'd ask who he is...I'd give the name of a well known local player...a semi serious amateur with a near 700 Fargo.

Funniest thing...they suddenly didn't want to get better by playing for money.

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't be a ''better player" if they break like that, just ask Corey Deuel.
He did that once, he likes to experiment. He never did it again so I'm assuming he figured it wasn't a good idea. I think Shannon would have the best of it long term if Corey had kept at it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USA was tops in the world for decades, made with gambling. Philippines has been tops in the world since the 90's, made with gambling.

The key is the desire to win, to compete. It does not matter if it's for money or a trophy. There has to be competition.

I need something to try for, sometimes just banging balls of ozies isn't doing.I need a goal, i need a reason for motivation to play better. I find tournament play better for motivation 1 or 2 loses and i'm out. Gambling i can do this all night.
I NEVER GAMBLED MUCH,MAINLY PLAYED LOCAL TOUNAMENTS AT LEAST ONE A WEEK,BUT I liked to play these money players who had a rep, and nearly always come out on top

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Bob that there is a difference between the pool player who gambles and the gambler who plays pool. I've seen the difference and I've seen the transition for player to gambler and it can be ugly. A big thing for pool is the mainstream perception. I was asked by some friends why the 60 Minutes story said SVB doesn't gamble. I said it's the perception people have when that word is associated with pool and the image of hustling. They didn't want people thinking of him as a hustler.

If someone says they bet on a football game, no one (mostly) thinks of it as anything but a wager. If you have a friendly bet with your golfing buddies, same thing (mostly). If you say you are gambling at pool, then they (mostly) immediately think hustling. I knew some league players who wouldn't come into the pool room because they envisioned Fast Eddie Felson ready to rob them of their car and house so they just played in the small bars.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pros and Cons..... does it really has to be weighed out? Gambling hurts the pocket, maybe some relationships/marriages. Does not hurt the Bet that it's on. It does not hurt pool...

tomatoshooter

USA was tops in the world for decades, made with gambling. Philippines has been tops in the world since the 90's, made with gambling
If someone can consistently make money, the betting may mean they can work a day job less and practice more. From that standpoint, gambling could help pool. It's fun to play for money but I believe that the public perception of gambling on pool is unflattering, even though the seediness is greatly exaggerated.

Clusterbuster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For decades pool has been so intertwined with gambling, and particularly, hustling, that seedy pool halls and sharks robbing hapless suckers are now the permanent image of pool for huge numbers of people. This is one reason, among many, that pool has struggled in this country for decades. Gambling may be good for particular individuals but it’s hard to argue that it has helped the game as a whole. Although a number of factors contribute to a sport’s long term popularity, image is at the leading edge. While Europeans undoubtedly gamble a lot on pool the emphasis that they apparently place on pool academies/clubs, teams, and coaching not only undergirds European player development, but also the overall image of the game for many Europeans.

On another note, I’m always amazed at the people (notably, always the gamblers) who insist that gambling is the only way to get better. The issue is what motivates a particular individual. For some people, that may well be gambling. For others the stakes of staying in a tournament, winning league MVP or just beating their opponent provide plenty of motivation. Gambling may well be the only thing that motivates some people to improve their game but that doesn’t mean it’s the only motivation for everyone.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note, I’m always amazed at the people (notably, always the gamblers) who insist that gambling is the only way to get better. The issue is what motivates a particular individual. For some people, that may well be gambling. For others the stakes of staying in a tournament, winning league MVP or just beating their opponent provide plenty of motivation. Gambling may well be the only thing that motivates some people to improve their game but that doesn’t mean it’s the only motivation for everyone.
Money is usually the strongest incentive to win. It's also too strong for the majority. NOT losing becomes the priority. Mise well play only one hole.