question about revos and kicking

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What did you measure your speed with?

Are you sure you were lined up exactly the same each time?

Are you sure the elevation of your cue was exactly the same every time?

Are you sure the stripe ball was exactly positioned the same every time? If so, what did you measure it with? Your eyeball?

Are you sure you hit the “exact” same spot on the rail each time?
Have you tried to control any of those variables to any degree? Or are you just arguing?

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried to control any of those variables to any degree? Or are you just arguing?

pj
chgo

You are the “scientist”.

Are your tests, done by hand and eyeball, conclusive?

Show us something measured by technology, if you are going to claim other people have to provide some kind of “proof”.

That is your argument most of the time (i.e., aiming, TOI, CTE, etc.).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are your untested “impressions” better or worse?

pj
chgo

Mine are better.

Now that we have settled it, carry on.

That will give you a little more time to shop online for a new slide rule, protractor, an abacus, and some fresh pocket protectors.

The rest of us, who actually play pool, will make our own minds up from results we have and continue to experience while playing the game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine are better.

Now that we have settled it, carry on.

That will give you a little more time to shop online for a new slide rule, protractor, an abacus, and some fresh pocket protectors.

The rest of us, who actually play pool, will make our own minds up from results we have and continue to experience while playing the game.
Could a HE vs. PJ "death match" ala Barton-Lou Fig. be just around the corner? The PPV for this thing could be EPIC. Loser has to accept the other's "facts" for one year. ;)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I know some pros who think the Earth is flat.

Can you beat them at pool?
Definitely not - and I doubt you can either. I guess that means you think the Earth is flat too, huh?

Mike Sigel thought there was no such thing as transferred spin or throw. Can you beat him at pool? If not, I guess you don't "believe in" those things either, huh?

So you're just arguing... I'm sure readers looking for answers appreciate it.

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely not - and I doubt you can either. I guess that means you think the Earth is flat too, huh?

Mike Sigel thought there was no such thing as transferred spin or throw. Can you beat him at pool? If not, I guess you don't "believe in" those things either, huh?

So you're just arguing... I'm sure readers looking for answers appreciate it.

pj
chgo

Are you now “The Answer Man”?

I consider some of the other posters’ comments to be as accurate or relevant as you consider yours.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't understand why my kicking game is so far off. On some kicks I miss the ball entirely where as I used to be able to pocket them or get close to the pocket .

It has gotten so bad that I will pull another cue out of my case to make a kick shot and then go back to shooting with the revo. It almost makes me want to go back to a maple shaft.

Any of you other revo owners experience that problem ?
Do you kick with a touch of english?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow ! I had no idea that question would cause such controversy but I do happen to use English . After running a shot over and over in my head that I attempted last I van see where I used too much english that shortened up my kick and caused me to miss the ball entirely.

Not a scientific method at all but i have made that same kick hundreds of times with a maple shaft and miss the same shots with my revo. I am thinking I use too much English for such a stiff shaft. Again ...not scientific proof on this either but I can draw a heck of a lot farther with my revo than I can with any of my maple shafts.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow ! I had no idea that question would cause such controversy but I do happen to use English . After running a shot over and over in my head that I attempted last I van see where I used too much english that shortened up my kick and caused me to miss the ball entirely.

Not a scientific method at all but i have made that same kick hundreds of times with a maple shaft and miss the same shots with my revo. I am thinking I use too much English for such a stiff shaft. Again ...not scientific proof on this either but I can draw a heck of a lot farther with my revo than I can with any of my maple shafts.

There’s nothing to do with the stiffness of the shaft. It has less squirt/cueball deflection than your 314. Therefore there’s less squirt to counteract the English than your 314. And it’s not about throw. It’s about swerve.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s nothing to do with the stiffness of the shaft. It has less squirr/cueball deflection than your 314. Therefore there’s less squirt to counteract the English than your 314. And it’s not about throw. It’s about swerve.

And I doubt the Revo has much less deflection than the 314.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've seen this several times, not specifically With kicking, but general position play. Some guy gets a New (usually ld) shaft and he starts punching and jabbing at the ball, rather than stroking. The Revo is especially prone to this issue (imo) because it's so god damned stiff and ld at the same time. If you're not careful that contraption is going to wreck Your stroke. It's not necessarily the shaft being bad, it's what People do With it once they get it. Luckily it's easily fixed, it's all up to you. Start shooting some slow, center ball kicks. You know, angle in-angle out stuff. Just gentle top spin shots, maybe a tiny touch of running English if you're on a Diamond (shudder). No shaft can wreck those shots, you can do them With a broomhandle, so if you're coming up short, you're definitely jabbing the ball. Once you really get in the grove With those (really Focus on hitting smooth, don't cheat yourself), you can graduate to more Advanced 2 and 3 cushion stuff, hitting them wiht the same quality stroke. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I really dislike the Revo, to me it feels completely dead, but really, most kick shots are not about the shaft at all. It's all knowledge and stroke. And if you're consistently getting long or short, the adjustments should be easily made.

It would be helpful if you went into more detail on the troubles you are having. Can you make a simple "corner 5" 3-railer? If not, are you coming up long or short? Can you make a 1 rail, 2-1 kick? If not, which speed(s) are you missing?The hard speed ones or the slow ones?

For instance, if you're coming up long, while still hitting smooth and softly on the 3 railer, you're overspinning the ball. This is what a lot of People on here seem to believe, but I really, really doubt it, because if that were the case, you'd probably easily be able to correct it With tip placement, and consistently going long on those would probably mean that you're either elevating the cue, hitting completely in the wrong Place, or you have a killer stroke. If you're short, you're probably jabbing the ball. It's a good stroke diagnosis tool. If you're all over the place, then your stroke is shit, sorry to say. Of course this can be remedied, but the shaft should not be blamed.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I can draw a heck of a lot farther with my revo than I can with any of my maple shafts.
That could be true, but it's not a sign that the Revo produces "more spin".

The effects of draw and follow, unlike the effects of side spin, are increased when you hit harder - and it's possible the Revo delivers a little more power for the same stroke speed, which would produce more draw or follow.

But that extra power doesn't increase the effects of side spin, because that depends only on the spin-to-speed ratio, which doesn't increase with more power (both spin and speed increase proportionally).

pj
chgo

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
All I've gotten from this thread is there are a couple of know it all types that have to be right.

Bright side Fred added some common sense.

And I'd guess you are applying more or less spin with your english than before. Adjust your english, or adjust your aim.