Pros today vs the pros yesterday

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man doesn't evolve enough to matter over hundreds of years. Better nutrition and health care makes a difference though. For several generations the average height in the US was growing about .75" to 1.0" a generation. Now that the latest generation comes from parent stock that had much the same advantages the generational height changes have ended or even went backwards slightly.

I think if the older generation pool players came to today they would adapt rapidly and be competitive, they were used to adapting. If today's players could go back 50-75 years they would take a little longer to adapt but most would be competitive back then also. A few might not be flexible enough to adapt.

If Willie Mosconi in his prime could come to today and tour for Brunswick a year I don't think anyone in the world could touch him playing 14.1 afterwards. Not that we don't have great shooters today, but those great shots are often because they have to bail themselves out. You could wait all day and not see Willie make a mistake. His best shots might not be better than today's players but he was more consistent with the bread and butter shots than anyone today I believe.
Evolution of the species in pool is hopeless. The evolution required of pool is in its preparation. Fortunately that can happen if the pool force simply gets crackin'...

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Mosconi won 15 World Straight Pool Championships, I once saw a copy of a NYC newspaper with headlines “Mosconi World Cue King” he was a celebrity. I wonder how many balls Mosconi would have run if he could have set up camp to start a run miss start over until you reach your number. Not taking away from John or Jason but in last years American 14.1 championship neither of them had the high run. Zelinski 215 and Filler 216 and they both lost.
Although it's true that Mosconi did not set up camp, he did play a lot more straight pool. They all played a lot more back then, it was the game and not nineball. Personally, I respect both straight pool and one pocket, but it doesn't fit my personality today. My attention span has diminished quite a bit. Having said that, I think both games showcase the best cueists we have, better than other games.

Last edited:

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi won 15 World Straight Pool Championships, I once saw a copy of a NYC newspaper with headlines “Mosconi World Cue King” he was a celebrity. I wonder how many balls Mosconi would have run if he could have set up camp to start a run miss start over until you reach your number. Not taking away from John or Jason but in last years American 14.1 championship neither of them had the high run. Zelinski 215 and Filler 216 and they both lost.
Well in 14.1 it's not how man balls can you run, it's who you run them against.
Crane 150 and out vs Balsis in the FINALS
Sigel 150 and out vs Zuglan with only 4 left on winners side. As SJM knows, Zuglan proceeded to move to the one loss side and eliminate Ray Martin with a run of 148! Now that's two prett sporty matched back to back in crunch time.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who wins - 9 ball 5 against 5. Each race is first to 25 games on Today's equipment. No break rules but 9 on the spot.

SVB, Filler, Fedor, Ouchan, FSR
vs
Earl, Efren, Siegel, Archer, Busty

TeddyKGB

SVB beats Earl
Efren beats Filler with safety game
Fedor smokes Siegel
Ouchan and archer probably a hill hill toss up
FSR beats Busty

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well in 14.1 it's not how man balls can you run, it's who you run them against.
Yes, that's true, but in what other game/sport is a player primarily judged by how he performed on his very best day? Straight pool has a problem in this regard.

On my very best day, in the late 1990s, I ran a seven-pack at 9ball. It was not at all representative of my speed as a player, but that one day everything was going right. The fact is, there's no way that anyone should judge me based on how I played on my very best day. By the way, it was against a professional and I don't think that matters a lick.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's true, but in what other game/sport is a player primarily judged by how he performed on his very best day? Straight pool has a problem in this regard.

On my very best day, in the late 1990s, I ran a seven-pack at 9ball. It was not at all representative of my speed as a player, but that one day everything was going right. The fact is, there's no way that anyone should judge me based on how I played on my very best day. By the way, it was against a professional and I don't think that matters a lick.
In the early 70's I also ran a seven-pack, at the old Julian's Billiards Academy on Union Square in NYC. It was only for $2 a game, but the tables there were so sloppy I felt I could never miss. In terms of pocket size Julian's was no McGirr's.

And then a spectator sidled up to me and asked me if I knew who I was playing. I had no idea, but when I was told that he was the NY State Champion (whatever that might've meant) my stroke went downhill rather quickly. But then the best epiphany I ever had in my life was when I realized that I was never going to make a living playing pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the early 70's I also ran a seven-pack, at the old Julian's Billiards Academy on Union Square in NYC. It was only for $2 a game, but the tables there were so sloppy I felt I could never miss. In terms of pocket size Julian's was no McGirr's.

And then a spectator sidled up to me and asked me if I knew who I was playing. I had no idea, but when I was told that he was the NY State Champion (whatever that might've meant) my stroke went downhill rather quickly. But then the best epiphany I ever had in my life was when I realized that I was never going to make a living playing pool.
Ah, good memories. Julian's is the only place I ever saw Mosconi play.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Won't all of his exhibitions be the exact same thing as setting up games to hit some high number? Instead of doing 30 tries in one place he did 30 tries in 30 places.

I remember someone asking Parica what his high run was, he said 100, or 120, they asked why. He said "well the game is over when that happens so I win and stop playing". Sometimes players are not interested in things like records but how much $ they get after playing.

I think most of us that are not pro players would just not play if there was nothing in it but making money.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't all of his exhibitions be the exact same thing as setting up games to hit some high number? Instead of doing 30 tries in one place he did 30 tries in 30 places.

I remember someone asking Parica what his high run was, he said 100, or 120, they asked why. He said "well the game is over when that happens so I win and stop playing". Sometimes players are not interested in things like records but how much $ they get after playing.

