Pulling Staples

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best puller I've found. It says C S Osborne & CO on it. What do you use?
IMG_0558 (2).JPG

Here's some rails that was on a table I bought. Look at all these staples! Pulling staples is the worst part of the job for me. And people scoff at the glue down method. Pfffff I use less staples on the whole set than he used on one rail. Not to mention the time it takes to strip them.
IMG_0554 (2).JPG

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I use a 5 in 1 painters tool , the pointy beveled edge is nice and gets right under them with out any damage. I like it because the handle on it is 3 to 4 times the size of those small handled tools.
I been using the same tool for 10 years and it may not work for others, but it is very very comfortable for me.
That tool in the wrong helpers hand: is tearing out a bunch of wood.

I learned very early a lesson about staples: I hated doing that part from the very beginning, so I thought to myself: I BETTER GET REALLY DANG GOOD AT REMOVING THEM!!

TFT

P.s. I use 1/4" leg Senco staples and they are super easy to remove. Who ever said using 3/8" staples was part of pool table work: should be whipped severely. I dont do a lot of recover work at all, but I run into long ass staples and they test my patience.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I have the C S Osborne & CO like yours, and also one of these:
tQco19m.jpg

A bent and sharpened flat screwdriver works really well too, but finding a screwdriver that's soft enough to bend is not always easy. Most of them will just break.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A linoleum knife removes staples pretty good for us amateurs who work on our own tables.
I might get one of those in post #4 the next time I need one since I'm a bit of a tool junkie.

Attachments

• 1652380404304.png
    1652380404304.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 53

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have used a double rock staple remover. It works great for me. View attachment 641518
That looks like a nice tool, handle is the right size! My theory is this: if you are going to do it a lot, you better have a comfortable tool.

I likely do it completely different than most people. I use the 5 in 1 to lift one leg and go all the way down the rail one way, very careful to not damage the wood and then pull them out with my trusty "diag" pliers back the way I came. They go nicely into my other hand and after the are all out: into my staple recycle bin! It has been a good technique for me for 10 years now :)

TFT

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Guy who take care of our tables has several puller tools, and big magnetic on handle for scooping up most of staples.

Few staples do make it to rug, so bring barefoot is not good idea, just after table are recovered.🤭

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best puller I've found. It says C S Osborne & CO on it. What do you use?
View attachment 640516

Here's some rails that was on a table I bought. Look at all these staples! Pulling staples is the worst part of the job for me. And people scoff at the glue down method. Pfffff I use less staples on the whole set than he used on one rail. Not to mention the time it takes to strip them.
View attachment 640518
I used to use staples like that. Experience taught me to rely on glue. Now the ends get 6 staples.... that's it.... unless the wood is chewed up too bad.