I think most of us that are not pro players would just not play if there was nothing in it but making money.
So has Parica ever played Shaw or Schmidt in straight pool?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi won 15 World Straight Pool Championships, ...
No, actually, it was 19. Here is a list of the dates, locations, opponents and scores of Mosconi's 19 championships.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hilarious. Strongest tournament 9-ball players on this list would be prime Sigel and Strickland. Weakest would easily be Efren.
Prime Sigel never had to compete with the sort of international field that today's players have to, and even Earl never faced the depth of talent that the Fillers and the Gorsts and the FSRs and the Shaws and the SVBs are up against. How many great Taiwanese or Polish players did either of them have to go up against?

Not saying that they couldn't have competed with today's players, but there's no way that they could've dominated tournaments they way they did in their primes.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Prime Sigel never had to compete with the sort of international field that today's players have to, and even Earl never faced the depth of talent that the Fillers and the Gorsts and the FSRs and the Shaws and the SVBs are up against. How many great Taiwanese or Polish players did either of them have to go up against?

Not saying that they couldn't have competed with today's players, but there's no way that they could've dominated tournaments they way they did in their primes.
I was answering to someone inexplicably suggesting that Gorst would smoke Siegel (sic), but Efren would beat Filler. That tells me he never saw Sigel, who by far prime on prime was better than Efren in 9-ball. I see too many people giving Efren giving unrealistic kudos to Efen’s 9-ball game and totally dissing Sigel’s 9-ball game. It just tells me they never actually saw Sigel play.

If per that list Efren beats Filler, then Sigel does not get smoked by Gorst by any wet dream.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But that’s your guess. And I’m responding to one guy’s wrong opinion. If he has Efren (the worst on the list) beating Filler, then Prime Sigel was better than Efren. So was Prime Earl. They dominated their era. Today’s era has easier equipment, but tighter pocket. Anyone seeing Efren and Earl in their later years should be able to make the logical step to estimate how good they were in their prime (hint: they were much better than they were when they were past their primes). And Sigel ruled the roost.

Anyone who thinks that yesteray’s players would somehow fold on tighter equipment… you’re joking, right?

It is true that there wasn’t as many good players, but if anyone thinks that Prime Sigel and Prime Earl weren’t as good as the top players of today, I don’t think you’ll find many fans who actually have watched both eras agree.

I love Gorst, but anyone today can see that he’s had swings. Prime on Prime, he’s not dominating Prime Sigel by any wet dream. The quote is “Fedor smokes Siegel (sic).”

And that list… take away Efren, who would be the weak link, and replace with Prime Varner or Prime Buddy.
I didn't say that Prime Sigel and Earl (or Buddy or Nick) couldn't have held their own against today's field. (For back room action I'd take Buddy over anyone.) All I'm saying is that they couldn't dominate the way that they did then. The major tournament fields today are more like golf's, where any one of a dozen or more players has a legitimate shot of winning.* Unlike tennis, where the same 3 players have been dominant for what seems like forever.

As for equipment: Today's pockets are tighter, but the cloth is faster and more consistent, and climate control for major tournaments is vastly improved. I'd call it a wash. And much as I love my Revo shaft, I'm not really sure that even today's top level cues bring out your game much better than a vintage Balabushka. It always just comes down to the stroke, and great power strokes have been with us since before most of us were even born.

* Filler, Gorst, SVB, Shaw, FSR, Big Ko, Little Ko, Kaci, Chang, Yapp, Ouschan, Chua, Orcullo, not to mention some of the others (Aranas, He, Lechner, the Polish players) who've been knocking on the door.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't say that Prime Sigel and Earl (or Buddy or Nick) couldn't have held their own against today's field. (For back room action I'd take Buddy over anyone.) All I'm saying is that they couldn't dominate the way that they did then. The major tournament fields today are more like golf's, where any one of a dozen or more players has a legitimate shot of winning.* Unlike tennis, where the same 3 players have been dominant for what seems like forever.

As for equipment: Today's pockets are tighter, but the cloth is faster and more consistent, and climate control for major tournaments is vastly improved. I'd call it a wash. And much as I love my Revo shaft, I'm not really sure that even today's top level cues bring out your game much better than a vintage Balabushka. It always just comes down to the stroke, and great power strokes have been with us since before most of us were even born.

* Filler, Gorst, SVB, Shaw, FSR, Big Ko, Little Ko, Kaci, Chang, Yapp, Ouschan, Chua, Orcullo, not to mention some of the others (Aranas, He, Lechner, the Polish players) who've been knocking on the door.
I also never said they would dominate today. So it’s a bit of a strawman. Please see my updated post. My post was answering to the absurdity that Gorst would smoke Siegel (sic), and yet they had Efren beating Filler.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hilarious. Strongest tournament 9-ball players on this list would be prime Sigel and Strickland. Weakest would easily be Efren.
I can agree with this, what impressed me the most about Sigel is he knew how to win, which I believe is a skill same as any other. I'll never believe Sigel had Earl's or SVB's high gear, but, he won a lot, his record in final matches is amazing.

As far Efren goes, 9 ball was likely not his best game. I can see him losing to everyone on that list, especially with the 4" pockets. I've seen a ton of his matches, many shots just wouldn't fall on today's equipment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the legend, just an observation...

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how you can say Efren would 'easily' be the weakest with Busty and Archer also on that list. I agree that prime Sigel and Strickland are better tournament 9-ball players than prime Efren, but I wouldn't consider it 'easy' to say that prime Efren is worse than prime Busty and Archer.